Talk

Advanced search

beta-hCG still climbing 2 weeks after blighted ovum found... normal?

(2 Posts)
magnificatAnimaMea Mon 09-Nov-15 22:03:35

Dating scan showed 22mm gestational sac + yolk sac, but no foetal pole, at 10+0, 9+2, 8+4, 7+4 or (implausibly) 6+5. They said "too early, re-scan in 10 days".

Follow-up scan 10 days later showed just a 21mm gestational sac, no yolk sac and no foetal pole. They said "not at diagnosable cut-off, re-scan in 10 days".

b-hCG was 56,000 the day after the dating scan. It went up to 88,000 2 days later, and has been hovering around 100,000, measured every 48 hours; until yesterday - it's now 150,000, 2 weeks after the initial scan.

I have another week to wait for the next scan (i.e. current date is 12+0, 11+2, 10+4 or 9+4, or unlikely 8+5).

b-hCG is within the realms of normal whatever the date is, but obviously, this is just leftover trophoblast at this stage, not a developing placenta or anything. Midwife, 2 obstetricians and nurses in the EPAU all seemed to think I should have miscarried by now.

Is it normal for b-hCG still to be going up and to have no signs at all of miscarriage, or should I begin to wonder about gestational trophoblastic disease?

magnificatAnimaMea Mon 09-Nov-15 22:34:28

I should clarify that a gestational sac of 22mm is normal for about 7w2d.

So assuming that either the sac developed as a result of a blighted ovum, up to 7w2d; or it's a missed miscarriage that happened at 7w2d ish with subsequent resorption of the foetal pole and then the yolk sac - this could easily now be 5 weeks after everything stopped developing. Which is probably why everyone thinks I should have miscarried by now, and why I'm wondering about GTD criteria...

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: