Talk

Advanced search

Preparation before ERPC

(12 Posts)
Danglybits Mon 30-Jan-17 09:07:05

Sorry to ask a silly question. The doctor told me to make sure I used no cosmetics before my ERPC this week -- no deodorant, cream etc.

Seems really random! Also, I will stink if I don't wear deodorant. What's the reason and does it really matter?!

CordeliaFitzgerald Tue 31-Jan-17 06:52:33

It's just a surgical rule - they stick little heart tracer things on you, vaguely near your arm pits which might not work if there is deodorant on your skin. Also an infection risk I'd guess. Don't worry about smelling, you'll be fine!
Hope it goes ok for you.

gingerbubs Tue 31-Jan-17 07:00:32

I wasn't told this before very similar procedure (x2). I would have thought a little deodorant would be fine but maybe call up and check, explain that you are stressing? They probably just don't want you slathered in moisturisers or with heavy make up that they can't monitor your face/skin tone while you are under anaesthetic and recovering. Equally they won't care a jot if you don't wear any though. Hope it goes ok x

SloanePeterson Tue 31-Jan-17 07:03:40

Sorry for you loss flowers for what it's worth, I had this procedure as an emergency and was wearing deodorant and makeup. No idea how much of it was left on me after the day I had, but none of it was wiped off to my knowledge. Go with whatever you feel comfortable with, I'd say you could always remove it just before the procedure if you'd feel better wearing it to the hospital. All the best x

Danglybits Tue 31-Jan-17 09:04:05

Ah thanks, makes sense.

I'm sitting here waiting, in my gown, paper knickers and anticlot stockings...

NovaArt3mis Tue 31-Jan-17 09:51:01

Thinking of you dangly flowers

I have to do the same next Monday although I'm starting to think it might start naturally before then.

Danglybits Tue 31-Jan-17 12:55:13

It's all over. Much better than I feared. No flies circling round the naturally pongy pits yet...

So grateful for MN at a time like this. Advice and support on these boards is invaluable.

Danglybits Tue 31-Jan-17 12:56:47

(Was v teary in recovery as it hit me that it was all over -- but staff generally v kind.)

SloanePeterson Tue 31-Jan-17 13:09:16

Glad it went well x I was told that women often react to a general anaesthetic by being a bit weepy when they come round, and that's been true for me for everything, not just upsetting things but tonsillectomy and wisdom teeth extractions too. I think sometimes a damn good sob is just down to relief. I felt much better after the procedure, minimal blood loss. Please do rest as much as you can though, be very kind to yourself x

littlepooch Tue 31-Jan-17 14:34:15

I'm glad it went well. Look after yourself and take it easy today and tomorrow if you can xx

fluffiny31 Tue 31-Jan-17 20:28:44

I've got to go through this tomo. Well i think its the same thing. I'm really dreading it and don't want to say goodbye. Was you in a lot of pain after? And was your partner allowed to stay?

Danglybits Wed 01-Feb-17 09:08:49

Good luck today fluffy.

I was in pain straight after the op so they gave me morphine which was great. I've only had to have a bit of paracetamol since.

No partners couldn't stay at my hospital. Honestly it's fine. Staff are really nice and there's loads of admin to do anyway -- long forms, changing into a gown, doing a wee sample (impossible if you're fasting!!) etc.

I took a book and also had some things to listen to downloaded on my phone. Great distraction especially afterwards when I was a bit groggy.

All the best flowers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now