Talk

Advanced search

Not sure whether to be worrying or not

(25 Posts)
NW10teacher Sun 26-Mar-17 20:43:48

I feel I might be panicking unnecessarily, but I'm home on my own (OH is in Brussels for 2 weeks for work) and getting slightly stressed out.

I mc at the start of February at 8 wks and, completely unintentionally, got pregnant again very quickly. I was totally shocked (I didn't even know it could happen quite so soon...) and would have probably waited a little longer ideally, but once it sunk in we were both thrilled.

I am 5 wks now. Over the weekend I've had a bit of an upset tummy (which I think is a bug that's been going around school - I'm a teacher). But this evening I've been having some spotting - bright red blood, not heavy, but persistent. I've also been having some stomach cramps, but that might just be because of the D & V (sorry for tmi).

I'm panicking that it's happening again and I am going to lose it. I might be being totally paranoid and I don't want to waste anyone's time... I have called 111 and am waiting for a call back, but I don't know how much they can help so I am probably using up their staff time completely pointlessly. If anyone has any advice or experience, I'd be so, so grateful!

NavyandWhite Sun 26-Mar-17 20:47:05

It's natural for you to worry. Can you ring epu in the morning? Fingers crossed everything is ok for you.

NW10teacher Sun 26-Mar-17 20:50:17

I can and I think I will. I'm just worried that I will regret not doing anything tonight, but at the same time I am not sure what I can do!

NavyandWhite Sun 26-Mar-17 20:52:15

I don't think there's anything you can do sadly but wait and rest.

BakingWithPreSchoolerand6YO Sun 26-Mar-17 20:53:34

So sorry you're going through this worry.

Are you near an Early Pregnancy Unit? The one near me is attached to a major hospital so operates a "walk in" policy and is open until late every day. If you're near one, try giving them a ring and see what they say.

It doesn't have to mean a MC. In two pregnancies I had various shades of red bleeding, some light and some heavy, some accompanied by pain and cramps. I had this from a week or so after the positive preg test up to about 20 / 22 weeks. The results of those pregnancies are now 6 and 4 and fast asleep in their beds and they both have a myriad more ways to worry me daily than the bleeding that had me so fearful when I was carrying them. I had cervical erosion which may have been the cause of my bleeding, but doctors were unsure.

It's impossible not to fear the worst, so I won't tell you not to worry. Please though be kind to yourself, try to rest, and bear in mind there are other reasons for the bleeding than a MC and many of those other reason don't pose a threat to your baby.

Hoping you have a positive outcome. flowers

Doublechocolatetiffin Sun 26-Mar-17 20:59:12

I'm sorry you're going through this, especially alone. Definitely speak to someone, my experience of bleeding in early pregnancy is that they take it very seriously until they rule out ectopic pregnancy. Hopefully 111 will be able to advise you if it's worthy of a trip to A&E or not.

I'm so sorry, miscarriage is awful. I'm going through a missed miscarriage at the moment and can only imagine how stressed I'll be if I get pregnant again. I hope it's all ok.

NW10teacher Sun 26-Mar-17 21:01:07

Thank you so much - that is actually really reassuring! I'm happy to hear that your two pregnancies had happy outcomes.

Because it's the weekend the EPU is closed already unfortunately - so I suppose I can't do anything right now but watch and wait! Since I've been sick all weekend I do at least feel that I have a reasonable excuse not to go to work tomorrow if needs be...

NW10teacher Sun 26-Mar-17 21:03:21

So sorry for your loss, Doublechocolate.

NavyandWhite Sun 26-Mar-17 21:07:55

Fingers crossed it's just linked to your stomach bug. Ring unit first thing.

LastMangoInPeckham Sun 26-Mar-17 21:08:51

Sorry to hear what you are going through.

I had some bleeding in my last pregnancy. The pregnancy had followed a MC (by about 6 weeks) and it was terribly worrying. All I could do was wait until an early scan appt (about a week).

I knew what to expect from my recent MC so the fact that things didn't progress in the same way gave me some reassurance until I had the scan.

In my case, all was fine. I hope this is the same for you. Rest if you can, I won't say try not to worry!

Wishing you all the best

flowers xx

mamarach26 Sun 26-Mar-17 21:13:50

This exact thing happened to me, D&V and all it's totally normal to panic. I went for a internal scan and the blood was just a "normal bleed" I was 5 weeks. I'm now 22 weeks, I'm keeping you in my thoughts, get well soon!

NW10teacher Sun 26-Mar-17 21:33:29

Thank you for all your kind messages. The cramps were getting worse but then I was sick again, so I hope it's only this bug.

I think part of the reason why I'm freaking out is because I had a really upset stomach when I miscarried before... but logically I know that this is probably just the virus going round school and isn't related at all!

mamarach26 Sun 26-Mar-17 21:37:42

The worry is horrible, the best thing to do is try and relax get some rest and get a appointment tomorrow if you can so you're mind is at rest. They couldn't see a heartbeat on my first scan at 5 weeks they booked me in for 2 weeks later. So don't panic if you can't see anything!
Hope all is well!

NW10teacher Mon 27-Mar-17 10:29:41

Thanks for all your kindness last night! I'm heading to the EPU now. I had a bit more bleeding this morning, but not too heavy. I've still got bad cramps, but the second stage of the tummy bug has really kicked in and (sorry tmi coming up) I've been dashing to the loo every 20 mins since 2 in the morning. So hopefully it's just the virus and everything else is OK... Crossing fingers!

NavyandWhite Mon 27-Mar-17 10:31:37

You poor thing. Keeping everything crossed for you.

BakingWithPreSchoolerand6YO Mon 27-Mar-17 14:51:00

Hoping for the best for you flowers

findingmyfeet12 Mon 27-Mar-17 14:58:45

Hope everything is ok op.

Im currently 6 weeks and having some cramping today.

I miscarried last year at 11 weeks and I'm worried sick now. I'm constantly checking for bleeding and noticed a tiny smear last night.

Popskipiekin Mon 27-Mar-17 15:09:39

Hoping for positive outcomes for you OP and you too finding. I was in and out of the EPU with both my (ultimately healthy) pregnancies. Doctors said I had a particularly friable cervix which just bled at the slightest irritation.

Greenglassteacup Mon 27-Mar-17 15:48:39

How are you NW?

NW10teacher Mon 27-Mar-17 16:26:49

Not sure - at the EPU they did a scan and couldn't get the heartbeat, but they said that it's very likely that is just because I am only 5 weeks, and I should come back for another scan in 2 weeks. The bleeding might be concerning but isn't worrying, since it's not heavy. The tummy upset they are sure is gastroenteritis rather than anything more sinister - which I also thought. They said to get lots of rest and not to go back to work for a day or so.
I'm feeling rough and not 100% reassured, but a lot calmer!

Greenglassteacup Mon 27-Mar-17 16:50:31

Keeping fingers crossed for you

mamarach26 Mon 27-Mar-17 19:38:08

I really hope you feel better soon, they're right though you should rest for a few days. Like I said in my other post, couldn't find a heartbeat with me at 5 weeks but then I did after 2 weeks. I hope you're the same x

Chathamhouserules Mon 27-Mar-17 19:42:16

Good luck. I had bleeding in all 3 of pregnancies. They followed a mc at 11 weeks. So hopefully is all ok. Rest up.

NW10teacher Thu 30-Mar-17 10:23:01

Thank you all, for your lovely messages. I'm back at work now and so far all is well. I've had a bit more bleeding, but I'm trying not to worry - at least I'll now have the scan in a week and a half's time so I can get hopefully a clearer picture then.

I'm trying to take it a bit easy physically but it's hard in a (fairly tough) secondary school. So far today I've broken up a fight, carried three benches, been cannoned into by a 6'2 Year 11 student ("sorry miss, I never saw you!") and only narrowly avoided being conscripted to the staff vs students netball tournament after school! Lol.

NovemberBaby2017 Mon 10-Apr-17 10:24:38

@NW10teacher hi how are you getting on have you had your 2nd scan yet?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now