PCOS miscarriage and progesterone

(3 Posts)
FrazzleRock Tue 08-Mar-16 21:17:32

Me again...

I've just stumbled upon the fact that women with PCOS should be offered progesterone during early pregnancy to help prevent MC. I hadn't heard of this until now, is this something I have to ask for? I had a MMC 2.5 weeks ago and am feeling quite cross that not one professional suggested this to me, despite PCOS being all over my medical records. Is it widely known amongst medical professionals? Or a fairly new unknown/untested concept?

Should my GP have prescribed it? She also told me to stop taking metformin and I've read recently that it helps to keep taking it during early pregnancy.

SuperUnicorn Wed 09-Mar-16 15:17:07

Sorry to hear about your mmc. I hadn't heard that and noone has mentioned it to me either, also with pcos written all over my records.

I've had two mcs, my GP has agreed to test my progesterone level if I have another pregnancy and see if I need additional progesterone.

AvaMercy Tue 31-May-16 14:24:30

Hi FrazzkeRock,

Just wondering whether you had ever gotten any answers regarding this? I have pcos and have just had my second miscarriage, but progesterone was only offered to me early on in my second pregnancy, but only as part of a clinical trial, meaning there would have been a 50% that if have been given a placebo rather than progesterone. It was offered by my local epu clinic that were doing a study on first trimester bleeding. At the time I didn't really understand any of it so I declined as I was so worried about doing anything that might "spook" the pregnancy. But in hindsight, now i think I should have given it a go just in case.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now