Talk

Advanced search

Conceiving after a mid pregnancy miscarriage

(25 Posts)
Sophiehfz2805 Tue 31-May-16 13:53:32

Hi, i was wondering about when would be the best time to try for a baby after a mid pregnancy miscarriage (5months). And if anyone has became pregnant straight afterwards?i was 5months pregnant and On 24th may 2016 i came into hospital as i was leaking a little drops of fluid and was abit scared and worried and they checked me over and said i was fine. It then happened alot more over night so the next morning i went back into hospital and they done a speculum twice and found out that my cervix was fully opened and my waters had gone abit too. They said i'd have to stay in hospital over the weekend so i did, i had my blood pressure and everything checked regularly and i had my bloods taken every 24 hours as they said my urine sample came back as that i had an infection some how.. On the 26th May i had strong contractions and they decided to scan me to check if baby was alright and he was fine and heartbeat was fine. Then on the 27th May i woke up with bleeding and no contractions at all, they scanned baby and found that the waters had fully gone and baby had died.. They then gave me a tablet to stop the pregnancy hormone and so that it could bring on labour so that i don't become infected and fall ill. Nothing happened over 23 hours until the last hour came before i had to take vaginal tablets. I then started getting strong pains and feeling sick, i then had to push quite a bit and then my beautiful baby boy came out. 28th May 2016 my angel was born. I feel truly upset and hurt that this has happened i tried my hardest and made sure i ate all the right foods and done all the right things. Now this has happened i feel brokensad i wanted a baby so bad and i feel worried this may happen again. Can anyone re assure me that things can go well after a mid pregnancy miscarriage? It was the hardest thing giving birth knowing he won't be with me everyday. Do you think i should try straight away or wait until i find out the reasons for why it may have happened? Thank you.

Growingbeanno2 Tue 31-May-16 20:00:36

Oh gosh, I am so sorry. No advice but bumping so hopefully others can
flowers

gingerbreadmanm Tue 31-May-16 20:10:16

So sorry sophie. This is all very new. How are you coping?

Have the hospital given any indication as to why they think it happened?

I lost my son at 27 weeks last year. I havent ttc again yet. I wanted to give myself time to come to terms with it. That was the right thing for me.

I know lots of people get straight back to it so as not to let it put them off. I think it's whatever suits tbh.

In the meantime have you got lots of support at home. I appreciate this is a difficult, heartbreaking time.

AnUtterIdiot Tue 31-May-16 21:14:30

flowers I am so sorry.

MrsGlam Wed 01-Jun-16 07:37:20

Really sorry to hear about your little boy flowers.

I have had two late miscarriages one at 19+1weeks one at 20+6.
Only you can decide when you are reqdy to TTC again, After my first miscarriage i was desperate to try again and we started trying again straight away but it took 4 months.
My second miscarriage i took a break of 11 months before i felt ready to tey again.

Just to give you some hope ai have had a sucessful pregnancy and now have a little boy who is 7 weeks old! So it can happen after a loss.

Take as long as you need before TTC again..I wont say when you get pregnant again that its easy..I struggled until ai hit 24 weeks and had really good movements.

Sophiehfz2805 Wed 01-Jun-16 11:08:29

Thank you everyone for having the time to reply back to me, just wanted answers to ease my mind. I really want to try straight away once i've stopped bleeding and all. But husband keeps saying to wait until i find out if it was because of a weak cervix or what the cause of it happening was .. After your miscarriages (mrsglam) did you have a sucessful pregnancy or miscarriage again? Im sorry about hearing that sad

Loungingbutnotforlong Wed 01-Jun-16 11:27:53

Sophie- so sorry to hear that this happened to you. It is truly hideous. I lost our son at 5 months and was in such awful pain (emotional, not physical) for a long time. Like you I was desperate to try again quickly. The investigations did not take long - incompetent cervix- but it is good to know (if there is an answer) as I needed a stitch at 12 weeks with subsequent pregnancies. I now have two children at home with me. You are in the eye of the storm just now, and it is very grim. Sending you love and peace. Be kind to yourself X

Loungingbutnotforlong Wed 01-Jun-16 11:29:43

Sorry- meant to say it also took us a while to get pregnant again (a year) and the pregnancies were very difficult- but you just keep your head down and look after yourself as best you can.

MrsGlam Wed 01-Jun-16 15:26:59

They will only be able to tell you about your cervix once you are pregnant. But they will give you scans to measure the length.
I had two miscarriages in a row and then a healthy pregnancy.
I had excellent care in all 3 of my pregnancies.
After my first miscarriage they checked my cervix in my next pregnancy but it wasn’t that for me.
In my sucessful pregnancy I had cervix checks, Weekly swabs and urine tests (My consultatlnt thought it might be an infection.) And i was prescribed Progesterone pessaries and I believe those are what got me my DS.. When you go to yur consultant appointment ask for what the plan of action will be it puts your mind at rest if you know whats going to happen..I would mention progesterone my consultant was happu to give me it but some wont as there is no scientific proof that it works but there are real case studies of sucesaful pregnancies.

gingerbreadmanm Wed 01-Jun-16 15:36:26

Hi mrs hope you dont mind me asking, at what point were you prescribed progesterone? I'm thinking of asking for it in my next pregnancy.

Sophiehfz2805 Wed 01-Jun-16 16:47:11

Thanks for the message mrsglam. Yeah well when i was in hospital for the 4/5 days they had to keep taking my bloods every 24 hrs and my blood showed that i had an infection so i think thats the reason for it all had happened, but my cervix was fully opened too i just worry about the same thing happening next time and will they keep an eye on me properly next time such as urine tests, scans etc to check for anything possibly going wrong. Also what are the progesterone tablets? Do they just help the pregnancy stay strong kinda thing?

MrsGlam Wed 01-Jun-16 16:54:53

Gingerbread - I was prescribed them from 16 weeks onwards i stopped them at 34 weeks but I think they would of let me stop sooner but I think I was just paranoid to stop them. I was on 2 x 400mgs a day

Sophie - Sounds like an infection then!
I had weekly vaginal swabs from positive pregnancy test up until 24 weeks and weekly urine samples. I did both at home and then dropped them into my surgery and called for the results a few days later. I never had an infection though.
Progesterone are pessaries which can be inserted vaginally or Anally and its just a hormone that supports your pregnancy. You make it naturally but you can have low progesterone levels.
Hope that helps smile

gingerbreadmanm Wed 01-Jun-16 23:16:36

Thanks mrsglam worth an ask then.

It does sound like an infection sophie hopefully they will give you more information soon. Are you having a funeral for your baby and did you name them?

MrsGlam Thu 02-Jun-16 09:41:47

Gingerbread..
Definitely worth a try!

Sophiehfz2805 Thu 02-Jun-16 21:05:23

Mrsglam- Yes i think in my next pregnancy when i do start to try for a baby, i will ask if i can have those done, having vaginal swabs and urine sample etc they would help me and re-assure me that everything is going well, which i would need as i'd be worrying alot more.

Gingerbreadmanm- hopefully, i guess i'd want to know before trying for a baby but i really don't want to wait, i feel like being pregnant will make me happy again. And yes i had a funeral and done a burial for my son flowers

EllaElla Thu 02-Jun-16 21:35:46

I'm so sorry to hear this, bless your heart. The very worst. There is a charity that supports families going through this - saying goodbye- if you haven't found them already on FB o similar, suggest you look them up, so helpful! Xx flowers

Out2pasture Thu 02-Jun-16 21:47:49

flowers
Speak to your physician. I suspect they would recommend a few months (4-6) before trying for another.

MrsGlam Thu 02-Jun-16 22:35:10

I think its only natural to want those things done esp with it being probably an infection that was likely.
I found it reasuring to do.

Out2lasture.. Why would they tell you to wait 4 - 6 months?

Out2pasture Fri 03-Jun-16 06:20:03

being the op lost the baby in her second trimester physicians recommend waiting 3-4 cycles. her first cycle will likely be late.
the following is from medical site specific to second trimester miscarriages.

www.ucdmc.ucdavis.edu/obgyn/services/FP/trimester_loss.html

MrsGlam Fri 03-Jun-16 13:48:47

That's an american website..It's also only a recommendation as it says on the website. My consultant said to try when you are ready..Most reccomend one cycle so they can date the pregnancy.

You have ladies turnig up to there 6 week post natual check pregnant. So it can't be that detrimental to their health.

Sophiehfz2805 Fri 03-Jun-16 14:27:03

Mrsglam- where abouts are you from? Im from england, yeah i heard the same as you, that most doctors reccomend just one cycle. All depends really and i just hope to get pregnant as soon as. I miss being pregnant .. But i dont know whether it will take long or not just have to see

MrsGlam Fri 03-Jun-16 14:57:53

I am in North Dorset where are you?

user1462729325 Fri 03-Jun-16 16:46:06

So sorry to hear your news. I lost a baby at 5 months in the December and conceived again late March. X

Sophiehfz2805 Sat 04-Jun-16 17:50:06

Mrsglam- west yorkshire!

MrsGlam Sun 05-Jun-16 04:05:05

Sophie - Oh lovely!

How are you doing?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now