Talk

Advanced search

Medical management for missed miscarriage-will I be given antibiotics?

(8 Posts)
Snowflakes1122 Fri 08-Jul-16 08:13:03

Lost my baby. Stopped growing at 11 weeks, and I'm booked in for medical management next Friday.

I'm stressing over the wait causing infection, and the possible risk of infection afterwards potentially causing fertility issues.
Do they prescribe antibiotics routinely?

Idontknowwhoiam Fri 08-Jul-16 08:14:35

Sorry for your loss sad
I was given antibiotics after d+c but that was 9 years ago.
If it helps ease your worries I was left for about 3 weeks before the d+c and had no infection etc

Hoppinggreen Fri 08-Jul-16 08:18:30

I was but I was treated privately.
A couple of friends who had the same procedure with the NHS didn't.
Sorry for your loss x

HeteronormativeHaybales Fri 08-Jul-16 08:43:17

Sorry this has happene to you.

I've had four ERPCs and one medical management (variously for missed and incomplete mcs) and was never given antibiotics, nor did I need them - recovery uncomplicated in all cases.

If it gives you heart, I have had 6 mcs in total but also have three children.

Take care.

Snowflakes1122 Fri 08-Jul-16 16:34:25

Thank for replies. I'm dreading going in Friday :-(

lilybunch Fri 08-Jul-16 23:10:35

You maybe don't need them pre-procedure but keep a close eye for symptoms of infection. I didn't get any antibiotics, and I ended up with an infection and emergency ERPC for a tiny piece of retained products 2 weeks later. I am now undergoing tests for possible scarring from the infection.
I was a worst case scenario though, and everyone keeps telling me it was very unlikely to happen, so you will most likely be fine! The medical management itself was ok, not as bad as expected so try not to worry. Just keep an eye on possible signs of infection and get the antibiotics if you have any concerns.
So sorry you're going through this, hope it goes ok next Friday x

TurquoiseDress Sat 09-Jul-16 15:29:14

So sorry to hear you are going through this.

I had a MMC one month ago at 12.5 weeks, found out at the dating scan.

They estimated that the baby stopped developing around 4 weeks previously.

Took the pessaries at home, no antibiotics given but luckily had no signs of infection.

Try not to worry too much.
In my case I was walking around for over a month, unaware, with a pregnancy that had already ended.

Jolo81 Sat 09-Jul-16 18:25:23

Sorry for your loss. I lost mine this week at 11 weeks. I too opted for medical , but my appointment was booked for 2 days later. I passed naturally in the time waiting. No antibiotics, or Pain relief because it wasn't what I'd chosen to happen. What I have learnt is that the human body is incredible thing and it will repair itself in most cases
3 days on and I still have a stomach ache which feels similar indigestion...I'm not sure if that normal??
Heteronormativehaybales - So reassuring to read that.. I'm beating myself up that my first pregnancy is miscarriage.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now