Talk

Advanced search

Chemical pregnancy

(5 Posts)
harrietm87 Tue 08-Mar-16 20:28:56

Hi all
I'm going through a very early miscarriage/chemical pregnancy. I had a positive test on Friday, then bad cramps and spotting on Sunday night followed by heavy bleeding and more cramps yesterday and today. I took a test this morning and it was negative.

I'm upset but resigned to focusing on the positives that I can get pregnant. I just wondered from those who have experienced this, do I need to see my GP? And how long before my cycles will go back to normal?

Lucinda15 Wed 09-Mar-16 07:07:00

Hello harriet I'm sorry that this has happened to you.

I have had 3 mc's, one of which was very early/chemical at 4.5 weeks. Similar story, had a positive test (actually 4 over 4 days running up to period due date) then started bleeding when I was officially 4 days late. I had eagerly already sent off my midwife referral so had to cancel this and was advised to call EPU for advice. They advised it was an early miscarriage and gave me a bit of advice I.e. Do a repeat test in 2 weeks and call them back if positive, but you have had your negative so that should be fine.

I asked if I needed to tell my GP and they said if I wanted to, but not essential. I didn't advise them immediately but a few months later I advised them when seeking treatment for something else. When I fell pregnant for a 3rd time I was offered an early reassurance scan because of the previous mc's. Sadly, I've now had my 3rd mc in a row and I am grateful that I advised GP of the early mc as I am now entitled to investigations. I hope this will be your only experience of mc, but I have found it useful to have acknowledged the early mc and recorded it with GP as it has definitely helped with further pregnancies.

Wishing you all the best. Take good care of yourself and allow yourself to acknowledge this and be upset. Sending a hug x

Lucinda15 Wed 09-Mar-16 07:07:37

Ooh - and my cycle returned to normal fairly quickly. I was one week late but next period was fine. Good luck x

Squashybanana Wed 09-Mar-16 07:16:18

Hi there. I would agree with informing GP only in case you should go on to have more investigations, which you are entitled to after 3 MC in a row. Of course this is unlikely and your chemical is likely 'just one of those things'. I had 2 chemicals and got pregnant with a viable pregnancy the immediately following month both times. I have heard that because you get raised progesterone you can be more fertile immediately following a chemical though of course I don't know if that is scientifically proven, but it worked for me! So if you feel up to trying again immediately go ahead. Medics may suggest you wait a month but this is only for dating of pregnancy, there is no additional risk to trying straight away. So sorry this has happened .

harrietm87 Wed 09-Mar-16 16:18:23

Hi lucinda and squashy
Thanks so much for your replies. I think in that case I will mention it to my GP so that it is on my record. I hope very much that this is just a one off.

Sorry to both of you for your losses too x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now