Talk

Advanced search

medical management at home - any experiences?

(47 Posts)
gingerbreadmam Thu 04-Dec-14 15:16:32

hi

i should be 13 weeks pregnant but discovered 4 weeks ago that i had mc at 5 weeks. my hospital sent me home to mc naturally but it hasnt happened.

i spoke to hospital yesterday and am popping in this evening. they told me on the phone i would be offered medical management to take at home. has anybody had this and can you tell me your experiences?

i am reading up online but all i can see is about medical management in hospital with pessaries but the hospital implied it would be an oral tablet.

i am petrified after reading peoples experiences of the pain and the blood not to mention if anything goes wrong. i appreciate all experiences even if they are bad i would rather be prepared than thinking its going to be a heavy period as the hospital tells me.

thank you in advance i know it is difficult to talk about at times.

wonkylegs Thu 04-Dec-14 18:03:07

Mines the oral tablet.
I can only give you an idea of where I am now which is a bit before you.
We popped the heating on, made the bathroom a bit more comfortable, made the bed with linen I don't care about & a mattress protector /spare bed for DH, sorted some dark towels, hot water bottle, pads etc.
I took them at home at about 2pm, started to feel uncomfortable about an hour later but it was mainly stomach churning & lots of vile wind.
I started to get terrible back ache & cramping at about 4.30.
Small amount of bleeding & upset tummy started at 5 & vomited (which I wasn't expected) & took painkillers.
I tried to watch a crappy Xmas film but now curled up in a ball in bed on my phone as I'm too uncomfortable.
I haven't wanted to move much.
Glad it seems to have started but I think it's going to be a long painful night.

wonkylegs Thu 04-Dec-14 18:06:53

Mine already hurts more than a period and I've got quite a good threshold for pain. Mind you when they told me what my c-section would feel like when I had DS they were talking bollocks too!
It's better to take painkillers steadily & regularly than wait until you need them as they then build up in your system. Hot water bottle is helping too.
I wasn't prepared for the nausea and vomiting (side effect of oral tablets apparently) - ice cold fizzy water is helping though.

gingerbreadmam Thu 04-Dec-14 18:07:49

oh wonky im sorry i didnt realise u had had the medical management at home. how r u doing? hope u have plenty of painkillers and love and support from ur dh.

i am waiting to sign consent forms as we speak going to take mine saturday morning. not sure why vut i think id struggle more thru the night (like my sleep too much - but stupid shen should have been having a baby ha)

i hope things go as smoothly as possible thinking of u. if u need online support im here.

Got99problems Thu 04-Dec-14 18:13:35

Sorry you're going through this. I had medical management at home at the same sort of stage as you - wasn't half as bad I was expecting. The hospital gave me the prescription strength co-codamol and that sorted the pain, so only feelings really were cramps. After first 12 hours or so it was just like a period.
I needed to take it easy for quite a few days afterwards as felt very drained, but otherwise physically it was ok. Hope it's not too bad for you either x

gingerbreadmam Thu 04-Dec-14 18:19:11

thankyou got99 love ur name big jayz fan btw grin

that is helpful as i am so scared and the hospital have made it sound like it will be bareable. cocodamol are in with my prescription too she said i could take ibuprofen as well of needs be. i will warn work tomorrow. feel bad as have alread had 3 weeks off waiting for it to happen and dealing with it emotionally but cnt be helped.

thank you for sharing and helping with mine and hopefully wonkys nerves.

TeaandHobnobs Thu 04-Dec-14 18:42:43

I'm so sorry ginger, I've seen some of your threads and know you have been having a rotten time sad

I had pessaries only, not the oral tablet. My mc was a blighted ovum (c. 8/9 weeks size sac) and although it was fairly unpleasant, I didn't suffer any extreme pain. I was given cocodamol by the hospital, and only had two doses more in anticipation of pain and hoping to get some sleep, and it was all over by morning (given the pessaries at 5pm, kicked off around 9pm). I was extremely faint the following morning (almost passed out lying down), but that's all. However I had experienced heavy bleeding and massive clots when pregnant with DS, so I was accustomed to the physical experience in a way.

It took me about 3 days to feel semi-back to normal (i.e. able to walk around without feeling faint). I'd recommend getting some spatone sachets to help build up your iron levels again.

