Really heavy period after miscarriage... Advice please?

(7 Posts)
littletike Fri 18-Nov-16 18:51:18

I had a miscarriage 3-4 weeks ago and I think I'm having my first period since though it's difficult to tell because bleeding has been on and off in between.

Today I've filled a moon cup at least 3 times and the last time was in about an hour and a half and it over flowed.

So at what point do I get concerned about how heavy the bleeding is?

somethingfromnothing Sat 19-Nov-16 14:39:34

I'm 5 days into my what I think is my first post mc period and it's awful. The bleeding is so heavy. I've had 2 other pregnancy loses and my period has never been like this before. Did your bleeding stop or is it still heavy?

Mrsharper2016 Thu 24-Nov-16 00:18:27

Dr said it will be very heavy for the first period and quite painfully. She said it is because the uterus is trying to heal and get rid of the 'left-overs'. But I thought uterus is doing so every month isn't it? but she is quite right about the pain and heavy flow. My second AF is not as painful but definitely heavy as well.

KittyandTeal Thu 24-Nov-16 18:28:13

My period afte both my losses (22 and 14 weeks) were horrifically heavy and painful. They were ok again after that

TurquoiseDress Fri 25-Nov-16 01:49:28

I had a missed miscarriage over the summer- my first period afterwards was incredibly heavy- soaking through tampons etc which has never happened before!

It all added to the misery of having a MMC, losing a much wanted baby.

The second one was pretty heavy too but since then have gone back to normal for me, which is light/medium.

As I've been on the pill for over a decade, only having breaks when I was pregnant, I was worried that my 'normal' periods were very heavy ones. luckily not the case.

HairyScaryMonster Sun 11-Dec-16 21:28:47

My first period after mc really took me by surprise. Excluding the clots in the mc, I think it was actually heavier. It was v traumatic. If your filling more than a cup of blood per hour it's worth ringing 111 or if you're getting dizzy etc.

Lizziedoll Tue 13-Dec-16 19:26:37

I also had a heavier than normal period after my early miscarriage in July but it is to be expected apparently. If you are worried, go see the doctor? But I think as long as there is no sign of infection (foul smell) or haemorrhage (changing pads more than once an hour) then it's all fine smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now