Talk

Advanced search

miscarrying a blighted ovum

(4 Posts)
kosh71 Sat 23-Apr-16 14:33:26

Had 3 scans at 5, 6 and 7 weeks, and during the last one I was finally diagnosed with a blighted ovum. The following day (Wednesday) I started spotting. The bleeding got slightly heavier and I had some mild period like pain during the week. I woke up this morning and my pad was full, went to the toilet and passed a large-ish (2cm) and heavy tissue. Since then I haven't had more pain and the bleeding almost stopped.
Is it possible that was all?

ChewyGiraffe Sun 24-Apr-16 08:16:31

I'm really sorry for your loss flowers.

Unfortunately I've lost two pregnancies myself, but because they were further along than yours was, it probably wouldn't be helpful to you to try to compare my experience - I just didn't want to read and run. I hope someone else comes along who has been through a more similar thing?

What you describe might well be all there is, particularly if you now have very little further bleeding, no pain and (sorry for TMI) no unpleasant/smelly discharge which might indicate that something had been retained. In the past I've been told to do a pregnancy test after 2 weeks (I know, that long) to make sure it's negative.

Did you have your scans at your hospital Early Pregnancy Assessment Unit? You could always give them a ring if you are concerned. The one at my local hospital operates like an A&E unit and is open 24/7.

If you haven't already come across the Miscarriage Association website, perhaps this 'what to expect' type leaflet might be helpful?
- miscarriageassociation.org.uk - natural management of miscarriage

Take care x

kosh71 Sun 24-Apr-16 23:20:22

many thanks Giraffe, and sorry for your losses flowers
Yes, I was given open access to the EPAU at my hospital. I haven't called because I have a scan scheduled for Tuesday and I am not really concerned, just a bit confused. The bleeding almost stopped now and no, there is no smell or discharge.
I am very surprised the pain was so minimal.

GiddyOnZackHunt Sun 24-Apr-16 23:26:00

flowers Yes it is possible that was it. I have had a few mcs and one was manageable with cocodamol but another one was overnight and I slept through the worst of it. Obviously had bleeding before and after but nothing too awful.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now