Talk

Advanced search

How many days off after an ERPC

(20 Posts)
DaisyFranceLynch Sat 25-Mar-17 08:35:23

I am having an ERPC the week after next (I need to wait for a second scan to confirm the miscarriage but I was certain of dates, so there's not much room for doubt).

I hadn't told my employers that I was pregnant and so I will just say I need to have minor surgery.

How many days off would I need to book - just the day of the operation or the following day(s) as well? It's a desk-based office job with some degree of running around between meetings. I've been on holiday this week so feel awkward taking time off again so soon, even though there's no way round it.

DaisyFranceLynch Sat 25-Mar-17 08:36:01

Sorry, I know I sound really blasé about it - I'm not, just trying to focus on practicalities since thinking about the emotional side of things makes me too sad.

Parastars Sat 25-Mar-17 09:17:45

I had one on Weds. Physically you will be fine; my bleeding has been minimal and I have not been in any discomfort.
However, yesterday I was all over the place emotionally and it was my hardest day since finding out baby had died. I will be back to work on Monday, dreading it to be honest. I think you will need to give yourself a couple of days personally.
Take care x

BelleBeauty82 Sat 25-Mar-17 09:42:18

I had an MVA last year and like Parastars I was physically ok after. Some minimal bleeding for about a week but was only like a small period.

Emotionally was a different matter. After the procedure everything that I had been bottling up really hit me. I was all over the place and I'm normally quite good at controlling my emotions. Give yourself a couple of days then see how you feel. xx

DaisyFranceLynch Sat 25-Mar-17 09:47:41

I'm so sorry for your loss, Parastars. I hope things feel a bit better on Monday and that work isn't too stressful.

I've been feeling very up and down since I found out. I have a son who is almost two and he has been cheering me up, but when I think about the baby I've lost I feel incredibly sad.

Thanks for your advice. I think I'll take two days off after the op - then it won't be long until the weekend.

DaisyFranceLynch Sat 25-Mar-17 19:29:16

Thanks very much BelleBeauty - really sorry that you went through this too. I'm going to ask for three days off including the operation and then see how I go. It sounds as if the time after the operation can be really tough emotionally.

BreatheDeep Sat 25-Mar-17 19:32:25

I was signed off for a week with mine. They didn't ask, just handed me the note when I was discharged. I felt fine after the first day though. Emotionally not so. Did manage to go round Ikea while off sick though! blush

FortyFacedFuckers Sat 25-Mar-17 19:48:15

I had mine on a Tuesday and took the rest of the week off, physically I could have went back to work the next day but i really wasn't in a good place emotionally.

Polly99 Sat 25-Mar-17 21:59:21

My first was on a Friday. I went to work Monday but my boss sent me home as I looked like shit and I was off until the following Monday.

With my second they handed me a note for a week off before I was discharged. Unfortunately it was in the name of some chap, but I still took a week. I thought that was as long as I could reasonably take, and I worked from home the last couple of days. That time I found that at the end of my first day back I started bleeding v heavily (through my trousers ) . It was like I'd really overdone it, even though my bleeding had to that point been quite reasonable.

I'd say a week is reasonable, but if you need more and can take it, then do. I've had 7 pregnancies, 5 of which failed, and I am pretty matter of fact about the losses. That's not always ideal, and sometimes I found I was still struggling to process weeks or months later. So just take your time.

AuditAngel Sat 25-Mar-17 22:05:08

I had my ERPC on a Tuesday morning, returned to work the following Monday.

I had a MMC detected at scan on the Friday, went to work on the Monday to handover work that couldn't wait for my return.

DaisyFranceLynch Sun 26-Mar-17 06:54:42

Thanks everyone.

I found out a week ago but because it was at a private scan, I'm having to wait another week for the ERPC so the hospital can do two scans themselves. So I will be at work all next week and hopefully have time to catch up with things and hand things over to colleagues.

I'll talk to my boss tomorrow and tell him I need an op which could take a few days or up to a week to recover. He would probably tell me to take the whole week, or as long as I need.

He's very supportive but I just feel awkward anyone knowing about the miscarriage - it seems so personal and makes me feel vulnerable for some reason. My team is quite gossipy and as a result people aren't really open about health issues, since if they do mention anything they end up getting talked about. I thought about making up something boring (wisdom teeth removal?) but not sure I'd be any good at sticking to a cover story.

I started bleeding properly yesterday (like a period, with the same sort of ache and "bearing down" feeling I get at the beginning of a period) after a week of spotting so maybe things will happen in their own time before the op.

Smurf123 Sun 26-Mar-17 13:59:21

I took a week and to be honest was really glad to be back at work... It keeps me busy... I'm a primary teacher so lots of running about.. I definitely needed the week and even the second week back was pale and tired by the end of the day but my work knew and we're very understanding. Sorry for your loss

Parastars Sun 26-Mar-17 18:14:48

I think planning to take the time is a very good idea Daisy
Hope it goes as well as it can, given the circumstances. Look after yourself.

DaisyFranceLynch Tue 28-Mar-17 22:53:44

Thanks again everyone. I think I have miscarried naturally over the weekend but I won't know until my scan on Thursday.

My boss was fine about my taking several days off and didn't ask any questions.

DaisyFranceLynch Mon 03-Apr-17 11:01:58

So I found out on Thursday that I haven't miscarried naturally and have to have the ERPC this afternoon. A bit nervous - they've given me misoprostol (sp) tablets to insert and we are heading off to the hospital in a few minutes.

PlayOnWurtz Mon 03-Apr-17 11:53:25

Hi hope it goes well. I'm also waiting for an ERPC today after finding out last week that I had had a mmc. I've had so many arguments and false starts to get to this point I'm half expecting it to be cancelled again. I've been off work this week just gone and will be signed off for a further week then have annual leave the week after. I work in a stressful customer facing role so need to be 100% before I go back.

Wishing you well and hope it goes ok.

flowers

DaisyFranceLynch Mon 03-Apr-17 19:42:36

Good luck playonwurtz. I hope that everything goes smoothly.

I went into hospital for 12 (having inserted the tablets at 11) and went into theatre at 315. I only started to get cramps at about 245, and they were never worse that period pains - the most painful thing was my blood test beforehand.

I was a bit nervous about being put to sleep, but in the end didn't even notice going under - and then I woke up half an hour later feeling a bit lightheaded, but with no pain. They gave me some codeine pills to take home but so far I haven't needed them - I'm a bit tired and weak feeling, and had some very mild cramps that quickly passed, but that's all.

It was a lot easier (physically) than having my wisdom teeth out. I'm just planning to spend a couple of days in bed with books, chocolate, tea and a hot water bottle.

PlayOnWurtz Mon 03-Apr-17 20:13:02

Rest up. Your surgery was at exactly the same time as mine bless you. I don't seem to be cramping either but was given fentanyl in surgery. Have a banging headache though. Chocolate and crap t.v. are definitely the way forwards I feel. flowers

Misssmoo Mon 03-Apr-17 20:19:47

I had mine yesterday and called for a sick note for a couple of days doctor has signed me off for a week..to be honest I feel rough today aching waist up amd throat is really sore...bleeding is non existent and no cramps. It's crap that we all went through thisn isn't it ..hope your all okay xx

DaisyFranceLynch Mon 03-Apr-17 20:51:15

flowersflowers for you PlayOnWurtz and MisssMoo. It is rubbish that we all had to go through this. Now on the sofa with fake gin (Seedlip - my pregnancy substitute for G&Ts) and chocolate, watching old episodes of Bake Off that my husband recorded for me...

My doctor said I should take off Tuesday and Wednesday but that I should be okay to work after that. I might work from home though and go back next Monday

Hope you're both feeling better soon 💐💐💐

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now