Missed miscarriage- Twins(5 Posts)
I had a private reassurance scan this morning. I should be 9 weeks pregnant (we used OPKS/temping to track ovulation so I'm confident of my dates). The sonographer found two fetal poles, one 5mm and one 6mm but no heartbeats. I'm absolutely devastated. It put me at 6 weeks pregnant.
I've been advised to ring my GP on Monday for a emergency referral to the EPU.
Can anyone advise me on what happens next? Has anyone been in a similar position? I've had no bleeding, no cramps.
Oh shit, Shary I'm so so sorry.
GP will get you into EPU ASAP, hopefully within a day or two. They will scan you and then they might ask you to wait and come back in a week to confirm non-viability. I think this is if the measurements are small enough that a heartbeat might feasibly not be present yet but the pg would still be viable. However, they might not need to do this, it depends on the individual situation.
Then they will probably offer you medical management (induced miscarriage), surgical management (D&C/ERPC) or natural management, ie wait for nature to do things in its own time. It's totally up to you what you choose, a really personal decision. My first mmc I opted for surgical as I just wanted it all over as quickly as possible, my second mmc I had no choice as haemorrhaged at home and had an emergency ERPC.
The whole situation is just the worst, most horrible thing. I would never ever wish it on my worst enemy. I hope you're being well looked after. and for you.
I've posted my story of my missed miscarriage on this forum. I'm so sorry for your loss. If you have an EPU near you then you could try ringing and self referring. The private clinic I went to referred me. It is likely that the epu will insist you want a week after your scan to check for growth as your babies are measuring under 7 mm. That bit is so cruel. Hope you get some answers soon
I'm so sorry, it's awful isn't it?
I'm currently going through similar. My baby's heart stopped beating when it was 11 weeks.
What happened for me I think is a standard procedure, but may vary slightly;
I had a private scan that diagnosed a mmc. I called midwife who booked me into see epau. Epau did a scam and confirmed the sad news.
Although it's 100% a mmc, their rules state a second confirmation scan must be done a week later.
So I go in again on Wednesday for the scan, and I've opted for Medical Management and will have the first pill after the scan. Then I'm booked in for the second stage of that. I'll have pills internally and have to stay in hospital until it's all passed.
The other options are the operation or the wait and see approach to let it pass naturally.
Again, I'm so sorry. It's a truly devastating experience, so be kind to yourself and surround yourself with support
I was in exactly the same situation as you 2 months ago. I had a twin pregnancy medical management but it wasn't successful and I found out afterwards that this is common with twins. I ended up having surgery 1 month ago today and wish I had gone straight for that option to be honest. Hugs X
Join the discussion
Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.Register now
Already registered with Mumsnet? Log in to leave your comment or alternatively, sign in with Facebook or Google.
Please login first.