Advanced search

Retained tissue, stopped bleeding. Unsure what to do

(5 Posts)
InsufficientlyCaffeinated Fri 15-Jan-16 12:01:54

I started miscarrying last week and the worst of it was intense with a lot of bleeding. I passed the foetal sac on Saturday and the pain and bleeding reduced significantly. The last couple of days I've just had intermittent light bleeding when I wiped, didn't need a pad, and now just have a pink discharge. Went back to EPAU for a scan today expecting it all to be over because the bleeding had stopped but they said I still have some retained tissue, about half as much as when they scanned me last week during the miscarriage.

Now I don't know what to do. The nurse said that normally they ask people to go back 2 weeks later rather than one but because I was bleeding so heavily they got me in sooner, but because it's only been a week that might be why there is still tissue and I could continue to pass it naturally. However because I have stopped bleeding, it may need intervention. I have said I'll let them know my decision tomorrow but I really don't know what to do.

I could continue naturally and wait another week or two to see how it goes. Risk is it doesn't pass naturally

I could speed things along with medical management but I don't want to go through all that intense pain again if there is a chance of it passing naturally

I could go for surgical but considering that there isn't as much left, the nurse didn't seem keen on this option but did suggest having surgical management under local anaesthetic could be better.

I just feel so disheartened that it isn't over after all and unsure what to do. I'm tempted to carry on letting nature take its course but as I've stopped bleeding and my cervix has closed, I don't want to run the risk of infection if it doesn't pass.

Anybody else experienced this? What did you do?

Loki17 Fri 15-Jan-16 17:30:59

My miscarriage took weeks. As you know, baby died at 8 weeks, but I didn't start bleeding properly until 12 weeks (had a bit of spotting before at 11) and finally miscarried at 13. 5 weeks total from the time baby stopped developing. I think the chance of infection must still be low because otherwise they would have insisted you have some form of management. If I had the choice this time I would have had medical management because waiting to miscarry was torture. I had a small amount if retained tissue that apparently will either come out soon or with my next period. Hope you are okay and good luck making your decision. flowers

wonkylegs Fri 15-Jan-16 17:43:57

I never bled with my late miscarriage even after medical management (despite getting painful cramps) so ended up having an ERPC anyway after trying waiting & medical, which in someways was a relief because I then knew it was finally all over. It was really hard because no matter what decision you make its a shitty situation to be in. Sorry I can't be more helpful, just wanted to say whatever happens look after yourself and give yourself (& your partner) time to physically and emotionally heal.

InsufficientlyCaffeinated Fri 15-Jan-16 18:57:14

Thanks Loki & Wonkylegs. It really is hard to choose between three shitty situations and from reading other experiences I think it was naive of me to assume that it could be over in a week. As my body started to miscarry on its own I just assumed it would complete on its own. Right now I'm leaning towards giving it another week just to see if it does start again and then maybe go for ERPC if not. Having gone through the pain and blood once, I just can't face the idea of medical management knowing it will just bring more of that

Curlywurly4 Sat 16-Jan-16 09:26:28

So sorry you are going through this. I had retained products after after surgical management. It took about 10 days to pass it all, period arrived two weeks later.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now