Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant at almost 44 after miscarriage last year

(11 Posts)
DorothyParker72 Mon 22-Feb-16 15:46:14

Hi all, I'm new to this thread and have found so many of your posts really helpful so wanted to post too. I suppose I'm looking for positives really....

I have no children and haven't been pregnant before, got together with my partner at 41 and became pregnant last year. We hadn't been that careful but were still quite surprised given my age.
Unfortunately I miscarried in July 2015 after about 7 weeks. It was only 2/3 days after finding out I was pregnant so a real roller-coaster of upsetting emotions for us both.
I recently discovered I am pregnant again and currently 8 weeks. Have asked for an early scan but not holding out much hope.
I am 44 in April and can't help thinking this pregnancy is likely to go the same way as the last one, given my age. I am clinging on to the fact I feel tired and nauseous (which didn't happen last time) but four weeks seems an eternity to wait for my first scan.
Has anyone else had similar experiences at this age and still managed a healthy pregnancy/birth?

Twitterqueen Mon 22-Feb-16 15:49:04

No experience but wishing you lots of luck flowers. Didn't Patricia Hodge have 2 babies in her early 40s?

jimijack Mon 22-Feb-16 15:57:09

Hi, congratulations!!
I had my now 3 year old at 43 after 7 miscarriages and long periods of infertility.(2/3 year gaps between pregnancies actively trying for a baby)

I opted for an amnio as it was important to me having been told that my miscarriages were likely because of poor quality eggs due to my age.

All was well and I am now absolutely knackered, constantly shattered as my little fella does not sleep....EVER but I am chuffed to bits with him, he is an amazing miracle
Me and dh just stare at him and can't believe he is here and he is ours.
Still gobsmacked 3 years on...

DorothyParker72 Mon 22-Feb-16 16:02:03

Wow! That's so lovely jimijack. I can't imagine how emotionally draining things were for you before your son came along. Thank you for your reply.

Thanks Twitterqueen, I believe you're right, I do have a growing list of older mum's forming from my friends and family! smile

Havalina1 Mon 22-Feb-16 16:05:57

Hello, congratulations! I had a baby last September three days after turning 41.

Anyway you've probably already thought about it but why don't you go for a private early scan? They can scan from 7 weeks on. If you book it for in a weeks time, you're bridging the gap til the nhs 12 week scan?

That's how I killed the time waiting smile

Congrats again! X

DorothyParker72 Mon 22-Feb-16 16:11:29

Thanks Havalina1, that's great advice, I will have a look into an early scan. Congratulations on your new arrival! smile

CrumblyMumbly Mon 22-Feb-16 16:16:31

Hi, had my gorgeous girl at 46 after 2 miscarriages. I had consultant-lead care due to my age so had an earlier scan. Have a chat to your midwife. I know you're worried but this is a new pregnancy and there are lots of us oldies about! Congratulations.

DorothyParker72 Mon 22-Feb-16 16:27:24

Thanks CrumblyMumbly, I saw the midwife for the first time last week with my partner. She also suggested consultant-lead care so we'll see what comes of that. Thank you for replying, your positive outcome is good to hear!

CrumblyMumbly Mon 22-Feb-16 18:20:15

No problem - I know positive stories helped me when I was in your situation. Looking back I would tell myself to enjoy this pregnancy and don't worry so much but I know it's easier said than done. Chase up the midwife/scan and don't be fobbed off. For the nausea I found it was much worse if I was hungry but I couldn't face food. I found a little bit of organic milk was my saviour as it took edge off sickness so I could eat something. Good luck.

absolutelynotfabulous Mon 22-Feb-16 18:28:32

I had a miscarriage at 40 followed by another pregnancy rather unexpectedly at 41. I didn't realise I was pregnant, and I wasn't even trying!

I was nauseous and hungry too; and when I started a job I could barely get through the day with tiredness.

Anyway, said pregnancy produced a healthy but very premature baby who's now 14.

I had a placental abruption so dd is an only. There's loads of us oldies about now, it seems, so good luck and fingers crossedflowers.

DorothyParker72 Tue 23-Feb-16 13:56:30

Thank you all, your advice and support is much appreciated. x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now