MMC - what to expect?

(5 Posts)
TQBD Fri 05-Jun-15 17:15:08

I was told today Id experienced a MMC and was 8+2 but there was no heartbeat detected.

I don't want to upset anyone but feel I should point out I was attending a clinic to terminate which is why I was being scanned.

I've been given a slip; and advised to go to the EPU. EPU won't see me until Tuesday

I know they'll scan me there, but what will happen after this?

Thanks for any advice - appreciate im not the usual MMC scenario.

bakingtins Fri 05-Jun-15 19:41:41

You may want to visit the miscarriage association site for more information on your options. There is a thread on here called tips for coping with experiences of each which might help you decide which option you want. NICE guidelines now suggest a period of expectant management of 1-2 weeks of waiting for the MC to occur naturally, followed by options of either medical or surgical management. Surgical management/ERPC used to involve a general anaesthetic but now some units offer MVA (vacuum aspiration) under local anaesthetic.
If you measured a few weeks behind your dates already ( I.e. The pregnancy ended some weeks ago and your body has not recognised this) you may want to push for management sooner rather than later. A lot of women find it distressing to wait, and that would be another reason to request management ASAP.
It seems daft that the abortion clinic didn't offer you medical management since it's the same procedure....
I'm sorry you are facing this anyway, whatever your intentions re the pregnancy it's a horrible thing to go through. flowers

TQBD Sat 06-Jun-15 09:34:53

Thank you - it did come as a shock despite the fact we'd decided against continuing.

They measured at 8+2 but I don't know my dates so I'm not sure how far along I should be. 8weeks is longer than I expected being honest.

Thanks for the suggestions; im feeling less sick today which im assuming is a drop in hormone levels?

Autumn2014 Sat 06-Jun-15 19:00:06

Definitely read the practical tips thread. I would stock up on sanitary towels, for heavy flow, in case your body starts to mc naturally. Keep some with you if you go out. And make sure you have some pain killers in the house. I had a mmc at 9 weeks but measured 7 plus 5 with no hb , and waited 10 days before having a mva.

TQBD Sat 06-Jun-15 20:02:17

Thanks; I have sanitary pads - they're 'super' ones so hope they'll be okay. If not, 24hr Tesco is in close reach.

I also have a stock of painkillers - ibuprofen, paracetamol and cocodamol and am carrying both in my bag with me.

I've had some discomfort, sort of like the 'tingles' you get a day or so before a period so in one sense hope it happens this evening/overnight.

If I do begin to bleed between now and Tuesday - will I need to attend the appointment at the EPU?

Sorry if these are quite obvious questions; I feel totally unequipped for this if I'm honest and we have my step kids overnight which is adding to the worry a little.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now