Is it normal to have bleeding in a pregnancy following miscarriage?

(15 Posts)
kittens1 Sat 23-Jul-16 14:40:24

I had a miscarriage at 12 weeks at the beginning of March. I'm now 7 weeks pregnant and for the past week or so I've had slight bleeding, not a lot, but that's how it started the last time before I actually miscarried. Has anyone had this following a miscarriage and went on to have a healthy pregnancy? It's all I can think of now that the same thing is happening again sad

ChilliMum Sat 23-Jul-16 14:56:49

Yes me. I had already had a couple of miscarriages and then at about 8 weeks i started bleeding and I bled for about 2 weeks so heavy at 1 point with clots (sorry tmi). But ds hung in there and is now 5 and lovely. Midwife said it is a bit like a bruise and as long as it isnt where the placenta is attached it is not dangerous for the baby, apparently it is much more common than people realise.
Either way you should get yourself to your epu, I don't know if it's still possible but 5 years ago you could just call direct to the epu and make an appointment, they don't advertise this as they would be inundated but as I was back and forth a bit with earlier miscarriages they said it's just easier to call direct.
Good luck I hope it all goes well for you too.

Cookbooklook Sat 23-Jul-16 14:58:17

I had this. I had a miscarriage at about 6 weeks so early days. Then I got pregnant about 2 months later and had light spotting. I was convinced it was the beginning of the end so rushed up to a hospital that did early scans. They found a heartbeat but couldn't tell me much else as I was also only about 6/7 weeks at the time.

Anyway all was well. I did continue spotting for a few weeks but it's like it was old blood. She was born healthy and the pregnancy had no complications.

The first time round I did those pregnancy tests that predict the weeks and when I started bleeding the weeks on the test decreased. You could try one of those? The best thing is to try and get an early scan.

29redshoes Sat 23-Jul-16 14:58:36

I don't know if it's normal or not but it happened to me - first pregnancy ended in miscarriage, second I had bleeding and cramping at 7 weeks and all turned out fine

Could you get in touch with EPU for an early scan? Fingers crossed for you flowers

kittens1 Sat 23-Jul-16 15:33:34

Thanks for your replies, it's very reassuring to hear it can happen flowers I have my booking in app on Tuesday so I was going to speak to the midwife then and if the scan date they give me is quite a while off I had considered going for a private scan just to put my mind at ease. I just don't want to get to the twelve week point before I know if it's viable/ok.

Snowflakes1122 Sat 23-Jul-16 18:21:32

Hi,
I'm wondering if you have whets known as a subchorioinic hematoma?
I had one with my son (before I had this miscarriage, so not mc related)

It's a clot in the womb that forms and can cause bleeding.

I bled very heavily for 2 months with him and he is now 20 months. Please don't worry, it seems quite common to bleed in pregnancy for other reasons than miscarriage.

OhtoblazeswithElvira Sat 23-Jul-16 18:31:19

I had this with dC2 - bleeding after my previous pregnancy ended in miscarriage. Off and on, from 8 to 18 weeks (same as my sickness btw), old blood, new blood, spotting, flowing, bright red, clots, anything and everything. They never found a cause. Then one day the bleeding stopped and never came back.

It was the most stressful situation I have ever dealt with. It is so nerve-racking. I hope all goes well for you and that you can get a scan for reassurance.

DC2 is now 2 and glued to the TV btw.

kittens1 Sat 23-Jul-16 22:11:34

Snowflakes I'd never heard of a subchorionic haematoma (thank goodness for Google, I'm now up to speed smile). My sickness has been coming and going too, which did have me worried. As terrible as it is to feel sick all the time at least you know everything's probably okay when you have symptoms. I didn't actually think they would see me at the epu (not that I've been in touch yet) as I thought they'd be of the attitude that if it's going to happen it will happen, and there's nothing they can do so won't see you. I have some hope now that it's not all bad, so thank you ladies smile

smellsofelderberries Mon 25-Jul-16 12:48:20

I started spotting brown at 5 and a half weeks, bleeding properly as just over 6 weeks, lost huge clots with contractions at 6 and a half weeks, then scan at 7+1 showed little one with heartbeat measuring perfectly for dates, and a small subchorionic haematoma. I then bled/spotted until 11 weeks, but have had an easy, normal pregnancy since.

I had a MMC in Jan which basically saw me bleeding from week 6 until I had surgery, so assumed the same thing was happening again, but this little one has decided to stick around. I hope you have a similar happy ending.

NeedaDiscoNap Mon 25-Jul-16 12:49:52

Yes happened to me! I had a mc then bled all through my subsequent pregnancy with my daughter.

It's very stressful because you immediately associate the bleeding with mc, it's very hard xx

Snowflakes1122 Wed 27-Jul-16 23:25:55

How are things now? Hope your doing ok flowers

Snowflakes1122 Wed 27-Jul-16 23:26:09

You're not your!

kittens1 Mon 01-Aug-16 10:44:36

Hi snowflakes, the bleeding seems to have calmed down now. When I went to see the midwife she wasn't too concerned, she said it can be normal enough. Now it just the long wait until the first scan..........3 weeks to go!

Snowflakes1122 Mon 01-Aug-16 14:41:26

So pleased to see the bleeding has calmed down for you! smile

Bleeding can definitely happen in pregnancies. I have three healthy children, and I had bleeding in all three (apart from my missed miscarriage ironically)

Hope times goes quickly for your scan. Try to enjoy your pregnancy and relax flowers

Twodogsandahooch Mon 01-Aug-16 16:33:16

Kittens I had 3 miscarriages between my two daughters. When pregnant with DD2 I had 2 huge bleeds at 6+3 and 10 weeks - likely sub chorionic haematoma. Heavier bleeding than with all my MCs. As you can imagine I expected the worst but DD2 was fine.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now