Talk

Advanced search

anybody not had a re-scan after miscarriage

(9 Posts)
strawberrycrumble Mon 08-Jun-15 13:07:28

Hi, bit of background, was 11 weeks pregnant. Had cramping and bleeding and had a private scan on Saturday which showed an empty sac, no baby had developed. I am pretty certain I passed the sac yesterday and saw the GP this morning to see what happens now. She examined me and said it certainly feels like everything has passed and she was confident no scan was needed.
I just assumed all women in this situation had a further scan to check all was clear, I didn't realise doctors could do it by examining internally.
Now im home and have had chance to think it over, im feeling a bit anxious that I wont be having a scan that I assumed I would be, is this quite normal not to re-scan if doctor is confident all feels ok?

cunchofbunts Mon 08-Jun-15 13:15:23

I had a miscarriage at ten weeks and had a scan about a day later. No further scans after that as it showed that everything was all clear.

If you are still bleeding a few weeks down the line, get it checked out. That's what the leaflet said that they gave me.

My cycles came back pretty quickly as well.

Luckystar1 Mon 08-Jun-15 13:35:30

I didn't. I had a MMC in Sept 2013, heartbeat at 8 weeks but none at 10 weeks (private scans). I had medical management and no follow up scans. It took me (I think) 6 weeks to get a negative test and 8 weeks to get my AF back.

I am so sorry for your loss. It was one of the worst times of my life. I have very luckily gone on to have a beautiful Ds but I still cry over the MC.

Take care of yourself and take time to grieve. flowers

formerlyofLadysmith Mon 08-Jun-15 13:43:20

I didn't have any scans when I miscarried, if I had still been bleeding weeks later I would have gone back. Hope you feel better soon.

IssyStark Mon 08-Jun-15 13:52:28

First, hugs and flowers

I had seven m/c while working on getting my two dc. When the miscarriage was obviously complete (sac passed etc) then I didn't have a scan, when it seemed to be incomplete (not much bleeding) then I did have a scan and often had to have an ERPC. Once I had odd discharge after the m/c and I did then have several scans to find out what was happening.

Honestly, miscarriage is very common (about 25% of all known conceptions) and most women don't have post-mc scans. Try not to be over anxious. If you are still bleeding or have any odd discharge in a couple of weeks from now, get yourself to the GP /Early Pregnancy Unit again.

You can get cheap pregnancy test on eBay and Amazon (the type doctors use) at pennies per test, if you want to check when the pregnancy hormones are out of your system, but I admit I never bothered because it seemed too cruel to myself, but at least wait until you have had one period to make sure your body has reset itself before ttc-ing again if you feel up to it.

You certainly don't have to wait 3 months if you don't want to. I was told after my first m/c I had to wait that long as I found it very hard to be 'treading water' (I've since do much research and spoken to consultants and they agree there is no medical basis for such advice after a first trimester m/c). A friend wrote to me after my first m/c to share her experience, and something she said stuck with me and I found it very useful to be forearmed: you may feel like you've been hit by a train when you get your first post-m/c period, not because it physically hurts, but because it is a tangible reminder that you are no longer pregnant.

Take care of yourself and remember it takes time to get over a miscarriage. Don't worry about being up one day and down the next: it is perfectly normal, you're not going mad or being weak or anything negative you might try to tell yourself.

babyangelbean20315 Wed 10-Jun-15 07:54:31

I only had scans to confirm my mmc , nothing after, I did have surgery to remove any tissue though so dont know if they did a scan again while I was knocked out
you can get your Dr to refer you for scans if you think u need some I had some a few weeks ago for pains I've been having since my mc in Sept

Adventuregame Fri 12-Jun-15 16:12:53

I had a check up scan 2 weeks after my erpc but we paid and went private. It was reassuring to be told that there was no tissue remaining and that everything looked healed and healthy !

rockybalboa Fri 12-Jun-15 16:19:07

Oh poor you. flowers I didn't have a rescan after passing what I was 99% sure was the sac and then the placenta at 10w. I did call the EPU to let them know as I had had the first pill in the medical management process the day before but they didn't need me back in. They just asked me to do a pg test later (I think 4 or 6 weeks later) and call them to confirm it was negative. I don't think I have ever had an internal examination as part of a miscarriage (I have had 4) but then I never saw my GP, just the EPU each time.

Look after yourself, it is a difficult time. Anecdotally you are apparently more fertile in the three months after a mc, I certainly was so don't feel that you need to wait for anything other than you being ready to try again. Best of luck for the future.

Whichseason Fri 12-Jun-15 16:22:25

I didn't. I was only 6 weeks pregnant and as stopped bleeding and I had a negative p test they did not rescan. I went home and passed a lot of tissues. But ending up having a rescan as I was bleeding for over 8 weeks. I needed treatment for retained tissue.

They can scan externally in the same way they scan for a normally pregnancy but if they can't see clearly they can use dildo cam.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now