Talk

Advanced search

Empty sac at 10 weeks

(14 Posts)
ScottishInSwitzerland Mon 14-Dec-15 11:29:11

I went for a scan on Saturday as I was bleeding a little. Midwife said it was probably nothing but they agreed to scan me.

Scan showed a 10 week sized sac but nothing in it.

They sent me home and told me it would miscarry naturally and I should come back on Friday (for my pre arranged booking in appointment) to check everything has gone.

But the bleeding has stopped and I am left knowing I have this awful empty thing inside me.

I've been looking on the internet how to speed it all up but there doesn't seem anything concrete.

I'm grateful for the threads here which give an indication of what to expect when I miscarry. But I hate being stuck in limbo. Knowing my baby is gone but still having this empty sac inside me seemingly stubbornly refusing to just go away.

I know nobody can make this any better but I would really appreciate some company and hand holding.

Alice1983 Mon 14-Dec-15 11:50:01

I am sorry to hear your news flowers i would say to wait and see if it happens naturally without intervention (i have been through it naturally) at 10 weeks you should get cramps when this happens ( this is what happened to me anyway)t

Alice1983 Mon 14-Dec-15 11:51:47

For me it happened at 12 weeks just over but everyones body is different so it could be different for you

ScottishInSwitzerland Mon 14-Dec-15 12:35:24

Thanks Alice.

My other issue is that I'm supposed to fly home to Scotland a week on Thursday for Christmas. And I don't know whether I can if this is still dragging on (health insurance etc).

I am gutted there isn't a baby but I'm also just upset that this awful disaster may also spoil christmas as well

teaandporridge Mon 14-Dec-15 12:42:57

I'm very sorry for your news, I experienced the exact same thing at 10 weeks and I was also living out of the UK. There isn't anything you can do personally but you can request a procedure called d & c (have to google what the abbreviation stands for) especially if your paying for health insurance then I'd just get it done. The waiting is horrible, you can't get closure until you know it's away. I waited for it to pass naturally and I wish I never. Ended up happening in the middle of the night between a Saturday and Sunday. Came thick and fast and I had to call out a Dutch midwife as I thought I was loosing too much blood; was soaking through pads. Also, I was running out of pads and the shops all close in holland on a Sunday, it was horrible. Hope that's not tmi for you, just wanted to share my experience.

ScottishInSwitzerland Mon 14-Dec-15 15:05:15

Thank you tea and porridge.

It's not tmi at all. Thanks for sharing.

Yes I'm thinking that if nothing is happening by tomorrow morning I will phone the midwife.

My scan on Friday isn't until 1350 so I'm thinking if I wait until then the earliest I could get a d&c would be Monday. And I don't know how that would work with flying on the Thursday.

As if finding out the baby has gone isn't bad enough. I'm petrified of it happening naturally but also desperate to get it over with.

Bonywasawarriorwayayix Mon 14-Dec-15 15:25:21

Hi Scottish. I had a MMC whilst staying in Switzerland in October (was 12 weeks but baby had died at 10 weeks). I had a D&C the day after the GP confirmed it, it all happened v quickly. The op itself was in and out in a day. I had an epidural. Oh, and I had to take a pill early that morning to 'help' which gave me cramps but no change in bleeding.

I would have been fine to fly I think, though I went straight back to charging around after toddler DS when I should have taken it a bit easier. Bleeding was no worse than a middling period.

So sorry for your loss flowers

ScottishInSwitzerland Mon 14-Dec-15 15:33:45

Urgh. And Ive just had mh daughters speech therapist on the phone. She was suppose to to there at 2pm and I completely forgot.

So I told the bloody speech therapist I'm having a miscarriage. Poor woman. Talk about tmi. I should just have apologised and said I'm not well.

ScottishInSwitzerland Mon 14-Dec-15 15:38:58

Thanks for sharing bony

I'm definitely going to phone them tomorrow morning.

ISeeIt Mon 14-Dec-15 15:46:00

My scan at 12 weeks showed an empty sac about the size it should be at 10. I started bleeding about a week later, and continued for a week until I was woken early one morning by a contraction and had to go and sit in the bath. I pushed out (sorry) the blood-clot bound sac (really sorry) and was horrified and shocked but a little later very glad to have that to bury with the weeping cherry tree we got to mark our baby's life. I was glad to have done it naturally in the end, although I did then continue to bleed for a couple more weeks. It felt like an awful time but that in that intense period I worked through the loss. Give the method of management some good thought, some friends have found medical management even more traumatic than natural. It's a very personal choice. Wishing you all the best OP, hugs and strength

Disorderedthought Mon 14-Dec-15 18:14:28

I'm really sorry you're going through this. It's truly hideous. I've just been through the same although a couple of weeks earlier. I had to wait until the sac was a sufficient size before they could def confirm a MMC and the waiting was the worst.
I needed some closure. I had 2 lots of failed medical management which was hideous, undignified and painful. I have just had something called an MVA which is a local anaesthetic equivalent of a D&C. It was uncomfortable but bearable and was over in 15 mins with very little physical after effects. It's given me some closure. Two weeks off work has turned into three because of how prolonged everything was.
It's been awful but there is light at the other side. Sending hugs.

ScottishInSwitzerland Tue 15-Dec-15 10:08:57

So I went back today to see if they could help speed things up. And now they can see something in the sac. The doctor thinks it's new as she said she couldn't imagine her colleague missing it.

It looks a bit like a yolk sac and an embryo but they don't know. There's no heartbeat and it's too small anyway for there to be a heartbeat.

I did a positive test five weeks ago so I am so sure it's a loss. But of course we have to wait and see.

I am still very lightly bleeding so the doctor has prescribed magnesium which she said may help.

I will re start folic acid and generally make an effort to take care of myself just in case.

This has been such a roller coaster. And dh's response was that he will look like an idiot at work because he told his boss we had lost the baby. He will be supportive in due course, that was just his initial reaction.

ScottishInSwitzerland Wed 16-Dec-15 11:49:39

Just thought I would briefly update that I lost the pregnancy last night.
A part of me is relieved that it's over. Just need to get through Christmas and hopefully get back to 'normal' in the new year

TheExMotherInLaw Wed 16-Dec-15 12:02:16

So sorry you're going through this too. I've been there a couple of times. Once I had to have surgery afterwards.
All good advice above.
It is possible to carry non identical twins, and lose just one of them, so they will likely monitor what they can see for a while.
flowers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now