Talk

Advanced search

Thought was 7 weeks and misscarrying... But measuring 3-4??

(4 Posts)
Andifyoudontfirstsucceed Mon 29-Dec-14 13:42:40

I have been bleed and clothing with cramps since Wednesday. I had a scan today says that clots err trying to leave my uterus and that something measuring I think 3 weeks was at the top... Were my dates wrong? I was asked ... Nope.

Have had blood taken and told to come back in 2 days... Don't know what to think now! Is there any hope?

bakingtins Mon 29-Dec-14 13:56:59

Sorry, Op it is very hard when they are so vague and you are left wondering. From about 6 weeks you expect to see a bean with a definite heartbeat, and it should grow 1mm a day. It's quite possible to measure a few days out if you don't ovulate day 14 of a 28 day cycle, but assuming you had a positive test 3 weeks or so ago you should have a heartbeat by now. The blood test is for HCG levels, a single reading isn't easy to interpret because they can vary a lot in a viable pregnancy, but they should be approximately doubling every 48 hrs, if they are static or falling it's inevitable that you'll miscarry.

Andifyoudontfirstsucceed Tue 30-Dec-14 08:44:22

Thanks for this... It's what I thought... Just made to think somehow I ended up pregnant again?

bakingtins Tue 30-Dec-14 09:33:25

It's called a missed miscarriage - the pregnancy sac stops developing early on (in your case, sounds like that happened before a foetal pole would be visible at about 5 weeks) but your body takes a while to recognise that and continues to think it is pregnant for some weeks afterwards. Because there sometimes is a discrepancy in dates the policy is just to "wait and see" and rescan in 1-2 weeks if a natural MC has not happened, in case it is a viable but much earlier pregnancy. If you are pretty sure from when you ovulated/got a positive test that it's not possible you are only 4 weeks along then you need to prepare for bad news. flowers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now