Advanced search

Third miscarriage. What to ask doctor?

(5 Posts)
Adogcalledcat Thu 09-Feb-17 10:32:05

So I'm currently having my third consecutive miscarriage since having my ds 3 years ago. I'm seeing the doctor tomorrow & just wanted any tips on what I should be asking them. I've already had day 21 hormone testing but that's all.
Many thanks for any advice you can offer. Sorry we're all here flowers

Pinkandwhite Thu 09-Feb-17 12:13:19

I'm so sorry you have just had your third consecutive miscarriage. I have also just had my third miscarriage since having my dd 2.5 years ago. I had one before her as well so 4 in total.

I'm not sure exactly what you will want to ask your doctor but I think you will want to ask for a referral to a specialist so that you can have all of the standard repeat miscarriage tests done. I live overseas at the moment which is why I'm not entirely sure of how it works there.

Last night I joined 2 Facebook groups about recurrent miscarriage which I'm hoping will have some useful information. It might be worth checking those out.

Also, here is a link to a thread I started which was responded to by an incredibly knowledgable mumsnetter:

I was totally ready to go straight for IVF when I found out I was miscarrying this time but she has given me some fantastic advice/information.

Itscurtainsforyou Thu 09-Feb-17 12:25:29

So sorry to hear this.

Agree that you need to ask for a referral to a recurrent miscarriage specialist.

Depending on your gp it might be worth doing some research on potential specialists near to you. For example I know that there are clinics like this in Manchester and London (and probably lots of other places too).

I had a range of blood tests and was found to be a carrier for a blood disorder that may have had an impact, so was given blood thinning injections throughout my pregnancy. I was also given various other treatments to help sustain my subsequent pregnancy - the specialists will know various methods to give your next pregnancy the best chance.

Wishing you lots of luck and flowers

Adogcalledcat Thu 09-Feb-17 13:43:12

Thank you both so much for answering.

I'll look into specialist clinics in Manchester as I'm not too far from there. Prior to this miscarriage my GP has been very supportive so I'm hoping they will continue to be so.

Thank you again.

Itscurtainsforyou Thu 09-Feb-17 14:33:09

If you're near Manchester, st Marys has a number of clinics and is also a research centre for Tommy's charity (miscarriage, stillbirth etc)

All the best flowers

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: