Talk

Advanced search

Miscarriage and milk has come in

(19 Posts)
Caitz27 Fri 24-Feb-17 00:34:41

Hi, I recently had a "miscarriage" at 23+4 weeks. My milk has come in and it's not only painful but heartbreaking. Does anybody have any advice on how to help with trying to stop it?

DianaMemorialJam Fri 24-Feb-17 00:39:36

Op I'm so so sorry this happened to you, flowers

I found the best way is to keep them strapped up with a tight bra like a sports bra, but if you go to the gp they can give you medicine to stop it.

Look after yourself flowers

DianaMemorialJam Fri 24-Feb-17 00:40:43

Sorry forgot to say if you're struggling with the pain, cocodamol is a good one to take for a couple of days, strong stuff it is.

kimblesj Fri 24-Feb-17 00:41:55

Caitz I'm so sorry you are going through this. We lost our son in April at 22 weeks and I remember only too well my milk coming in. I strapped up tight and had breast pads. The worst subsided in a couple of weeks but I found it heart wrenching too. Sending you lots of love and support for you and your beautiful baby xx

DianaMemorialJam Fri 24-Feb-17 00:44:21

kim flowers

TwentyCups Fri 24-Feb-17 00:44:58

flowers for you.
Mine was too early for milk so no advice sorry. However I did find the Samaritans hugely helpful when I needed an ear to listen they are always there for you if you are struggling.

Itsalwayssunny Fri 24-Feb-17 11:24:12

So sorry OP. Strapping them tight, don't let too much hot water hit them in the shower and savoy cabbage leaves, put them in the freezer then scrunch them before putting them in your bra. Mine went after a couple of days.

Caitz27 Fri 24-Feb-17 21:07:23

Thank you for all your support and advice. It's very much appreciated. My heart goes out to all of you that have gone through similar xx

DianaMemorialJam Fri 24-Feb-17 21:27:32

How are you feeling today op? Hope it is letting up a bit. flowers for you and your beautiful one X

Caitz27 Fri 24-Feb-17 21:54:39

I spend my time trying to constantly stay busy at work so that I don't have to think about it but of course it's always there. Have strapped up in a sports bra and will try the cabbage thing too seeing as it seems to work for many. Just really hoping it will stop soon because the reminder that I do not have my baby to feed is unbearable xx

DianaMemorialJam Fri 24-Feb-17 22:07:43

Bless you flowers

Are you able to take some time off work? Or do you feel better being busy? Please look after yourself, you can always come on here and rant whenever you need to X

Caitz27 Sat 25-Feb-17 12:27:22

I am able to have some time off work, but I feel like I just need to remain as distracted as I can and my job is very busy. My manager is aware of everything though so if I ever feel that it's all too much I can take time off so at least that is good. It is nice to talk on here, especially with people who have been through similar. Been very closed off with people around me so this is a bit of an outlet for me x

DianaMemorialJam Sat 25-Feb-17 13:45:46

It is so difficult isn't it. I have had a very early loss a couple of years ago so I can't even imagine what you're going through, but I'm glad your boss is supportive. So many times I read on here that women's work are just cloth eared and completely mindless. flowers for you

Your baby knows he/she was loved by you, and they will always be with you no matter what X

Blahblahblah33 Sat 25-Feb-17 13:54:00

Earth Mama Angel Baby make a No More Milk tea which I think you can get on amazon. I haven't used it myself but it might be worth a try? So sorry for your loss x

calilark Sat 25-Feb-17 13:56:18

Decongestants help as well with drying up milk, so maybe some Sudafed or cold & flu stuff. Very sorry for your loss xx

Caitz27 Sat 25-Feb-17 23:52:52

You are all so very lovely. Thank you for the support and advice. I will have a look on amazon. DianaMemorialJam, a loss is a loss regardless how early or late it is. Yes it can become a more traumatic physical experience in some ways the further along you are but you love your child as soon as you know it's growing inside you and to lose them at any stage is heartbreaking so I'm also very sorry for your own loss. I know that mine was a little boy and I will always remember and love him. I have been thinking about getting something to commemorate him by, especially because he seems to be considered medically as a fetus rather than my son. I have a few tattoos and I'm getting a small one done that just has the writing "I still carry you". A simple but perfect way for me to acknowledge it xx

DianaMemorialJam Sun 26-Feb-17 10:41:24

Op that is such a beautiful idea. He is your son, no matter what.

if you don't mind me asking, have you named your wee Angel?

MrsGlam Sun 26-Feb-17 11:36:52

Really sorry for your loss of your little boy [flowers.
I had 2 losses 19 weeks and 20 weeks and in hospital they gave me some tablets to take to stop my milk coming in. Might be worth chatting to your GP?
Must be heartbreaking on top of everything else!.
The tattoo sounds lovely smile

MollyofTheFolly Sun 26-Feb-17 16:12:43

I'm so sorry for the loss of your son, i am sending you much love and kind thoughts. I lost my son at 17 weeks last year and still had my milk come in, as others have said, I found wearing a tight bra, day and night, helped, as did not letting the shower water directly on to them. I understand what you mean about needing to keep busy with work, but do take them up on the offer of time off when you feel ready, I found I had several weeks where I needed headspace just to grieve and process the loss of my son. Your tattoo sounds a beautiful tribute to your little boy. Take care of yourself x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now