What is going on? TMI and Graphic - sorry.

(14 Posts)
Loki17 Fri 08-Jan-16 10:34:16

I found out two weeks two days ago that our baby had stopped growing at about 8 weeks. There had been no signs of miscarriage before that but the scan showed the sac was starting to show signs of collapse. My sac collapsed two days later, I know this because my water broke just like during labour but with less volume. The hospital scanned me three days after that and insisted they could only see a 3 mm foetal pole and a 2.5 cm diameter sac (private scan showed 1.29cm foetus and 8.5 cm diameter sac.) Hospital said I'd have to wait another week to be re scanned before they would offer medical management. I lost my mucous plug 6 days ago and the bleeding started. Hospital said it would be a natural miscarriage and I wouldn't need intervention. Bleeding got heavier, passed clots and part of the sac over the last few days and pain was manageable. Today, I feel like I'm in labour. Pressure on my cervix, pain in my back, bleeding heavy. It is just like my labour with my dd. I should be 13 weeks today. Is this normal? The hospital said I'd have a heavy period with some clots but that the foetal tissue was degraded so I wouldn't see anything. So why do I feel like I need to push? I'm not sure what to do or think.

Llindsey85 Fri 08-Jan-16 13:39:04

Sorry to hear you are going through this. I had this with my miscarriage in Dec.

Was really shocked as the doctors said it would be like a heavy period but it was the worst pain I've ever experienced!

I was 11 weeks but baby stopped growing somewhere between 7 and 9 weeks and they couldn't see the baby on my final scan (I didn't watch so unsure what they saw) although I had a fairly normal scan at 7 weeks.

My experience went like:
Cramps and light bleeding in morning until dinner time
Really painful contractions for about 3 - 4 hours
Started passing huge clots (tennis ball sized)
After the painful bit finished i just had bad period type cramps for a few days.
I passed the sack a few days after and felt better after that.

I wasnt prepared for how fragile my body felt for about a week afterwards though so take care of yourself and rest. Head up to hospital if the pain gets too bad and they will give you stronger painkillers.

Iggi999 Fri 08-Jan-16 13:45:11

I bled with an 8 week MC, then the bleeding stopped and I was really sore, like I was splitting inside (hadn't been in labour but I assume a minor version of that) then the pain stopped suddenly and I had an urge to push, just once, and the sac came out of me. About the size of my little finger but a bit thicker.
It does sound like this is what is happening to you. I think half the time they haven't a clue in the clinics because if you miscarry at home, no one ever asks you how it went, so this idea of a "heavy period" continues (though I have had an earlier MC that was closer to that it is true).
Sorry for your loss flowers

Loki17 Fri 08-Jan-16 14:05:21

Thanks both. Everything is coming away in pieces because, in reality, the baby died at least 5 weeks ago. Things have been breaking down since Christmas day. I'm angry with the hospital for leaving me like this. I was told at my nhs scan that if it hadn't have been the 23rd of December when we found out at our private scan they would have seen me the same day as the private clinic. Because it was Christmas, they didn't have time to start the medical management so they left me. By the time they scanned me on the 28th the sac had collapsed but they still wouldn't help because the foetal pole fell below their 7 mm tolerance so they had to wait a week to see if there was any growth! In spite of the fact that they could see an 8 week old foetus on the private scan. I just want it to be over and after 16 days of knowing and 6 days of bleeding it still isn't.

RoTo72 Fri 08-Jan-16 14:23:46

Loki that's so unfair v my b sac had collapsed too and baby was significantly smaller than the scan two weeks previous. I was offered medical, surgical or natural. As know I chose a d&c. I think how they left you is very cruel xx. Massive hugs

MushroomMama Fri 08-Jan-16 14:30:27

This sounds like my MC I didn't know i was pregnant though so unaware of a sac but I started off light bleeding like a period then the cramps increased until I was passing very large clots that felt like they needed pushing out.

Huge hugs flowers

Loki17 Sat 09-Jan-16 08:27:02

I passed everything about an hour ago. I drank a couple of glasses of wine last night in the hope I could sleep. I woke to bad pains about 3 am but took more pain killers and fell back to sleep. At 7 ish, I felt strange and, as I stood up, there was a huge gush. I went into the bathroom and there everything was. A collapsed sac about the size of my palm. Everything was shrunken but I know the baby will be inside. I've wrapped it up and put it in a box. I can't flush it down the toilet. It was bigger than I expected and the hospital led my to believe I wouldn't see anything. I just can't flush it. What if it doesn't flush or gets stuck? I just feel like I need to give the baby a dignified ending. I don't know what to do.

Ledkr Sat 09-Jan-16 08:59:13

Oh God love. How awful. Are u on your own?

LegoClone Sat 09-Jan-16 08:59:38

When I miscarried I took the sac into the hospital to confirm things - in my case they weren't sure if I was having a mc as the scan showed I was about 5 weeks, my dates suggested I was 9 weeks and hcg levels were really high.

After it was confirmed the nurse asked me about what I wanted to happen with the sac. At the time I was a bit confused by this and didn't find out what the options were, but it may be worth phoning up your hospital to find out.

I'm so sorry for your loss. flowers

RoTo72 Sat 09-Jan-16 09:01:35

Loki massive hugs. Iv heard of many women who buried their babies under a tree r plant. Maybe get a special box r urn. I'm sorry, I didn't have this issue. My hospital cremated my bub and she is buried in a local cemetery. Maybe give local funeral home a call, iv hears of some who will cremate remains for free. Hope someone else here can give you better advice. Massive hugs ❤❤❤

CoffeeCoffeeAndLotsOfIt Sat 09-Jan-16 09:12:23

I had a miscarriage in May. The sac came away when I wiped - it didn't fall into the loo.

The following day may dh buried it under a bush in the garden.

I had dreadful after pains (sharp like wind) after my mc.

Sorry for your loss thanks

Loki17 Sat 09-Jan-16 09:32:36

Thanks everyone. My dh is here and I've just had a long chat with my mum so I'm ok. I feel relieved. I'm glad that I've had proof my baby was really here, even though it is so tragic. I like the idea of buying a planter. I need to talk to dh really. I'm glad that the hospital were wrong but I think I might put a complaint in. I should have been offered medical management 2 weeks ago. I should never have had to wait like this.

Llindsey85 Sat 09-Jan-16 14:15:53

I think hospitals have a lot of improvement to make I'm general when handling miscarriages.

I was admitted after fainting and unable to eat or drink just after my worst pains. After being on fluids all night they sent me for a scan in the morning. I was wheeled down and left sitting in the same waiting room as all the happy pregnant women and their partners and children. It was awful. My husband asked if we could wait someplace else and it took them 20 minutes to be able to do this. I was in floods of tears and wearing a hospital gown and dressing gown in a wheelchair.

I'm glad your over the worst of it. You can take the remains to hospital if you like them cremated.

Unfortunately mine came away at my parents house and I didn't even think to keep them and flushed the toilet. I think my mind was blank to what was happening.

redstrawberries101 Sat 09-Jan-16 17:46:15

Loki sorry you have gone through this sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now