Talk

Advanced search

How long can HCG stay in your bloodstream after ERPC? Confused

(11 Posts)
PollyCazaletWannabe Sat 11-Feb-17 01:52:09

I was diagnosed with a missed miscarriage in January when my baby should have been 9 weeks but was measuring only 5-6, Had ERPC on 23rd Jan (so 12 days ago) and was told that the baby had died at 5 weeks 6 days. However, today when I took a clear blue test it said 1-2 weeks pregnant.
Now last weekend (2 weeks after the procedure) DH and I DTD with no protection a couple of times, then on Sunday /Monday I had really stretchy mucus and felt strongly that I had ovulated. There's no way that the test could be picking up a new pregnancy right? It's much more likely to be HCG left over from before my ERPC- am I right? Any advice appreciated!

Pinkandwhite Sat 11-Feb-17 02:40:42

Firstly, I am really sorry for your loss Polly. When you say you DTD last weekend, you mean the weekend of the 4th/5th Feb don't you? If so, I'm sorry to say I think it's unlikely you would be getting a positive from a new pregnancy on a digital clear blue test because they aren't very sensitive. I think it is far more likely that there is still HCG in your system from the pregnancy you lost. I hope I'm wrong though.

PollyCazaletWannabe Sat 11-Feb-17 03:08:00

Thanks for your reply pink. I agree with you tbh. Just being a bit silly and hoping against hope!
Any other thoughts appreciated smile

PollyCazaletWannabe Sat 11-Feb-17 05:17:03

Bumping for traffic

tigerdog Sat 11-Feb-17 06:11:12

I'm so sorry for your loss. I've also been through this recently. It took over three weeks for the HCG to leave my system after my mmc at 11 weeks (measuring at 9 weeks 4 days) back in November. I then had a period at that point (which seemed different to usual - darker and less painful but lasted 8 days) and then a long cycle, ovulating a week late on cd 21.

I also agree that it is unlikely to be a new pregnancy this early but I thought that ovulation wasn't possible with hcg still in your system? I guess the only way to be sure is to test again in a few days. I found it useful to track ovulation so I knew what was going on - I was worried about my cycle not going back to normal.

PollyCazaletWannabe Sat 11-Feb-17 08:15:46

Thank you tiger. I'm sorry for your loss too sad the thing is that I don't actually know if I ovulated or not but the mucus seemed exactly right. I am a bit confused about tracking now, as I haven't had a period - don't I need to wait until after that to track?

PollyCazaletWannabe Sat 11-Feb-17 10:52:12

Bumping again, sorry blush desperate for answers

tigerdog Sat 11-Feb-17 11:00:06

I don't think anyone can give you a concrete answer - it's a waiting game. My suggestion would be to track the hcg with cheap strip tests - either it will get fainter as it leaves your system or darker if you are pregnant. I tracked mine until I got a clear negative. Based on the timings though, I would say a new pregnancy is unlikely but not impossible I guess.

Wombletor Sat 11-Feb-17 11:03:17

Sorry for your loss. I tested weekly after my ERPC and only got a negative 3 weeks after.

InfinityPlusOne Sat 11-Feb-17 11:17:05

I am sorry about your loss. I had a very early miscarriage at 6 weeks. Bled very lightly for 2 weeks after finding out I was miscarrying, went on holidays for two weeks and came back to find I was pregnant again. It is possible but it sounds like it's too early to tell yet and as you were further along in the pregnancy than I would have been it is possible that you still have a high level of HCG in your system. All I can advise is waiting a bit longer and seeing if the tests stay positive. Best of luck OP

PollyCazaletWannabe Sat 11-Feb-17 13:11:34

Thank you all for your kind words smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now