Talk

Advanced search

Future pregnancies after stillbirth

(7 Posts)
Pudge831 Mon 09-Jan-17 09:45:09

Just after a bit of advice/reassurance. Our beautiful daughter Willow was born sleeping at 41 weeks and 5 days, we are still awaiting her post mortem results. We are desperate to be parents and are wanting to start trying again. I wondered for anyone who's been in the same situation what additional care you was offered, additional scans, appointments ect and if you were induced early, are you allowed to ask for a planned c section. The thought of having a natural birth terrifies me as it's just too traumatic (willow had already passed away the day before birth) thank you

shirkingworking Mon 09-Jan-17 09:57:07

I'm so sorry Pudge. Thankfully I have not been in your situation but my sister had an earlier loss and went on to have a healthy pregnancy a baby and was able to request a planned c section. Clinical guidelines (NICE guidelines) allow ALL women, no matter what their circumstances, to request a c section. My sister had to go for an assessment with a psychologist first, which is fairly standard with most hospitals, but the consultant supported her request for a c section even though there was no 'medical' need in her case. (She had a healthy vaginal birth before.). I'm sure your consultant will support you when the time comes. I do know somebody who went through the same thing and went on to have a healthy baby - she found SANDS very supportive. I think people can only really understand if they have been through it themselves. They'll also have a lot of information. My friend now volunteers for them. Please consider getting in touch with them when you are ready. I'm so sorry again to hear about little Willow. What a beautiful name.

Pudge831 Mon 09-Jan-17 10:22:44

Thank you for your kind words and taking the time to reply xxx

shirkingworking Mon 09-Jan-17 13:36:46

Pudge - SANDS would be able to answer all your questions but I also know you will get extra scans, appointments with consultants etc. if you want them - you should be offered them anyway. My friend did (she travelled to St George's even though it wasn't her closest hospital) and she found it reassuring although she couldn't relax until she took her healthy baby home with her. I'm sure somebody with experience (sadly) will post soon. Best of luck and I'm so sorry again xx

Pudge831 Mon 09-Jan-17 15:25:15

No thank you that's reassuring, I see the consultant at the end of Jan for Willow's results so hopefully he'll be able to answer some questions, I'm just a bit impatient. Thanks again xx

Seacrown Mon 09-Jan-17 22:12:16

Hi Pudge
I have attended a bereavement group for over a year. Not my story but a friend who attends had a stillbirth Sept 15. She is now 15weeks pregnant, having regular scans and is going to be induced at 38 weeks. So care for rainbow babies is definitely there x

Pudge831 Tue 10-Jan-17 02:06:39

Thank you seacrown x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now