Talk

Advanced search

should I go for IVF? - 3 MC, 1DD and I'm 41

(5 Posts)
RaisinGirls Tue 23-Feb-16 19:56:17

Anyone got any advice or experience for me?

I am 41 and feel like time is running out. I lost my first baby at 12 weeks as a MMC and then had a non IVF healthy baby (almost two). Since the summer I have had 2 MC - (August and January) both around the 6-7 week mark. Both pregnancies where natural.

I am panicking as I feel my time is running out so have been to see an IVF consultant.

My IVF consultant says the most likely reason for the MC is my age, especially as I have had a full term pregnancy with no complications. He is recommending a natural / mild course and that any eggs collected are sent to a lab to be checked for chromosomal problems. He has been honest that a) they might not get any eggs back and b) even a'healthy' egg has only a 35% chance of a live birth. This is compared to 2% if I get pregnant naturally.

I am really confused as what to do. Getting pregnant twice in the last 6 months suggests I don't have a problem getting pregnant (despite originally trying for 3 years and nothing!) so is IVF the answer or could there be another cause for the MC besides my age which needs to be checked first?

I can't even begin to get my head around the thought of getting pregnant again and losing the baby.

Apologies if this is a bit rambling but I just don't know what to do for the best to reduce my chances of miscarrying avian.

Marmaduke10 Fri 04-Mar-16 22:21:35

Hi RaisinGirls,
I am 43. I had an early miscarriage aged 36 followed immediately by natural pregnancy and now mum to 6 yr old. I have toyed with idea of having another for many years then suddenly hit me I was on wrong side of 40! We went for private IVF consultation and told that although fit and healthy my eggs were same age of me. We underwent 2 courses of IVF back to back. I was so sure 2nd attempt had worked but sadly not. That was last week. The consultant has advised best course going forward is to have egg donar as they say success is dependant on age of egg, and not age of womb. Makes me feel really old (even though inside still 21). I am in waiting list for egg (told 9 months approximately & egg donar chosen to match your eye/hair colour and height etc) but not 100% sure if this is right for me, however seems only option available if I want to be a mum again. Hope this helps x

RaisinGirls Thu 10-Mar-16 19:47:33

Thanks for replying. I'm sorry you've also had a rough time, and hope it works out for you in the end.

We've decided to give IVF a go, if only because it will help see what the quality of my eggs are like so I know whether to keep on trying or to accept my lot. Such a hard place to be, and so worried about what will be.

marmiteontoast76 Fri 11-Mar-16 08:41:24

No advice to give but am watching this thread with interest. I'm near to turning 40 and have had two late miscarriages in the past year. Just awaiting final results but if none found then we will consider speaking to consultant about ivf options. Have looked at the price list though and it's £4000 per round. We could prob just about afford one round but not two or three.

Zaicool Sat 12-Mar-16 19:03:37

I had my IVF 2013 November and I lost then I went for it 2 time 2014 And it worked now I have a son who is 14 months then a big shock came again last year and I became pregnant I just had a baby boy again he 2 weeks. I'm 43 years pls try if you have faith otherwise tick tock and now I was planning to go for the remaining eggs but I cannot since this pregnancy it has been tough plan centra rapture. But for you try girl go for its .

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now