Talk

Advanced search

Still bleeding 8 weeks post miscarriage.. when will this end?! [sad]

(8 Posts)
danxo Wed 22-Feb-17 19:48:06

Hi guys.. first I'll give you my story. Started spotting a few days before Christmas at around 6 weeks pregnant, then turned to bleeding on Boxing Day. The actual 'miscarriage' happened the following week and over new year, but it's now 22/02/17, 8 weeks later and I'm still bleeding. Not just spotting either, regular period like flow with clots and it's been like this from the start really.. the odd few hours of just spotting(bliss, honestly). Blood tests from yesterday have came back to show my hcg is within normal levels so my gp said she is referring me for a scan but I have to wait up to two weeks! If my levels are now normal then why on earth am I still bleeding.. anybody had an experience like this? I really am just so exhausted and this being my first pregnancy after a year of trying I'm keen to start trying again straight away. Wish this bleeding would stop! Anything anybody recommends?

Cocoabean25 Wed 22-Feb-17 22:37:18

So sorry to hear about your miscarriage. I would definitely see the gp again and see if they can get you an urgent appointment. Have they checked for things like infection?

danxo Thu 23-Feb-17 16:30:05

Rang the gp again this morning and she's booked my appointment for Wednesday.. can't get it any sooner sad

Cocoabean25 Thu 23-Feb-17 18:50:54

Miscarriage is hard enough without having to go through that as well. Glad you got an apppointment. Did you tell them how urgent it was? Some doctors surgeries are so useless at giving out appointments.

champagneplanet Thu 23-Feb-17 18:55:25

So sorry to hear about your miscarriage.

Is there an Early Pregnancy Unit/Gynaecology Emergency Unit in a hospital near you? It may be worth a call to them to explain what has happened. If you miscarried naturally then you may have retained some tissue. An EPU may book you in for a scan so you'll be effectively cutting out the GP bit.

flowers for you.

TheMasterNotMargarita Thu 23-Feb-17 18:56:01

I bled for 12 weeks after mine.
Was scanned and bloods done, apparently nothing untoward.
Ended up having norethisterone to stop bleeding for 10 days.
Then had a period and passed a bit of retained tissue that was missed on the scan.
So it might be that.
If it was an infection you would likely have some pain/fever (I had an infection too about 2 weeks after the miscarriage).
Hope you get it sorted soon, it's rotten.flowers

danxo Thu 23-Feb-17 20:25:53

Yeah honey, doctor knows how urgent it is as she's the one who has done all my pelvic exams and even told me herself I am 'extremely clotty'. EPU won't see me because my hcg levels are normal now, hence why I'm having to go through gp sad not infection either, feel totally fine plus the doc gave me antibiotics as a precaution anyway. She's also swabbed me every time she's examined me. Just so fed up now grr.. guess will have to see what they say at the scan!

danxo Thu 30-Mar-17 12:29:15

Thought I'd update as I'm no closer to this ending than I was a month ago.. Had a scan 29th feb in which the doctor couldn't see any retained tissue. She gave me no reason, no indication as to why I have now been bleeding for 14 weeks, absolutely nothing. I wasn't even up off of her table before she said her goodbyes and just left me lying in confusion. She referred me back to my gp who then referred me to a gyno.. (not before she sent me to the EPU fully knowing that my hcg levels are now normal, EPU refused to see me) and I'm currently still waiting for a gyno appointment which my gp informs me can take up to 6 weeks.. its been 3 already. There has been no break in bleeding, its been constant for 14 weeks even to the point of changing pads every 10 minutes. I'm in pain some days, some days not. I can't work as the bleeding is often just too heavy, and the pain gets to the point of being unable to walk. But apparently I don't qualify for an urgent gyno appointment.. My faith in the NHS has totally diminished after this whole process. All I feel is that I'm being passed around from person to person, with no real care to my health. My mental health is suffering hugely from this, I don't even feel like I can grieve for my baby properly yet. Nobody really I can talk to, the doctors wont even listen any more. Just want to be able to move on

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now