Advanced search

MTHFR homozygous c677t - how to get a specialist referral?

(4 Posts)
Moose23 Sun 19-Mar-17 14:30:54

Hi all,

After suffering two MMC in the last six months, 8 wasn't ready to try for a third and just have the same result.

I found a private GP surgery which offered most of the recurrent miscarriage blood tests without need for a referral. All were fine except I was positive for MTHFR c677t - homozygous. The brief recommendation was that I should supplement with 5MG folate (not folic acid)!

However, google recommends aspirin and perhaps heparin.

If I were to take these blood tests back to my NHS GP, would they refer me to a specialist for additional tests and a treatment plan? I am happy to pay private if needed.

I'm hesitant to just start taking 5MG folate and aspirin and self-managing, just in case it's not quite right for me.

Has anyone taken positive test results to their GP and successfully been referred to an RMC after less than 3 MCs?

OP’s posts: |
Polly99 Sun 19-Mar-17 20:29:07

If you are willing to go private there's no need to see your GP - you can self refer to a specialist.

Moose23 Mon 20-Mar-17 14:35:34

Oh really? Thank you. I'm looking at St Mary's RMC so thought I needed a referral. Anyway I'll chat with my GP and if I get no luck then I'll self refer!

Thanks again.

OP’s posts: |
Polly99 Mon 20-Mar-17 15:38:08

I went there after my second MC. I called Mr Rai's secretary for an appointment and went to see him in the next week or two. He sent me for bloods (including mthfr) and then we met a few weeks later to discuss the results. Just be aware he might want to do tests in addition to those you've already had which will increase cost (he does this clotting strength thing that I don't think everyone runs as standard).

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in