Talk

Advanced search

has anyone else been prescribed contraceptive pill after mc ?

(9 Posts)
snowface Thu 18-Dec-14 21:48:12

Hi,
So I've been going through a miscarriage for the last 3 weeks now. I was at 11 weeks when I found out that the baby hadn't been growing, had what I thought was a natural miscarriage the week after, but found out at the next scan that there was still stuff in there. I was given the pills to try help, but at my scan yesterday they said there is still some bits to come out. I was given the option to either have a d&c, but they said that as it's not urgent, it wouldn't be until after the ny now, or to take the contraceptive pill for two months in the hope that the rest comes out with my periods.
I've not heard of this option before, has anyone else? The dr said that there was no emergency and I don't need to worry about what is in there, it's apparently only 1cm, but that it will need to come out if I want to get pregnant again.
Since I'd have to wait for the d&c anyway, I think I might as well try this other option because I would still rather avoid surgery if possible, and at least I would be doing something whilst I am waiting. I've never even been on the pill before.
Just wondered if anyone has done this?
Thanks xx

bakingtins Fri 19-Dec-14 07:02:39

I wouldn't take hormonal contraception if your intention is to TTC again in the short term (next few months) The first AF after a natural or medical miscarriage is often heavy/clotty even after a 'clear' scan there are some fragments left behind. Your hormones may take a cycle or two to get back to completely normal anyway, why interfere with that process? Use a barrier method, most women would not be feeling like swinging from the chandelier every night anyway.
I've never heard of anyone given that advice before, though the advice not to TTC until after a period is common.

snowface Fri 19-Dec-14 12:36:49

Thanks for replying bakingtins. I think that the idea of the pills is to regulate my cycle or something, the dr said that the disadvantage would be that we couldn't ttc obviously. And she [dr] prescribed high oestrogen ones because she said it would help to flush out the fragments.
I am incined to just leave it to nature and have another scan after my next period without the pills.

RainyLion Fri 19-Dec-14 12:44:17

I'm surprised that they said it wasn't an emergency as when the exact same thing happened to me they took me in for a d&c straight away, on the same day. I was quite worried about it at first but please don't be as it isn't actually that bad and once it's over you can go back to recovering at home safe in the knowledge that it's 'over'. I wish I had done it at first to be honest, rather than do through the whole medical management for 3 weeks.
Can they definitely not fit you in before Christmas?
Sorry that you are going through all of this, it's horrible.

snowface Fri 19-Dec-14 18:27:20

Thanks Rainy, yeah I was surprised to be honest. I was quite worried before the scan, and worrying about infection if anything was still in there but the dr really didn't seem concerned so I suppose it has put me at ease. I asked about the risk of infection and she said it was less than if I had the op. The dr explained the benefits and risks of each and I just felt that I preferred to avoid the d&c. I don't know why I am not considered an emergency and you were? I sort of feel like it is over now, my body is returning to normal slowly and I am trying to get on with normal life. I do feel a big empty hole now and the emotional recovery will probably take a while longer. I hope you are ok. I am sorry for your loss too and that you have been through this. It really is horrible sadflowers

RainyLion Sat 20-Dec-14 12:00:03

Thanks. I'm not sure, maybe I had more left I guess. I hope it a gets sorted soon, then it's easier to start to come to terms with it although it takes time. I'm 10 weeks pregnant again now and paid for a private scan this time and all looks good so far, so fingers crossed that you have a happy ending in the new year too x

snowface Sat 20-Dec-14 13:00:35

Aw that's fantastic news Rainy, congratulations..!
Do you mind me asking how long you waited before ttc after your mc? x

RainyLion Sat 20-Dec-14 13:38:00

Thanks! We started trying straight away but it look 4 cycles. I guess that's how long it took for my body to get back to normal.

snowface Sun 21-Dec-14 17:56:57

thats really great Rainy, it sounds like you have had a really tough year too. Its lovely to hear a happy ending to your story x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now