Talk

Advanced search

Can you "speed up" a medically managed miscarriage?

(7 Posts)
nousernameinspiration Wed 24-Jun-15 18:28:42

Had an ectopic in feb 2012 and last Sunday had a MMC confirmed.

Went into hospital yesterday to have medical management as didn't want more surgery and so far I've had some bleeding but not much more.

I've been sent home and told to go back next weds if nothing happens.

I really don't want the surgical option due to the possible fertility issues. I am already a tube down and nearly 35 so I want to hold onto as much fertility as possible.

Does anyone know of any ways to try and help things along? I've read that walking can be good.

Thanks and flowers to everyone who finds themselves here. It's heartbreaking

Anon4Now2015 Wed 24-Jun-15 19:15:51

I had 15 failed attempts at medical management earlier this year and was told nothing could really help things along. That said the pills seemed to have more of an effect when I took them orally rather than vaginally. I ended up having to have the surgery.

Hope you are OK and that things move along quickly for you

nousernameinspiration Wed 24-Jun-15 19:19:05

15!!!!!

On the same MMC? I didn't even know that was possible.

I'm so sorry for your loss

Anon4Now2015 Wed 24-Jun-15 19:24:20

Yes the same MMC. It was the most attempts they had ever given anyone and one of the consultants did some research and thought it might be the most ever. I was insistent though that I didn't want the surgery (for very similar reasons to you) and they were worried about infection so keeping trying with medical management seemed a reasonable option. In the end though there fears about infection increased and I had to have surgery. (The surgery then ended up being incomplete and i miscarried some placental tissue 4 days later at home)

I'm currently pregnant again but it is looking incredibly precarious and if I was to have another mmc I would go straight to surgery.

Did you have the maximum dose of misoprostal and then have top up doses after 8 hours and 16 hours?

bakingtins Wed 24-Jun-15 19:27:38

I had 2 doses of misoprostol 24 hours start, first given in hospital and then a dose to be taken at home. 2nd one worked (can't believe any protocol would
let them try 15 times!)
Any vigorous activity can help, a friend swears by taking out the anger on digging the garden....
I think a week is too long to wait, if nothing happens in the first day or so get back in touch and ask about other options.
Some places do ERPC with ultrasound guidance which should make it a less invasive option. Worth asking if the MM doesn't work.
V sorry for your loss flowers

bakingtins Wed 24-Jun-15 19:29:35

Sorry anon cross posted. I'm not doubting the truth of your story, just slightly incredulous they thought the fifteenth dose would work where 14 failed. Poor you!

Anon4Now2015 Wed 24-Jun-15 19:33:12

To be fair to them, they wanted me to have surgery after the first three attempts medically as they thought they would probably not work. I, however, refused the surgery because I was worried about the risks. So their choices were really to either keep offering me repeated medical management or to refuse and send me home to miscarry naturally. Because of other factors we were both agreed that miscarrying at home would not be the safer of those two options. It was way outside the protocol though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now