Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Low protein S levels - need advice. *pregnancy mentioned*

(2 Posts)
need15 Tue 13-Oct-15 09:59:11

I'd like advice about protein S deficiency please. I'm in the UK and am almost 38 yrs old. I have one son age 3. He was conceived via IVF but my pregnancy was trouble free.

I'm currently 9 weeks pregnant and had a private scan at 8 weeks when all was looking good. I've been taking low dose aspirin since I found out I was pregnant, as well as progesterone supplements, due to two miscarriages in the previous 10 months (one IVF pregnancy lost at 6weeks + in November 2014 and one natural conception lost at 9 weeks in June this year after heartbeat seen at 7 weeks...) My GP (family doctor) prescribed both due to the previous losses and after consulting with the hospital consultant who deals with recurrent miscarriage. The GP also ordered a full thrombophilia blood screen but this was done when I was already 5 weeks pregnant. All came back fine except Protein S which was very slightly low at 60. The GP said normal is 63. She consulted a haematologist who just recommended repeating the test as Protein S is known to fall in pregnancy. I got the results of the latest test yesterday and it's down to 19. I was shocked and stressed. GP spoke with the obstetric haematologist at the local hospital who said no need for concern at this point as I'm still in the first trimester but wants to see me before the second trimester for further tests and monitoring. Said keep taking the low dose aspirin 75mg daily. I'm only partly reassured though despite this expert'a opinion. I've read people taking lovenox etc from BFP and earlier and with higher protein S readings than mine. I got a second opinion yesterday from a professor of fetal medicine who I saw privately after my 2nd miscarriage. His view is that I should take the lovenox from now and continue the aspirin too. What do I do? Whose advice do I trust? What are dangerously low protein S levels in each trimester please? Thanks in advance!

Sixgeese Fri 06-Nov-15 23:56:49

I am sorry that I can't give you any help with regards to PS levels during pregnancy as while I have Protein S Deficiency, I was diagnosed before I got pregnant.

As I was already on warfarin, I was automatically switched onto Clexane, which is also a LWMH drug the same as Lovenox as soon as I found out that I was pregnant. I have had three DC while on anticoagulants.

If you want more PSD related advice, there is a website and forum for people with PSD, proteinsdeficiency.com/, while I haven't been on there for a while, there was a pregnancy section to the forum.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now