Talk

Advanced search

Pregnacy after MC

(14 Posts)
Luluringo Sun 19-Mar-17 12:01:26

I had a MC 19 days ago and am now healing physically and emotionally. I would like to try again soon but am unsure as to when would be the best time for this. My doctor told me that anytime is fine however I have been reading other people's stories and am seeing a slight link between a second MC and those who did not wait for their first AF.

Would anyone care to their their opinion/ story on ttc after MC. Should I wait for AF or start straight away? Thank you in advance.

emvy Sun 19-Mar-17 14:00:16

There is no medical reason why you need to wait for your first AF, apparently. Some women are advised to wait until after the first because sometimes there can be products left behind from the mc and these clear with the first AF and it is also easier to date a pregnancy if you have a period between pregnancies. However, I was not advised to wait and was told we could begin trying again as soon as the bleeding stopped and we felt emotionally ready. I was told to take a pregnancy test 3 weeks after my surgery for mmc and to expect a negative result and if not to go back for another scan. Because of this, we plan to wait until we have a negative test so as not to potentially confuse a new pregnancy with products left from the mc. I hope this makes sense. I think really, it is down to you. No link has been found between not waiting for your first AF and a second mc. Best of luck to you!

Luluringo Sun 19-Mar-17 14:15:28

Thank you emvy. I'm still waiting on my negative pregnancy test too. Going to test next weekend. I know that everyone says it's fine to go ahead before AF, I just keep reading about people who have done this and then have second MC. This is probably coincidental but if i have a second MC I'll probably have a voice inside me telling me I tried too soon!

Wishiwasmoiradingle2017 Sun 19-Mar-17 14:17:59

Having read medical stats on mc I can tell you statistically you are no more at risk of mc is you try again immediately. . Stats say more chance of a successful pregnancy if you conceive within 6 months of a loss. Dr sometimes say to wait a cycle as it makes it easier to date a future pregnancy that's all. Sorry for your loss flowers

emvy Sun 19-Mar-17 14:23:58

And understandably so! I would be the same but I also know that whenever I fall pregnant again and if I have another mc, I will also try to find an explanation for it, even if it's medically not probable. I don't think time will make a difference. Maybe the fact that you feel that you could influence a mc by doing that suggests you need to wait until after your AF just for your peace of mind if nothing else but I can guarantee you will find another reason to cling on to if you mc again even if you did wait. It's human nature. We try to reason because it makes us feel better. It certainly is coincidence, at least medically that's what findings tell us. You are just going to have to follow your heart with this one and make sure you sternly tell yourself it wasn't your fault if, god forbid, it does happen again.

Luluringo Sun 19-Mar-17 14:26:02

Thank you dingle 2017. That is useful to know.

Hoppinggreen Sun 19-Mar-17 14:31:19

I got pg by accident 1 week after a 12 week Mc and surgical intervention.
Although I had a physically ok pregnancy mentally it was very very hard as I didn't feel I had grieved enough for my first baby. I ended up with pnd but that might have been unrelated

MrPoppersPenguins Sun 19-Mar-17 14:49:38

I had a MMC and immediately tried to conceive again. I had a chemical pregnancy straight away. I just don't think my body was ready. I then decided to wait until I'd had another period before trying again. That time we conceived with the baby I'm waiting to deliver any day now. I just feel like my body needed to fully recover/regenerate without the immediate pressure of another conception. This is obviously just my opinion though. Good luck and sorry for your loss x

Luluringo Sun 19-Mar-17 14:52:11

Thank you everyone. It's great to hear people's experiences. Sounds like waiting for AF is probably best.

Swearwolf Sun 19-Mar-17 15:23:04

I'm so sorry for your loss. I had a mmc two years ago and would also recommend waiting. Partly because if you're a bit worried about it and you get pregnant, you might keep worrying more than you otherwise would, but also because my first period after the erpc was terrible. Not trying to worry you, but it was painful and heavy and dark, and the thought of conceiving a baby with all that in my womb made me really glad I'd waited.

Good luck, I hope it works out for you. My dd just celebrated her first birthday yesterday, exactly two years almost to the day after my mmc. Fingers crossed for good luck for you too flowers

Luluringo Sun 19-Mar-17 15:39:45

Thank you swearwolf. Can I ask, how.long did it take for you to get your first AF?

beansbananas Sun 19-Mar-17 15:44:48

I'm so sorry for your loss. I lost a baby at 17 weeks last year and it was extremely difficult. Like you I was keen to try again soon after. In my experience, I did not have a period for over 10 weeks afterwards, and my cycle was all over the place, so it was hard to know when I was ovulating. However following the first positive ovulation test, we were lucky enough to conceive again within 3 months of losing our baby. Happily I am now 33 weeks pregnant, and have fortunately had a reasonably smooth pregnancy this time. Whilst it felt at the time I was never going to be pregnant again, I think my body needed that time to recover. Try not to put too much pressure on yourself. My doctors said they recommend waiting 3 months, but mostly this is for psychological reasons. He said there is no reason to wait once you've had your first cycle, but to listen to your body as some people take longer to bounce back after a miscarriage than others. Anyway i wish you lots of luck with your future pregnancies.

Swearwolf Sun 19-Mar-17 17:57:41

I can't remember how long it took, but it wasn't an inordinately long time, it might even have been a standard month. I don't remember it being a long time (and it can't have been, because my girl was born exactly a year later and I had two periods in between) but at the same time it felt like forever. I felt a real worry about the clock ticking, about the lovely 3 year gap with my son stretching wider and wider, about not being pregnant on my birthday, Christmas etc. I just wanted to catch some of that lost pregnancy time line back I think. Every day just felt like forever, and I was almost panicked about it, but as soon as I got that bfp it suddenly felt like it had been no time at all.

Kellypotter1985 Mon 20-Mar-17 14:12:36

Hi I had my 3rd miscarriage on 9th Feb 2017 bled for 2 weeks on and off stopped bleeding on 23rd Feb had intercourse 24,26,27,28 hospital told me I'd have period 4weeks after my d&c on the 9th so my period shud of come on 9th march nearly 6 weeks on still no period had brown/pink discharge having all the preg symptoms that I had with my last pregnancy if not mre but negative urine and negative blood test hate not knowing what's goin on with my body. Can ne1 shed any light plz

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now