Talk

Advanced search

Blighted ovum - the waiting game

(1 Post)
Lynds4y Wed 03-Aug-16 06:49:07

I thought I'd share with you my story and see if any of you have had anything similar, but also to raise awareness of a type of miscarriage that I wasn't even aware of, and that it is always worth mentioning to your doctor, midwife or nurse the slightest thing you think might be unusual.

So yesterday was a pretty sad day. I was sent for an early scan at 11+4, less than a week before my dating scan as I had some bleeding (very slight, and not bright red) and a few pains which as you know are both very common in pregnancy and usually nothing to worry about.

So we arrived at the EPAU, mostly filled with excitement, chatted to a lovely nurse about my symptoms who said herself it's probably nothing to worry about. (Although she did say obviously there could be two outcomes today, good or bad.)

We were then taken in for the scan, and after a few minutes the worst possible outcome was confirmed with one sentence "I'm really sorry, but it's not good news." It was then explained to us that the sac inside me was empty and I had misscarried. My initial thoughts were "What is she talking about 'it's empty' I'm pregnant?" and "I haven't had much bleeding, how could I have had a miscarriage?".

Heartbroken and confused, me and my parter were given some time alone to take in what we had just been told.

After this, everything was explained to us by the lovely nurse from earlier. She told us that the sac was misshapen and that everything had stopped growing at about 7+6, and anything that had grown previous to this had been reabsorbed by the surrounding tissue early on, the reason why the sac was empty (sorry that I can't explain more accurately). She explained that my body is yet to realise this, which is why I'm still waiting to actually MC.

Now there were options, I have opted to waiting for it to happen naturally. But then there's surgery, either awake or under anesthetic, and also a tablet that could help start things along at hospital.

I've been told the pain of it all happening can been between period cramping and contractions, and now its just a waiting game.

Have any of you been in this position? How long did you wait? I'm also not sure what to do about work, they've been really supportive and are not expecting me back anytime. But when is the right time to go back?

Sorry such a long post, and thanks in advance!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now