Advanced search

Positive pregnancy test after 2 weeks - retained tissue

(11 Posts)
Ahhhcantthinkofagoodname Wed 29-Apr-15 11:59:11

Hi I had medical management 2 weeks ago (I was 9 weeks along but baby died at about 7 weeks) and am back at hospital for my follow up.

I was fairly confident everything had passed as I bleed v heavily on the day of the medical management and passed things that went plop in the toilet and then had bleeding for another 10 days which tailed off and stopped at the weekend. There's been no bleeding or spotting since Saturday, 4 days ago.

However a urine pregnancy test just showed positive and I am now having blood tests.

Now really scared I've got retained tissue, anyone know the likelihood of this? Has anyone got any advice on what I should be asking the doctors? I'm hoping for a scan.
Thanks in advance...

KittyandTeal Wed 29-Apr-15 12:04:15

I was told that I could get a +ve test up to 4 weeks after my tfmr at 22weeks. I imagine it's just your hcg levels getting back to normal.

Did the hospital give you any info on retained products and what to look for? Off the top of my head it is generally crampy pains in your uterus and having a temperature/feeling off.

I'm sure you can find a list of symptoms online. I would say if you don't have any other symptoms other than a positive test then it's just you hcg getting back to normal

Ahhhcantthinkofagoodname Wed 29-Apr-15 12:09:32

Thanks kitty, yeah part of the reason I was confident it had "worked" was because I actually feel really well now (the best I have felt since I brcame pregnant in early March) and have no cramps or bleeding. Reassuring to know that it could just be the hcg taking a while to come down. Thanks b much

nehagarg Wed 29-Apr-15 14:49:45

So sorry to hear about that. .. But I wouldn't worry ... It should be okay. It takes a while for hCG to come back down like kitty says. It also depends on how far along you were when you had a MC.

I am about 10 days from my D&C and still getting a +ve test. I'd wait until about 3-4 weeks and if its still +ve, then insist on blood work. Though from what you said it looks like you are already having bloods taken? That should give you some peace of mind.

I am in the same position as you. Waiting for my first hCG levels post mc to come back today. Fingers crossed for both of us smile

Ahhhcantthinkofagoodname Wed 29-Apr-15 16:44:10

Thanks a lot nehagarg, good luck to you on your results.

Doctor said she would discharge me if hcg was under 50 but refer me for a scan otherwise. Despite promising me a call me by 3 I've heard nothing and can't get through to speak to anyone �� does using hcg of above or below 50 to determine next steps sound reasonable though?

Thanks again ladies and sorry for your losses

nehagarg Thu 30-Apr-15 14:40:39

To be honest, hCG is a very varied and very unreliable number ... I have known people whose hCG dropped to below 5 within 3 days of their mc and others who went for 8-9 weeks with hCG still in their system. It depends on a lot of things what your hCG levels will be. Either way, its good to have a scan to confirm that you haven't had any blood clots left. I am sure it will all go well. Keep us posted! smile

Ahhhcantthinkofagoodname Thu 30-Apr-15 15:41:16

Did you get your results neharg?

Update from me: blood test showed hcg of 177 exactly 2 weeks after medical management. On the date I had the medical management I was 9 weeks along tho baby died at around 7 weeks. I know hcg when I was 8 weeks was 66000. Kind of reassuring hcg is variable but as well as retained tissue I am now worried about partial molar as I read about that on this board. I have a scan on Sunday though so hopefully that will shed some light on all this. If anyone had opinions or advice I'd welcome it. Thanks xx

nehagarg Thu 30-Apr-15 15:55:41

Good that it is down! smile ... Good luck with the scan. Do keep us posted.

My hCG is down to 66, about 9 days after my ERPC but then I was only 26,377 when I went in to A&E, the first time I bled 20 days ago. I might have had a partial molar. Awaiting results.

jassS Thu 30-Apr-15 18:56:59

I think it sounds more like a little bit of a retained tissue, rather than partial molar. Hcg drop has been quite considerable. I have had few times retained tissue and hcg has stayed in low hundreds because of that. never been a partial molar with these low numbers.
Best luck with scan and recovery!

Ahhhcantthinkofagoodname Fri 01-May-15 16:55:36

Thanks so much both. At the risk of seeming neurotic I will query the chances of a partial molar on Sunday even if doctor immediately dismisses it.
I am still hoping there is no retained tissue but get that there is a fair chance there might be.

Good luck with your next results nehagaag.

Ahhhcantthinkofagoodname Sun 03-May-15 21:09:49

Update... Had a scan this morning which was about 99% sure there was no retained tissue, could have been a tiny bit or a polyp (apparently harmless).

Also my hcg was 71 (down from 177 4 days ago). So it is coming down, just slowly! I now need to take a pregnancy test on 13th may and will be discharged if it is negative.

I just want it all to be over so we can TTC again, I know others have much worse experiences but it feels like it is dragging. Isn't it weird wishing for a negative pregnancy test!

Thanks everyone for your support...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now