Talk

Advanced search

Should be 10+3 scan shows babies meassure 8w4 no heart beat. Chances they could be wrong???

(17 Posts)
1sttimemummyedinburgh Mon 19-Dec-16 21:23:54

I had an early scan at 6 weeks seen sac and yolk sac no baby or heart beat but i was told this was normal at 6 weeks. Today I had a reassurance scan I should be 10w3 and it showed 2 babies in the same sac however neither had a heart beat and meassured at 8w4. Im absolutely devastaed however i just wanted to ask what do you think the chances of them getting it wrong are? My bladder was not full and therefore the view was not as good as it could be. Am I just trying to give myself faulse hope?

Thank you x

whyistherumgone Mon 19-Dec-16 21:34:01

so sorry to hear this. Did you have an internal scan as well?

1sttimemummyedinburgh Mon 19-Dec-16 21:55:46

Hi whyistherumgone thank you. No not an internal which i thought I would have just to make 100% sure.

SleepFreeZone Mon 19-Dec-16 22:02:40

I would say as heart breaking as it is that you need to believe the scan 😔 I'm so sorry. I've had two natural misarriages and one MMC where we found out that the baby had died at 11 weeks. We subsequently found out the baby had Downs so at least I had an explanation.

Was the scan done by your hospital or was it privately? If privately you need to get it contact with your local EAU and tell them the results of your scan and they should ask you to come in. If they confirm the results are bad then they should give you your options at that point.

I'm so sorry flowers

1sttimemummyedinburgh Mon 19-Dec-16 22:10:48

Hi SleepFreeZone thank you, it was done through NHS and so I have been given my options all awful. I just think an internal scan would put my mind at rest before making my choice of leaving it to go naturally or taking the tablet. I have a 4yo DS so natural my be very difficult. I just hope they have made a mistake. 😕

whyistherumgone Mon 19-Dec-16 22:58:33

I understand how you feel. I should be 9, measuring 6, got to go back for another scan but they've primed me for the worst.
I would still ask for an internal if it will help you get closure. I have found it easier to try and make my peace with it and accept it as difficult as that has been - don't get me wrong I still have moments of hope but I expect the next scan will have a clear conclusion.
I know some scans can be inaccurate and some of these instances have happy endings but heartbreakingly I think at 8 weeks you should be able to see a heartbeat. If I were you I would request another scan but I would also start to prepare myself for the worst as hard as that may be xxx

So sad so many of us find ourselves in this situation. I will be thinking of you X

Miami81 Tue 20-Dec-16 07:24:43

Hi 1sttime I am also in Edinburgh, and totally agree with rum about getting back in touch with epu to ask for an internal scan, I have had to go there twice now for miscarriages and they have always been very nice and understanding.
Unfortunately it sounds to me like things are very unlikely to progress well for you, I am so sorry. It is very difficult and it can be very hard to take in what they are saying to you straight after your very sad scan.
Please take your time, nobody needs you to make a decision other then yourself. Can I ask if you had any symptoms that had taken you to the epu in the first place?? My first time I had just started to spot and that was my only indication that something was wrong, it did make it slightly easier to believe that the pregnancy wasn't going to progress though if you know what I mean.
Anyway please mind yourself over the next couple of days and weeks. Take your time, ring epu and talk to them and don't worry about your options yet, when you get there many threads on mn about options and outcomes that are all very helpful.
If you need to know anything specific about epu in Edinburgh or the options they give you feel free to pm me and I will try to help out.
Again sorry to see you here.

SleepFreeZone Tue 20-Dec-16 08:05:22

I thought they would double check the heart beat had stopped before they did my D&C but no. They were satisfied the earlier scan was correct and the procedure went ahead.

1sttimemummyedinburgh Mon 02-Jan-17 14:12:55

Thank you all for sharing your stories it makes it feel a little less lonely. So I went back on the 22nd for an internal scan and my little babies actually measured 9 weeks. No heart beat or movement from either. The staff in the epu were outstanding I was so scared and didn't know what to do. Because it was twins and I had a Major PPH after my son was born really the best option was the ERPC. I had this done on the 23rd first thing and the Surgeon and anesthetic were great. Surgery was bad and I was in and out in around 5 hours all together surgery being just 15 mins. I'm still bleeding now and have a sore lower back but ok. Emotionally not so much but DP and DS are keeping me going. My scan was due on the 4th and this is when we planned to tell DS so this week is going to be hard.

