Talk

Advanced search

Did the worry cause the miscarriage?

(10 Posts)
AKP79 Thu 18-Feb-16 12:10:57

I was just trying to search for an old post I'd made to check some information someone gave me and found this one, which I'd completely forgotten about. I was so worried about miscarriage, which didn't cross my mind with my first. Might sound stupid, but I'm now worried all that anxiety had a negative impact on the baby or did I have some kind of sixth sense things weren't right...?

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/pregnancy/2524163-Unsubstantiated-worry

exexpat Thu 18-Feb-16 12:15:45

About a fifth of pregnancies end in miscarriage, and anxiety is not one of the causes of miscarriage. You were just unlucky. Sorry for your loss, and please reassure yourself that you could not have done anything to prevent it.

exexpat Thu 18-Feb-16 12:21:06

(scroll down to the bottom of that link to find this bit: "Misconceptions about miscarriage: An increased risk of miscarriage is not linked to:
a mother's emotional state during pregnancy, such as being stressed or depressed")

KittyandTeal Thu 18-Feb-16 12:24:05

The anxiety will have had no bearing on your mc.

However, I'm now a big believer in sometimes just knowing something is wrong. Right from the start with dd2 I was anxious and I knew something was wrong, I just didn't know what.

I'm now pregnant again and don't have the same feeling. I know that doesn't mean that nothing's wrong but before I just knew (and I'm the least woo person you're ever likely to meet)

FourForYouGlenCoco Thu 18-Feb-16 21:17:53

I'm with kitty. Also not woo in the slightest, but I've had 3 MC (13w, 11w, 4/5w), one healthy DD and am 17w pg. With every single MC I had a horrible, gut instinct-type dread the whole time I was pg. With my successful pg, I worried (was after MC #1) but I didn't have the same innate feeling that something was wrong, and sure enough, she was fine. The 13w and 11w MC were both missed miscarriages, so absolutely no physical signs at all - lots of pg symptoms, no bleeding, etc etc. Both times, I told my mum something felt wrong, and both times she persuaded me it was normal to worry. Once the second mmc was picked up, she started believing me! Right from the start of this current pg, I didn't have the constant sinking dread, and touch wood, so far, things are fine. I firmly believe that some people have a well-developed gut instinct and/or are very in tune with their bodies.
You can't cause a miscarriage by worrying about it. No way, no how. It's much more likely IMO that you subconsciously knew something wasn't quite right. I'm so sorry for your loss, it's a hard hard time flowers

charlotte1990 Thu 18-Feb-16 22:35:03

I felt this also... your not alone. With my son who is 4 now when I was pregnant it didn't cross my mind that much. When I found out I was pregnant in November I just felt like something was going to go wrong and I thought about it alot more. And then I found out I had miscarried at the beginning of January.x

pinkchampagne1 Thu 18-Feb-16 22:49:45

I had that gut instinct feeling that things were wrong when I had my MMC in 2010. I had lots of pregnancy symptoms and no signs that anything was wrong but I had a strong feeling that the pregnancy would not end with me giving birth to a baby. I also didn't feel I would see a baby on the screen when I had my 12 week scan. Fast forward to the scan and there was no baby to be seen on the screen. An internal scan revealed the baby had stopped growing at 7 weeks so my gut instinct was right.

Iggi999 Fri 19-Feb-16 21:09:48

I had several mcs, then a successful pg. With each new pg my worry increased, so my final pg was my most anxious one yet it was the one that worked. I take this as reassurance that worry did not cause my mcs!

smellsofelderberries Thu 25-Feb-16 13:04:06

I also felt a lot of dread from very early on with my pregnancy that ended in MMC. I had a lot of guilt over feeling like that and spoke to SANDS and the very kind man on the phone said that's something he hears a LOT, and that it's probably because our body knows baby isn't okay before we do, so it's our brain on some level connecting to our body and going 'baby isn't okay!' I found that a very, very comforting thought.

JizzyStradlin Thu 25-Feb-16 14:04:11

Nah. Nothing you could have done. Women can and do carry pregnancies to term in circumstances of unbelievably high stress, and they can do this because it's not a cause of miscarriage. It would've been something else entirely. You worrying won't do a thing. More likely your brain was picking up on what was going on in your body.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now