New pregnancy or leftover hormones?

(22 Posts)
Starstarcrazy Thu 18-Feb-16 17:58:21

I was hoping someone might be able to give me some advice. I sadly miscarried my first pregnancy at 8 weeks on 8th Jan I then continued bleeding for a month until the 28th. Possibly stupidly I didn't want to wait any longer before trying again so we weren't careful, then this morning I had a bfp on my test. I'm really really hoping this is a new pregnancy but because I never had a period could this be leftover hormones from the miscarriage or would that all have gone by now? Any thoughts very much appreciated.

AmyB1986 Fri 19-Feb-16 13:01:57

Hi- I miscarried around the 21st of last month. I didn't know how far along I was but it all came away naturally and I was having my blood hcg monitored. On the 9th Feb it was still at 19 and had a super faint positive on a hpt on the 7th but was neg the two days after with the small amount of hcg in my blood. I spotted until the 6th Feb and had nothing since. Bled in total for 11 days and spotted for 16 in total start to finish.

I think depending on your initial blood hcg it should halve every 48hours ideally. Mine took a long time to go away though.

Was the HPT faint or dark?
I've attached a pic of my HPT two days before my blood reading of 19.

It could be new pregnancy but to make sure I'd test again in a week.

Starstarcrazy Fri 19-Feb-16 16:21:41

I'm so sorry to hear that, it's awful isn't it so lonely and disappointing. Thank you so much for responding.

I feel like an idiot for not checking it went down to zero before I started trying again but it felt too depressing doing the tests! I've attached a pic of the positive test I did it was a superdrug first response one. The photo was taken after 3 mins.

I guess now it's just a waiting game to see if it gets darker or lighter or if I have a period. I'm getting mild stomach cramps but not sure if I'm just being overly hopeful.
Thanks again, I hope it all works out.

AmyB1986 Fri 19-Feb-16 16:36:21

That looks like a pretty dark positive to me. The tests I used for super sensitive IC tests. I would imagine if it was residual hcg it would be much fainter than that.

It is an awful place, in limbo waiting for af or other.

Fingers crossed for you, I really have my fingers crossed this is a new pregnancy xx

Starstarcrazy Fri 19-Feb-16 16:54:55

Thanks for your good wishes, it helps just getting another opinion. Will let you know. Good luck to you too. xx

FuzzyOwl Fri 19-Feb-16 17:04:16

Sorry to hear of your losses flowers

After my miscarriage I did test every day and found it took five weeks to get negative ICs, although a FRER is more sensitive so would probably have been positive for longer. Once I got the negative test, it took ten days to get a positive opk and it would have taken me a further ten to fourteen days for a BFP if I had got pregnant that cycle.

hopinghopefullyagain Fri 19-Feb-16 17:08:14

Would a digital test that tells you how many weeks you are be any help?

jimijack Fri 19-Feb-16 17:16:05

Well, having been in the same position I would love to tell you that it's left over hormones BUT having been in your position and now having a 3 year old ripping my house to shreds, did a huge shit on my new bedroom carpet then licked my bedroom mirror, I can't. Sorry.

Now, where's that vanish carpet cleaner.............

Starstarcrazy Fri 19-Feb-16 20:11:55

Ha thanks everyone for your thoughts and good wishes it genuinely helps me feel less on my own and stops me going crazy with "what ifs". I think all I can do is wait a day or two to re-do a hpt and see if it's got any darker and if I still can't tell I'll have to go to the doctor and admit I was an idiot and didn't follow their advice to wait for a cycle! Sending good wishes to everyone and hope you get the result you want very soon x

ScottishInSwitzerland Sat 20-Feb-16 12:23:41

Hi. I am really sorry for your loss.
I think you're right that all you can do is wait and re test in a few days. Or even longer if you can make yourself wait.

I was in a similar position last month. I had a positive test about 4 weeks after my miscarriage (I should have been 10 weeks when I lost my 'baby' but it was very sadly an empty sac).

I managed to wait only a few days before testing again but that test was negative. At about 4.5 weeks after the loss.

I had pregnancy symptoms around that time, until I had my period. And now I am due my next period in ten days and am feeling pregnant again but I have read it's common to have symptoms in the lead up to your first few periods after a loss.

obsessed1 Sat 20-Feb-16 19:44:30

I was in the exact same position as you earlier this year. It really did my head in, so I understand the confusion and frustration you're going through. For me it turned out I wasn't pregnant, and when my period started it was like having a mc all over again as I had been so convinced I was pg.
The good news is, 2 months later I fell pg again, turned out they were identical twins. Although each month felt like a lifetime in between, really with hindsight it wasn't all that long... Lost that pregnancy at 19 weeks 😥 But my point is that even if it turns out that you're not pregnant this month, you never know what's around the corner. I'm trying to hold on to this as we're hoping to get back to ttc asap. Good luck to you, let us know what happens xxxxxxx

Starstarcrazy Sun 21-Feb-16 18:13:59

I'm so sorry you've been through it too, thanks for your help

Just to update you all I'm feeling quietly confident. I did another test this morning and the line looks much stronger so I think a miracle may have happened, I just hope I'm right. Now I just need to stop worrying about losing it again! I've attached the picture I took today (it was as long as I could wait!).

I wish everyone such good luck in the future, I think we all deserve to be front of the queue when good luck is handed out this time.

xx

AmyB1986 Sun 21-Feb-16 18:24:46

Star congratulations grin wishing you an uneventful pregnancy! Xx

obsessed1 Sun 21-Feb-16 21:27:48

Wow that looks really positive! Congratulations!!xxxx

ScottishInSwitzerland Mon 22-Feb-16 10:35:43

Looks like it! Congratulations. I hope your pregnancy goes smoothly. X

charlotte1990 Mon 22-Feb-16 13:23:18

Congratulations I hope I am in your boat in a few weeks smile misscarried in January and ovulation was over this weekend now to wait... been having some funny period pains down there though so will see xx

Crumbles12 Mon 22-Feb-16 13:29:22

Sorry for your loss sad

I'm currently pregnant following a miscarriage, they are actually using my miscarriage date as my 'LMP' so we likely conceived 2 weeks after the beginning of the mc and less than a week after the bleeding stopped. When I got my BFP I was nervous to consider myself pregnant so went straight to my GP, he said it was unlikely to still be left over hormones but referred me for an ultrasound ASAP to confirm and there was a little wriggler in there smile. Judging by the darkness of the line I expect it is the same for you, but your GP may refer you for a scan to confirm/reassure. Good luck flowers

Starstarcrazy Wed 24-Feb-16 21:15:19

Congratulations Crumbles good luck with the pregnancy I will keep my fingers crossed for you. Charlotte I hope you're lucky this time and I'm so sorry to hear about your loss.

I did a digital today and got pregnant 2-3 weeks so I'm pretty certain but have booked in to see the doctor to confirm. Now I just freak out every time I get a twinge that something is wrong- it's driving my other half mad!

xx

komm25 Wed 24-Feb-16 22:47:36

Hoping you are pregnant Starstarcrazy, i had a positive test yesterday 5 weeks after d&c following blighted ovum, had HCG levels took yesterday and was 256, due back tomorrow, ive attached a pic of my test.
good luck chick xx flowers

komm25 Wed 24-Feb-16 22:51:17

sorry thats my test xx

Starstarcrazy Thu 25-Feb-16 10:17:37

Thanks komm25 that looks very positive to me, good luck!

Starstarcrazy Fri 26-Feb-16 21:43:40

Good luck, I will keep my fingers crossed xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now