Talk

Advanced search

Devastated...2nd mmc

(6 Posts)
ponyponypony Sun 01-Feb-15 14:32:28

Just need to put it down somewhere. Had a mmc last March at 12weeks scan. Today I went for a private reassurance scan at 8+1 to be told I was only 6+4 and there was no heartbeat. We've been ttc for frankly years. I am totally and utterly heartbroken. And so let down by my fecking useless excuse for a body.

I've no idea what to do next, do I go to work tomorrow and arrange a GP appointment for this week so they can refer me to EPU?

It's gutting as I have had plenty of symptoms this time. I have morning sickness right now. My GP was very dismissive when I spoke to her a few weeks ago about my concerns. She told me low dose Aspirin/progesterone etc in pregnancy were absolutely contraindicated. I'm not sure how I'm going to get any support if we ever manage to conceive again.

Sorry for the whinge. sad

Itscurtainsforyou Sun 01-Feb-15 14:42:37

I'm so sorry.
Can you go to your local early pregnancy unit? They should arrange a follow up scan to double check/make sure your dates aren't wrong etc.

Onsera3 Sun 01-Feb-15 14:49:00

You poor poor thing. I've never had a mc but I always have thought a mmc must be the worst shock.

You would have been hoping to avoid that with this early scan but I can't believe your misfortune.

It is such a powerless feeling when you think you might never get to hold your own baby.

I struggled ttc my DS and remember these feelings. We were lucky with IVF and the clinic gave me progesterone to take as a suppository for the first months. It's standard practise with fertility clinics I think. Also a colleague had a mc and was given it for her second natural pregnancy which she carried successfully.

You may need to start having some investigations so you will want a GP who is open to listen. Yours might need the hard word or you may need to change.

I have been in and out of the EPU this week. I am luckily enough to have got pregnant naturally now but keep bleeding. I have seen various posters on the walls of waiting area about miscarriage and would you like to take part in a study and try this tablet etc.

I am sure that some other posters who have had more similar experiences will be able to offer your better words of support. I just didn't want to read and run and wanted to add my personal use of the progesterone.

Hugs and sympathies to you. I hope dearly you will hold a baby of your own.

bakingtins Sun 01-Feb-15 15:38:05

Hi pony I'm v sorry you are facing another loss. A second MC is particularly difficult as it's hard to accept you can be just unlucky twice, but the medics are often still dismissive. Generally you won't be referred for investigations unless you have 3 consecutive losses, but some women on the RMC thread have had basic tests done after 2 losses, particularly if age or fertility problems mean time is of the essence. Your Gp is right about the aspirin, recent research says it is absolutely contraindicated unless for a specific diagnosed clotting disorder as it affects implantation and increases the miscarriage rate. There has been a big study (PROMISE) into progesterone in early pregnancy which should be published very soon. If the
GP won't refer you maybe you should consider if going private is an option? I went private after my 3rd (but not 3 consecutive) MC and my Gp then did the tests that the consultant recommended.
At the moment I'd get a referral or self refer to EPU, see if they will accept the findings of the private scan and book you a follow up in a week, or if they won't, get an EPU scan ASAP. What you don't want is to wait 1-2 weeks then find they are counting that as a 'first' scan and won't do anything.
You are v welcome to join the RMC support thread if you have any questions about testing, there are several posters who have joined after 2 losses.

brickiemum2 Sun 01-Feb-15 16:00:22

Just a big hug and holding your hand. I'm in the middle of a mmc at the minute and I can totally empathise with your anger and disgust at the whole situation. Xxx

mrsmootoo Wed 11-Feb-15 10:25:40

I do sympathise. I had 6 MCs, but interspersed with 3 normal pregnancies. After 3 MC in a row my GP did a blood test and it turned out I had an underactive thyroid (hypothyroidism). I took thyroxine for 6 months (I will have to take it forever, but it is a mild manageable condition) and then I got pregnant again. Maybe you could see if this is the problem - like you it wasn't a problem conceiving, but this condition does cause MC and it gets worse with each pregnancy.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: