Talk

Advanced search

Missed Miscarriage

(8 Posts)
michy27 Thu 14-Apr-16 11:27:22

Hi, I'm new to all this, but just looking for some support and advice.

I found out I was a few weeks pregnant at the beginning of February. Went for a scan at 8 weeks during the first week of March, which went really well and saw the baby's heartbeat.
Carried on with increasing morning sickness and tiredness. Attended my 12 week scan on the 6th of April was told that our baby died at 11 weeks. I had no bleeding or pain or any indication that the pregnancy had stopped developing. I then went into hospital on Sunday 10th April to start off Medical Management of Miscarriage (took the first tablet) and then went back on Tuesday (12th). Had the pessaries inserted and had no pain or bleeding again. I then had oral tablets every three hours with no result as my cervix was still closed. Ended up having to stay overnight in hospital as my temperature and blood pressure were all over the place and to monitor me.
I had very slight bleeding at 2am Wednesday (yesterday) and within 10 minutes I passed the baby and a very small amount of blood. Again, no pain at all.
I was examined by the doctor at 8 yesterday morning and then sent for an ultrasound and was told the placenta and pregnancy products were still there. Still had no bleeding or pain. By 3pm my cervix had closed back again. I was discharged at 6pm yesterday.
I have to go back for a scan next Wednesday to see if anything is still there. And potentially have to go through the surgical management.
Has anyone else had this happen to them?
I really want the pain and bleeding because I want this all to be over.
Last week me and my other half were so looking forward for out baby's arrival in October and now we have nothing.
I just don't know what to do to cope.

Fedupoftheheat Thu 14-Apr-16 11:41:47

Poor you, I'm so sorry for your loss. I've had 4 MMC, and seen a healthy heartbeat with all of them, only to get to the 12 week scan to be told there was no longer a Hb. My first MMC was medically managed and didn't work at all. I didn't pass any products at all, no clots just bled like a normal period. I bled for 9 weeks in the end, lighter and lighter until it stopped.
I also wanted to have it all over with but they wouldn't do any surgery as what was left was so small they wouldn't risk it.
You may find you have some continuous bleeding for a while or you may stop bleeding , and your body will expel everything at the next period. Try not to worry too much, as long as you don't have a lot of pain or smelly discharge, everything will be fine.
As a note of hope, I've now got 2 boys so I got there in the end and so will you.

Mishaps Thu 14-Apr-16 11:42:08

I am so sorry to hear what has happened to you. The same happened to my DD at 16 weeks - the pregnancy hormones were still making her feel pregnant, but the foetus was no longer alive. It was a blow to us all and we were sad for her.

But.....here is the good news - she now has two lovely boys.

No-one seems to know exactly what makes this horrid thing happen, but it did not happen again and all went smoothly for two pregnancies.

She opted to "deliver" the conception products rather than have a D&C.

You will cope I am sure - my DD did and has emerged stronger from the experience. Sadly she did lose another pregnancy through an ovarian cyst that appeared and ended the pregnancy - but this was just another stroke of bad luck and totally unconnected to the missed abortion. She coped with both these setbacks.

I know that this is tough; but there is no reason why it should happen again. I send you all good wishes and hope you will be able to put this bad experience behind you and move on to happier things in the future. flowers

michy27 Thu 14-Apr-16 12:22:05

Thanks for your replies.
I think I'm just all over the place because it's all so recent.

LottieL Thu 14-Apr-16 14:16:29

I'm sorry for your loss flowers I have also suffered a MC this week, it's horrific.

Its totally ok to be all over the place. Give yourself time (and permission!) to feel all that you need to feel. It's important that you do so that eventually you can find your new normal. My thoughts are with you, I truly do understand how awful you feel.

Shrimpymummy Fri 15-Apr-16 19:34:44

Hi, am so sorry to hear of your loss. I had a suspected MMC from a scan on 31 March, but had to wait 2 weeks for a follow up scan yesterday to confirm it. Have no experience of the medical management side of things, but just wanted to reassure you if you do have to have the surgical management in the end. I had it this afternoon and it was very straightforward - I am back home and physically feel okay 4 hours after the surgery (although will be taking it very easy for a while and I know the emotional side of things will be much harder than the physical). The worst part was the waiting to go in - I had a long delay and it just gave me more time to think about things and get upset at having to go through all this, but definitely feel better now it's over and can start to get some closure. Huge hugs to you, it is just a dreadful thing for anyone to have to go through, thinking of you. Xxx

swancourt Sun 17-Apr-16 21:20:17

I am so sorry to hear of your loss.

I had some bleeding when I was 8 weeks pregnant (on 3rd March). Went for a private scan the next day and it confirmed a mmc. Went to an NHS scan the following Monday and they confirmed the same. They wouldn't let me have any medical or surgical management until I had had a follow-up scan 9 days later, which showed that by that stage I had passed most of it naturally (I had been bleeding - not really heavily, but still bleeding) for almost two weeks - only one large clot in all that time. I opted for medical management (couldn't have surgical management as there wasn't much left). I had it almost a week later, and then bled a lot for a couple of days and had another couple of clots, followed by light bleeding for another few days. All in all it took almost a month.

I know lots of people who have been in your position in which the medical management hasn't worked, and they have ended up with a D&C. In all cases they wish they had had the D&C straight up - it's very straightforward, painless, and gets it over and done with. In the end, I found it more painful living in the limbo of bleeding but not knowing what was going on, and I just wanted it over. So if you have to go down that route, it may quicken things up for you and give you the chance to get on with grieving/living your life/whatever you need to do to get through this.

Hugs x

michy27 Sun 17-Apr-16 21:39:00

It's been nearly 3 weeks since baby died, and nearly a week since medical management and although I passed the baby (no blood) in hospital, I'm having severe cramps at the moment and barely any bleeding. It's so frustrating!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now