Advanced search

Medical Management

(3 Posts)
pissedoff2016 Mon 26-Sep-16 14:27:09

3 weeks ago at the weekend I started to have spotting,I went to the weekend clinic and was told this is normal but to go to the epc at the hospital on Monday,i was 7 weeks at this point,the epc couldn't get me in until the Tuesday,On the Tuesday I had a scan and they could see the gestational sac but nothing else,the sonographer was convinced it was too early to see anything and that I might have my dates wrong,had blood tests on that day and again on Thursday,my blood results were going up but not quickly enough so they were concerned it might be an ectopic pregnancy,so back in again on the Friday for another scan with a consultant,she ruled out ectopic and asked for more blood to be taking the next day and another scan the following Friday.The blood test results showed my hormone levels were going up but still not doubling and the scan on the following Friday showed the same,just a gestational sac,again they wanted me back in on Monday for another scan with the top consultant to get me a diagnosis,he said it was a miscarriage where the sac grows but no baby ever starts to grow inside,they talked me through my options,wait for a natural miscarriage,medical management or d and c,i decided to have the medical management.
I went in yesterday morning,i was quite scared as I had read lots of horror stories online about medical management being awful,i had the pessaries put in at about 10 oclock, they said if they didn't work they would try again at 1 then 4,i was allowed to walk around the hospital but not leave the grounds,nothing happened the first time,the tablets actually fell out when I went to the toilet,just before I had the second lot I started to feel little niggles,then once I had the second lot, I lay on the bed for about an hour and started to get period type pain,then I started to bleed,it wasn't horrendous it was quite heavy at times but for me it was just like a heavy period,i had to use bed pans so the nurses could see if anything was in them,the tablets kept coming out and when I wiped there was a tiny little sac,then not long after that I felt a strange dripping sensation,checked my pad and there was something hanging out of me (sorry for tmi) which was product as they called it,after that I bled quite heavily but again just like a heavy period,i was in at 9am and out at 8pm,i should have been allowed out at about half 4 as I was fine by then but I needed an injection which took them ages to sort out.I just wanted to post this here to reassure people that yes for some people it can be horrible but for me it was like a bad period and wasn't even painful,so don't let other peoples horror stories put you off,the one thing I would say though is that you do see the sac and i don't think i would have coped very well seeing that if there had been a baby inside,hope this hopes anyone going through a horrible time xxx

MrsSPC Fri 03-Feb-17 14:34:58

Thank you for sharing your story, it is very reassuring to read it. I have just been through the same but was at home for it but my experience very similar to yours. I was on here looking for reassurance as I was thinking is it over now (epu seem to think so) or is there worse to come as I have heard all those horror stories too! Thank you & hope your doing ok.

Helenq10 Sat 04-Feb-17 11:35:04

Sorry for your loss! I have just come home from hospital after going through similar. On Monday (at 10 weeks) i started bleeding. I had a scan on the tuesday and told our baby was dead. Im diabetic and therefore advised to have medication
To speed things along. I had to stay in hospital for this. First i had the tablets inserted but that didnt work. Then i took them orally which caused some period like cramping but nothing else. I had two furthef attempts with tablets but thursday they decided i needed surgery. I was nil by mouth from midnight thursday but yesterday the hospital was so busy that i didnt get seen until 6pm yesterday. It was horrible. Especially as the gyni ward i was on was next to the maternity ward. So in my lowest moments over the past five days i was forced to watch the comings and goings of new mothers and excited fathers with teddies and "its a boy/girl" balloons. At night all u could here was the sound of new born baby cries. I have just got home this morning to finally start to get over it.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: