Talk

Advanced search

What to keep?

(10 Posts)
Pipbin Sat 17-Jan-15 17:17:53

I just lost my only ever pregnancy that was conceived after 5 years of trying and three rounds of IVF. It is very unlikely that I will ever conceive again.

I want to keep the 7 and 8 week scan pictures that we had and also the first positive test I took.

Did you do the same? Is that a good thing to do? I threw away everything else when I got back from the hospital, all the leaflets from the midwife etc.

What did you keep? Did it help you?

purpleflower23 Sat 17-Jan-15 18:42:36

I'm so sorry for your loss flowers

I hung on to lots of leaflets, freebies, etc. for a long time shoved at the back of a drawer. Just before Christmas, I was feeling very brave & went through it all, chucking everything away apart from the scan photo & a couple of personal things which will help us remember. I've put them in a little memory box & haven't looked at them since but it helps to know they're there.

Xxx

MabelBee Sat 17-Jan-15 18:46:11

I have a box tied up in ribbon with pregnancy notes, appointment letters, everything. I look at it once a year and remember my little one. I think it does help.

sizethree Sat 17-Jan-15 19:52:32

pipbin I'm so so sorry for your loss. It must be incredibly heartbreaking after all you've been through to get there.
I think keeping the scan pictures and positive test is lovely and it'd be nice to get a special box to home them in.
I've sadly had three miscarriages and for each I have bought a little piece of jewellery. So when I wear them I feel the connection.
Also on the due date of my first loss (2 & 3 haven't passed yet) I bought a beautiful white rose and my husband and I went down to our local beach at sunset and released the rose into the tide. It was very emotional but very healing.

BumWad Sun 18-Jan-15 16:16:31

Pipbin I am so sorry for your loss.

I would keep the scan pictures like you say. Do you have a yearly diary? I liked to keep that as it had all my appointments scribbled on it was a nice reminder. I keep all my things in a memory box which I do look through every now and then.

I wish you the best flowers

SunbathingCat Sun 18-Jan-15 16:30:25

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Worksallhours Wed 21-Jan-15 18:00:39

Just to let you know, pipbin, the result window on your pregnancy test may degrade (mine did, and I found it upsetting). If you want to keep a memory of it, it might be an idea to take a photo of the result window.

flowers

Pipbin Wed 21-Jan-15 18:20:07

Thank you all. Good thought Works I do have a picture of it but I will make sure.

NooNooMummy Thu 22-Jan-15 13:20:36

Hello. I'm so sorry to hear of your loss. In answer to your question, I say keep anything and everything that you want. I wish I'd kept more. I think it's better to keep things and you can always review whether you still need it later. Put whatever you have left in a box put it away somewhere safe - that's what I'd do. Before I eventually had a successful pregnancy, the hospital letters were the only proof I had that I'd been pregnant. I don't know why I needed something tangible to remind me that I had carried life in me... Whatever you decide to do, it'll be the right thing.

Good luck and take it easy. Xx

(I'm a little late here. But I'm on another thread seeking advice about a different matter and I always feel obliged to answer some other's questions too- giving and taking...)

blacktreaclecat Thu 22-Jan-15 13:25:38

I'm so sorry for your loss.
I haven't kept anything. I do have an angel charm on my pandora bracelet and an angel that goes on the Christmas tree in memory of our losses. I sent ARC Christmas cards one year in memory of our tfmr angel.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: