Talk

Advanced search

Can i ask GP for tests/investigations after only 2 MC?

(8 Posts)
Faybells Mon 16-Nov-15 20:26:40

Hello everyone,

Ive had 2 miscarriages over last 7 months (11 weeks & 4.5 weeks). I have a 4yo DS, the result of a very happy unplanned pregnancy without complications.

We are about to start TTC again and i am aware guidelines state tests will only be done following 3 consecutive miscarriages. But i have begun to wonder if i could just go and request these. Has anyone done this and had success? Is it really strict policy to wait till after 3 MC? OH has private healthcare with work and i was contemplating going down that route too, but again wondered if a gp would not do a referral until 3 miscarriages.

I imagine it is going to be hugely dependent on the individual GP, but i am keen to hear experiences of others.

Thanks.

Only1scoop Mon 16-Nov-15 20:30:08

I had quite a few tests done. I just insisted on it as I was over 40.

Sorry to hear of your lossesthanks

Only1scoop Mon 16-Nov-15 20:33:39

I also have private healthcare which I used for my second MMC.

I had some of the tests done following the treatment.

Many of the blood tests etc are not routinely covered under general private cover. It's worth an ask though,

Faybells Tue 17-Nov-15 06:27:23

Thanks. I suppose it wont hurt booking and appointment to see what my options are.

SaltySeaBird Tue 17-Nov-15 06:42:34

I also asked and had some tests done too - I was having fertility treatment and they agreed to do some tests (NHS) as to use their words, no point getting me pregnant if they can't keep me pregnant. I think my age was also a factor. Doesn't hurt to ask.

Orange1969 Tue 17-Nov-15 06:44:27

Sorry for your losses flowers

I had four miscarriages before my son was born. They didn't offer tests until I'd had three losses but it would be worth asking.

furryleopard Tue 17-Nov-15 07:02:18

I had some bloods done by GP after my 3rd but nothing until then, I was referred to the consultant after my 3rd as well but in the meantime while I was waiting for my referral the GP did some bloods, yours may be able to do that after 2? Mine did say the statistics showed after 2 you're still likely to be fine next time which is why they don't refer or investigate until 3. Incidentally I had 4 and my 5th pregnancy gave me my DD after taking low dose aspirin from a positive test (or in my case a few days before as I knew I was pregnant).

I'm sorry for your losses.

Faybells Tue 17-Nov-15 08:23:47

Thanks for sharing experiences. I may be jumping the gun in requesting tests. I just thought perhaps its worth asking for the blood tests, nothing too extensive. My paranoia is getting the better of me...and i came across an article about thyroid problems and of course now im imagining symptoms of this lol!! So i started to wonder if it would be possible to request teats before 3 mc. Ill perhaps ask...wont hurt. Thanks again everyone. flowers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now