Supporting my friend through a miscarriage - help please .

(3 Posts)
DreamCloud99 Tue 01-Mar-16 17:46:08

My lovely best friend has miscarried today at 6 weeks .

I was wondering if it would be OK to get her something as a 'remembrance' (sorry if that's the wrong wording).

I was thinking of a candle with an inscription of some sort - obviously no name / gender or dates.

Would this be ok or too intrusive ?

TheAussieProject Tue 01-Mar-16 19:24:25

Not sure. Wait for other posters. I lost two babies. One at 6 months and another one at 4 months. I wouldn't have liked anything right at that time.

I appreciated the good words (I am so sorry for you, I feel your pain) and hated the bad ones (you have an angel now, you will have another one, it is better like this, God had his reasons, .... or in the case of your friend, it was early, it wasn't really a baby yet, ...) . But next year, if on the anniversary you give her something, she will appreciate it. A lot.

Frecklesfrecklesfreckles4 Wed 02-Mar-16 01:29:23

The Miscarriage Association website has a downloadable guide for friends/family of someone who has suffered a miscarriage which is useful in terms of what to say/do.
As The AussieProject says, remembering the anniversary, or especially the due date makes a massive difference. After a period of time a lot of people expect you to move on and stop grieving so to know someone still remembers and cares is lovely.
You sound like a great friend!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now