Talk

Advanced search

Post traumatic stress

(13 Posts)
monkeytree Fri 10-Feb-17 15:20:27

Hi

I suffered a late miscarriage 2 years ago and I am convinced I am suffering from post traumatic stress following this.

My trigger is a woman who gave birth a week after my late ds was due. I seem unable to get over or comprehend how she was able to carry her pregnancy and then give birth and I didn't. When I catch glimpses of her or the child it makes me feel agitated and awful like it brings everything back to the surface again. I just want to move away from here (not far) to get away from the physical reminders 2 main ones. I am rocky but not too bad around others of a similar age to what ds would have been also usually able to extract myself or distance myself but it is this one situation that is the trigger. I have taken ad's had bereavement Counselling etc. I just keep being told by people to face my major triggers square on but I honestly don't think this is right and I know I have come along way since the early days ie coping better with pregnant women/babies. I am fortunate to have 2 dc's and youngest is off to pre-school which means I don't have to hang out at baby groups. I'm older now and very unlikely to have any more children, I just want to move on from pregnancy and baby related stuff in real life. Most of my friends have older 8+ age children now and I feel more comfortable with them.

Anyone experienced trigger situations, anyone made a break and changed their physical environment? Would be glad to hear from you X

Greenglassteacup Fri 10-Feb-17 17:02:29

Hello OP. Sorry to hear you're having such a distressing time. Here is the diagnostic criteria for PTSD. Have a look to see if you are having symptoms of PTSD as this may help you to access the best treatment. All the best

www.ptsd.va.gov/professional/PTSD-overview/dsm5_criteria_ptsd.asp

Pinkandwhite Sat 11-Feb-17 01:29:44

I am really sorry you are experiencing this. It sounds totally understandable to me. A lot of women do experience PTSD following a miscarriage. I wish I could suggest something helpful. I really hope someone else comes along soon with something useful to say.

Greenglassteacup Sat 11-Feb-17 09:56:44

CBT for PTSD is available on the NHS. Check that your symptoms fit with those on the list I linked to & if so speak to your GP about a referral for therapy OP

Katkin14 Sat 11-Feb-17 10:04:45

Completely different circumstances, but I was diagnosed with PTSD following a traumatic birth. My breakthrough came from meeting with the matron and a consultant at the maternity unit who convinced me it hadn't been my fault. Even though I hadn't realised that was the key at the time, that understanding gave me what I needed to let it go.

PastysPrincess Sat 11-Feb-17 10:11:34

I had PTSD after a traumatic birth; I was referred to medical psychology and had EMDR therapy which was excellent. You need therapy; you can't live your life trying to avoid triggers. Mine was pregnant women and crying infants. You do need to face them but via counselling.

Greenglassteacup Sat 11-Feb-17 10:38:30

All good advice OP

alltheworld Sat 11-Feb-17 10:43:01

Try emdr. Expensive but only a few sessions needed

Nospringflower Sat 11-Feb-17 10:48:46

Sorry to hear you are still suffering.

In Edinburgh you can now self-refer to NHS trauma services and they will assess you and be able to provide the best therapy depending on your individual presentation so it could be EMDR, CBT, or other combinations.

In other areas service provision will vary but I believe NHS services are best and also free so discuss this with your GP and they should be able to refer you.

Greenglassteacup Sat 11-Feb-17 12:41:37

EMDR can be accessed in the NHS

PastysPrincess Sat 11-Feb-17 13:12:33

Yes, I recieved EMDR via the NHS too.

monkeytree Sat 11-Feb-17 20:29:20

Thank you ladies. I have received emdr in the past for a serious Road traffic accident I was involved in and it was effective. I just know I'm going to get in such a state reliving it, my emdr therapist was male, understanding? I never received my follow up from consultant, I couldn't return to the maternity unit where follow up was held and they made it really difficult to arrange an appointment elsewhere despite my GP recommending it, it was a battle I couldn't face at the time. Post Mortem said no cause could be found and just consoled myself that nothing could be added. I have a lot of anger directed towards the consultant. There was probably nothing that could be done, growth of baby had slowed, measuring small, amniotic fluid v. Low, the consultant didn't consider it urgent and sent me away for a week instead of seeing me the following day. I had actually rung his secretary with my concerns the next day but assured it wasn't considered very urgent. The consultant a week later at my scan was amazed my baby had died. I really don't know if I have the strength to dredge it all back up. At the end of the day ds has gone and this woman's child is a physical reminder of what should have been. I'm not totally sure that I want emdr to take it away if I'm honest, it's painful and it should be. I just want a change of scene.

Nospringflower Sat 11-Feb-17 22:51:12

It sounds like an awful situation you were in and understandable that in some ways you don't want the pain taken away and also dont want to have to think about it all again. At least you know that talking therapies are an option if you think that it would be helpful. Sorry you have had to go through this.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now