I wish you all the best much love!! X X

Miami81 Tue 03-Jan-17 18:25:19

Hi 1sttime
My scan was due to be tomorrow as well. So hard. I am glad things went as smoothly as poss for you. All the best.
Be kind to yourself tomorrow. flowers

ImaLannister Tue 03-Jan-17 18:50:49

Firstly sorry for your loss OP and everyone else's losses on here. I too had a miscarriage. My early 9 week 2 day scan showed no heartbeat and baby measured 8+3, which they said that was when baby's heartbeat stopped. I had internal one also. But I didn't want to believe either. I was holding on to a tiny bit of hope that they must be wrong. I requested another scan around a week later to be sure (for myself) which they did for me and on this one baby was measuring even smaller as it was starting to shrink back into my uterus wall getting ready to miscarry. It was then real for me. I'm afraid you must trust the scan, it is almost always right. The technology they use is very very sensitive and will almost certainly pick up even the faintest little heartbeat. Currently trying again. This has got me all teary reading your post as it just brings back the awful memory. I wish you well OP flowers

ImaLannister Tue 03-Jan-17 18:54:55

Sorry I have just read your update and have seen that you have miscarried. Be kind to yourself OP. flowers

1sttimemummyedinburgh Tue 03-Jan-17 23:52:48

Oh Miami it's just shit isn't it! I just don't understand! I don't really know what to do with myself.

Ima thank you for sharing your story may I ask did you miscarry naturally or have an erpc I hope you are feeling ok it's just terribly rubbish.

I want to try straight away but worried as it was twins and therefore a lot of tissue so may even more chance of left over tissue I. Advised to wait a cycle bit don't want to but also do the want to but myself and possible baby at risk because of my wants.

Feel very low useless at the moment trying to feel strong and lucky to have my DS but my poor babies.

1sttimemummyedinburgh Tue 03-Jan-17 23:54:51

Obviously meant to be don't want to put myself or possibly baby at risk. Sorry not reading what I have written

ImaLannister Wed 04-Jan-17 07:33:25

I naturally miscarried. Took around 3 weeks to naturally miscarry from the time baby had died. Altho I did opt for the D&C but just my luck I naturally miscarried the night before my scheduled op would you believe. N the pain, let's not even go there...
I miscarried In May last year, didn't start trying again until August. Since then I've had 2 chemical pregnancies (positive test only to have a heavy period few days after, apparently the egg was fertilised but failed to survive). So I'm booked in with the Doctors tomorrow to see if they can refer me for testing coz I'm sick of it now n I'm sat here thinking there is something wrong with me.
N yeah to put it quite bland it's heartbreaking and fucking shit. I've had enough of it all. The things we have to put up with being a woman.

ImaLannister Wed 04-Jan-17 07:41:05

It is advised to wait a cycle, doctor told me 3 cycles. But apparently your really fertile straight after a miscarriage. But I didn't want to try again so suddenly, as I couldn't cope incase it happened again so suddenly after my first one. It might not happen again, but I didn't want to take that chance, I wasn't ready. I needed a break. I'm ready now tho. But of course your never over it, it just gets easier as time goes on I guess.

Miami81 Wed 04-Jan-17 13:27:11

1sttime if you feel ready then you should be fine. If you feel like you would blame yourself (like we all do, over every tiny little detail) if you went ahead and there were some complication then perhaps best to wait a cycle. That's kind of how I worked it out in my head anyway.
We have waited both times as I wanted to be completely certain of dates with no chance of reassurance scan measurements being iffy.
Also it is slightly reassuring when AF comes to know that your body is all set and ready to go - it helped me with the emotional side to know that I was physically back on track.
But honestly listen to yourself and your instincts.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now