Talk

Advanced search

Methotrexate for ectopic pregnancy

(11 Posts)
JC23 Thu 19-Jan-17 11:10:25

Just wondering if anyone has any experience or knowledge?

I'm due to have my first shot tomorrow.

My main worry at the moment is about breastfeeding my 14 month old. He's only on two feeds a day so I believe it's ok to resume feeding him 48 hours after the injection.

I'm also wondering about the side effects and how I'm going to feel and what I need to tell my boss.

Thingymaboob Thu 19-Jan-17 19:06:09

Don't go back to work until you've miscarried. It might take more than one injection. Ectopic needs to be taken seriously. Also, most employers will not count pregnancy related illness as counting towards sickness. Tell your boss honestly. Be prepared to take 2 weeks off. You might be fine. Methotrexate will make you feel rough. I'm not sure about breastfeeding. So sorry you've been through this! X

JC23 Thu 19-Jan-17 21:52:42

Thank you. I have emailed my boss explaining the situation.
When I go for the shot today I hope they will give me some more information about the process and side effects. But I think it will just be mostly wait-and-see. Sounds like different people can react very differently.

Caterina99 Fri 20-Jan-17 02:56:57

I had it in October. I felt a bit queasy for about 24 hours and that was it physically for me. and I got a couple of mouth ulcers which were horrible. Obviously emotionally is a whole different story so take as much time as you need.

They measured hcg on the day, day 4 and then day 7 and were looking for a significant drop between day 4 and 7. Apparently it usually increases by day 4. I only had one injection. Took about 4 weeks for hcg to fall to zero. I didn't have much bleeding straight after the treatment, but got a period/bleed after hcg had dropped. That period was horrific. Very heavy and crampy and I felt very lightheaded. Periods have been normal since then and we have now passed the 3 months so are ttc again.

Good luck

Caterina99 Fri 20-Jan-17 02:59:53

And I wasn't breastfeeding so sorry I have no idea about that aspect. My DS was 16m at the time. It's hard with a little one so get some help with him

ThumbWitchesAbroad Fri 20-Jan-17 03:07:51

My friend had to have MTX after a molar pregnancy that didn't all clear with the D&C. She was very sick, and had bad abdominal pain. But she was unusual. However, as a "worst case scenario", I'd prepare to be off for a couple of days at least (or until you miscarry, as said above).

Hopefully your boss will understand that this is a "won't know how bad it is til it happens" sort of situation and be flexible.

sixandoot Fri 20-Jan-17 03:33:40

Evidence-based info here www.infantrisk.com/forum/search?searchJSON=%7B%22keywords%22%3A%22methotrexate%22%2C%22sort%22%3A%7B%22created%22%3A%22desc%22%7D%2C%22ignore_protected%22%3A1%7D regarding this medication when breastfeeding.
Other excellent sources of information about pharmacology in lactation include The Breastfeeding Network's Drugs Factsheets www.breastfeedingnetwork.org.uk/drugs-factsheets/ and LactMed toxnet.nlm.nih.gov/newtoxnet/lactmed.htm.

JC23 Fri 20-Jan-17 10:44:42

Thank you for your comments

I had the shot 8 hours ago and feeling ok.

Good luck TTC Caterina99

JC23 Fri 27-Jan-17 06:32:19

It's now 7 days since I had the methotrexate. Blood test yesterday was borderline so they've let me have a couple more days before another blood test and possible second shot.
I had awful pain last night and dizzy and sick feeling. Didn't sleep all night. Hoping it was separation pain and that it won't continue. Feeling exhausted and miserable. sad

Thingymaboob Fri 27-Jan-17 19:33:06

Goodness. How are you emotionally?

JC23 Sun 29-Jan-17 05:31:13

I wasn't ttc and I didn't even know I was pregnant so fortunately I haven't had to deal with it as a loss in that way. Thank you for asking.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now