Talk

Advanced search

MMC 8 weeks- MVA?

(3 Posts)
PossibiliTea Sun 26-Mar-17 21:06:03

Hi looking for any advice please. Found out baby's heartbeat had stopped at 8 weeks and I'm booked in for the local anaesthetic procedure next week. I sort of know what to expect from the procedure but I'm not used to hospitals and don't know what to take in or what to expect. I know how silly that sounds.

It's very hard but I just need to focus on the practicalities of it at the moment.

Thank you in advance for your help x

GreedyDuck Mon 27-Mar-17 13:35:33

Hi, I'm so sorry that you're going through this. I've had two MVAs under local anaesthetic, the most recent was at Christmas.

Basically, they'll give you a pessary or tablets an hour or so beforehand to soften up your cervix. There'll be a consultant carrying out the procedure and probably a nurse or two in attendance. They use a scan to see what they are doing and to make sure nothing is left behind. My consultant was extremely kind and stopped whenever I asked her to. It was uncomfortable, but one of the nurses talked to me throughout about random things to keep
relaxed, and held my hand (my dp came with me to my first one and he was allowed to stay with me).

It was over pretty quickly, and after half an hour and a cup of tea and a biscuit I felt up to leaving. Very little bleeding afterwards and my period returned four weeks later.

It isn't pleasant, but I felt very reassured by how thorough the consultant was, and how gentle. I found being awake reassuring as well.

I hope it all goes ok for you. I got pg again seven weeks after my most recent one, so I wish you the same luck. flowers

PossibiliTea Mon 27-Mar-17 13:38:09

Thank you so much for your response, it has given me hope that next time will be right xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now