Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

D&C

(8 Posts)
Presh1234 Thu 15-Jun-17 16:57:23

Have put this on another board too.
So I'm highly anxious ALL the time!! I had a D&C today and so far have had very light spotting. Sorry for TMI but you know when you have your period and you get up or move and you can feel a sudden surge. Well I get that but nothing is coming out. I'm now panicking that something is wrong, I'm filling up and I'm going to end up having a huge flood or gush. 😓

Presh1234 Thu 15-Jun-17 16:57:39

Oh an no pain or discomfort either.

SpunBodgeSquarepants Thu 15-Jun-17 17:00:03

I had an ERPC in March and had nothing but very light spotting afterwards, then got my period bang on time 35 days later. Maybe it's just slight discomfort from the procedure?

Presh1234 Thu 15-Jun-17 17:06:10

Well I've just gone and checked my notes from today and it say "ERPC suction" so is this not a D&C? Are they different?

SpunBodgeSquarepants Thu 15-Jun-17 17:22:19

D&C is where they use equipment to effectively 'scrape' your womb lining and anything else away. ERPC is where they suck it out.

My consultant told me they tend not to do D&C anymore as there are less complications with ERPC.

Presh1234 Thu 15-Jun-17 17:28:13

Bloody hell I don't even know wtf I had today!!! So is there less bleeding after an ERPC?

SpunBodgeSquarepants Thu 15-Jun-17 18:58:54

I've never had a D&C, but after my ERPC I only spotted lightly for about a week

AncientOva Fri 16-Jun-17 16:14:53

They don't tend to refer to it as a D&C when you have surgical
management. It's just that some people refer to the procedure as a D&C. I think if you have endometriosis or similar you may end up having D&Cs, I can remember my friend's mum having one to try and sort out her heavy periods, but surgical management for miscarriage is slightly different.

Basically they remove the remaining tissue and pregnancy using suction and they call it either an MVA (manual vacuum aspiration) or ERPC (evacuation of remaining products of conception).

They do seem to be moving away from calling it an ERPC, and quite rightly imo, it's not particularly sensitively worded. MVA seems to be used when you have a local and ERPC when you have a general anaesthetic, but also used interchangeably. Safer just to call it 'surgical management' I think, rather than focussing on things like 'vacuum' and 'products of conception'.

I bled very little initially for the first couple of days after all of mine, but then had a few days of average bleeding, followed by a week or so of light brown discharge.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now