Hair loss after long and complicated miscarriage?

(10 Posts)
MonkeyPoozzled76 Sun 16-Oct-16 23:28:55

Hi ladies, it's been 8 weeks since my MMC, I've had a bit of a rough time of it. I lost my baby at about 10 weeks and had an ERPC the day after I found out. I had to have a second ERPC 3 weeks later for retained products and heavy bleeding. I've only just stopped bleeding now. I've been scanned weekly and had Hcg tests since as after the second ERPC I was told it was most likely a partial molar pregnancy. I'm being monitored by Charring Cross for this and my levels are nearly down so fingers crossed. I've still got some retained stuff but hopefully this will come away when I finally get my period back.

I'm starting to feel physically OK again and the emotional side of things has calmed down somewhat but I've been loosing my hair for the last few weeks, great handfuls everyday, all over the house. It's starting to be noticeable and it's really upsetting me. Anemia is improving and thyroid is OK according to bloods, consultant just shrugs and says it's one of those things sad

Have any of you lovely ladies had anything similar after your losses or have any advise on how to stop it? I should be relieved to be coming out the other side of a really shitty few months but this just takes the sodding biscuit!

TisMeTheLadFromTheBar Mon 17-Oct-16 21:28:36

I lost a lot of hair after my last pregnancy. I am currently having a mc. I have noticed my hair is falling out easily - it's the change in hormones. It truly is a miserable time. I'm sorry for your loss. flowers

RoseAnnear Mon 17-Oct-16 23:19:35

I l

RoseAnnear Mon 17-Oct-16 23:21:02

I lost 2 babies 4 weeks ago and my hair is now coming out in clumps. Not straightening or drying has helped a little. As has investing in a wide tooth comb and changing my products to non silicone, paraben and alcohol.

I feel your pain!

MonkeyPoozzled76 Tue 18-Oct-16 00:03:21

Tis and Rose, thank you for your replies, so sorry for your the loss of your babies flowers

I'm also sorry to hear you are both loosing hair too, I've never heard it mentioned in relation to miscarriage before, only after full term births. It's completely taken me by surprise, after everything we've had happen it's just so rubbish.

I'm consoling myself with the fact that the weather has turned so I can now wear a wooly hat without looking too daft.

VikingChallenger Tue 18-Oct-16 00:11:27

Absolutely normal.
From experience I can tell you nothing worked. Not for me at least. Let it run its course.
Sorry about your lossflowers

YNK Tue 18-Oct-16 00:24:35

Both miscarriage and hair loss can be symptoms of B12 deficiency.
Ask for blood tests for B12, folate and ferritin.
Dont take any B12 supplements until you have the test - even a multivit or an energy drink will skew the result for 4 months!

www.b12deficiency.info/b12-and-pregnancy/

TisMeTheLadFromTheBar Wed 19-Oct-16 01:15:35

YNK I am sure you are only trying to be helpful and you meant well but your B12 'facts' don't give me any comfort or a reasons, why I lost my Baby.
My B12 levels were of "normal" range. Nobody, especially Medical Staff can give me a reason, why my Baby died (I have had many painful days and nights asking and searching for an answer, why did this happen? Am I to blame? What could I have done differently?) The only explanation they gave me was; 1 in 4 pregnancies ends in miscarriage and sometimes there is no way of knowing. sad
Hair loss is very common after a pregnancy and miscarriage because of hormone levels changing.

YNK Wed 19-Oct-16 01:22:27

Im very sorry for your loss xx

TisMeTheLadFromTheBar Wed 19-Oct-16 01:34:15

Thank you YNK. I'm in the very early stages of grief and it is very difficult. It's a cruel world. xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now