Thinking of you and wonky - go easy on yourselves thanks

gingerbreadmam Thu 04-Dec-14 19:02:37

thankyou tea. i am starting to feel better now there is an end in site and people are posting okish stories if you can call them that which is making me feel so much better. i have cocodamol and something for diahorhea plus 6 of the oral tablets.

i didnt even think about feeling week afterwards so that is helpful advice thank you.

gingerbreadmam Fri 05-Dec-14 08:00:45

wonky - if youre still reading just wanted to let you know i am thinking of you and hope you got through the night ok. thanks

wonkylegs Fri 05-Dec-14 08:46:48

Well after a 'good' start everything's stopped again.
Managed to get to sleep at about 1am after a lot of painful tossing and turning, to wake up this morning feeling fine just extremely nauseous & tired.
Not really any bleeding though.
Now trying to work out what to do with myself today.

gingerbreadmam Fri 05-Dec-14 09:39:19

oh heck thats very frustrating, how are you feeling?

did they prescribe you two lots of tablets? they did tell me the first dose sometimes isnt enough. what an awful time for you wonky i hope your are managing and your dh is able to be with you.

wonkylegs Fri 05-Dec-14 10:11:56

Yes I have a second set of tablets to take if these ones don't work, they said to take them tomorrow.
It's so frustrating as I'd geared my head of for this last night and this morning I'm now feeling a bit cheated.
DH is here with me (he booked a weeks holiday 6mths ago to buy Christmas presents - something we've generally failed to do this week due to all of this so thank god for online)

TinyTear Fri 05-Dec-14 10:17:12

I did it last March.

DH took DD out for a walk one hour after i inserted the pessaries at home (had taken the tablets on thursday, this was saturday), i lay in bed for a while and then just sat on the toilet for most of the morning... pain was bad, worse than period pain, so keep up the painkillers they give you...

told DD (2y) that mummy had a bad tummy and just coped... give me a ERPC any time... but as I had had one a few months before they didn't want me to have 2 so close together so it had to be medical management for this one...

look after yourself

gingerbreadmam Fri 05-Dec-14 12:11:15

thanks tiny for sharing. i hope you dont ger anymore bad news sounds like youve been through the mill poor thing.

yes wonky i can imagine that as i am dreading doing this tomo but can see it as a means to an end and keep thinking it will al be over by tomorrow night (the worst of it anyway). how are you feeling sickness / dizzy wise now? i hope that has passed for the time being. so sorry it is becoming even more drawn out for you. feel free to vent on here.

glad your husband has some time off so.you can muddle through together and hope your christmas shopping gets sorted.

TinyTear Fri 05-Dec-14 12:20:55

Thanks ginger

I am actually 22w pregnant now (touch wood, fingers crossed) after treatment at the Coventry Implantation Clinic where I went for further miscarriage investigations... So I hope the light at the end of the tunnel is there... (the medical management one was MC 5)

gingerbreadmam Fri 05-Dec-14 13:01:17

oh heck tiny that is terrinble but so happy you got treatment and are now over halfway there! congratulations hope your pregnancy is a healthy and happy one! so pleased for you!

ToriB34 Fri 05-Dec-14 16:56:51

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

gingerbreadmam Fri 05-Dec-14 18:18:07

thanks torib. i arent bleeding but was prescribed oral. they said its just the same and some trusts use pessaries and some tablets. dont know if thats true. i intend to take them first thing tomo and am hoping the bad bleeding and tissue has passed before bedtime.

drs included codeine in my prescription so hopefully i can cope with that. they definitely said could take ibuprofen too will have to google that then.

thank you for sharing your experience, hope you are well now.

wonkylegs Sat 06-Dec-14 08:40:37

So yesterday was uneventful apart from feeling awfully nauseous and having a churning digestive system all day so just felt rotten without any progress. So will have to take the 2nd lot of tablets today and see if that works.
It's making me rather grumpy & short tempered.
We have a relative with us today so she is keeping DS entertained as he loves having her around. We told DS on Thursday that mummy had a baby growing in her tummy but it died and now she was going to be quiet poorly for a bit whilst her body adjusted. We were also quite sad, needed lots of cuddles and if he wanted to know anything about it to just ask.
I'm not sure how much he took in but he's been great. Coming for lots of cuddles asking a few questions but generally just telling me how much he loves me & he wants me to feel better soon, oh & would I like to watch lego ninjago with him?

wonkylegs Sat 06-Dec-14 08:41:13

Gingerbreadmam - hope you are doing ok today.

gingerbreadmam Sat 06-Dec-14 09:38:39

haha you ds sounds amazing bless him. glad he has taken it well and is pulling you through a little.

theres no wonder you are feeling like you are its such an awful wait im so sorry its taking so long. glad u have your dh and relative for support that will be helpful.

hopefully you wont have much longer to wait.

i am ok, taking the medication this morning when get home, had a few jobs to do first. hoping it is speedy and the worst is over by the end of today but can see from your experience that is a big hope.

are you trying again? other people keep telling me if my bodies keeping hold this tight it is very good at carrying baby so that is a nice thought for future.

gingerbreadmam Sat 06-Dec-14 10:04:31

just occurred to me wonky if u were sick maybe thatd why didnt work? just a thought anyway.

wonkylegs Sat 06-Dec-14 10:23:40

Yep we're going to try again but I think I'll be a wreck worrying.
DH thinks it's probably not that but my body's reaction. When they tried to induce DS (which uses similar stuff) they had to try several times and then it didn't work very well... And I ended up with section. Apparently I have a strong cervix that likes to stay closed.
I'm sure it's just my body being hard work.
I hope yours goes much more smoothly. Thinking of you.

gingerbreadmam Sat 06-Dec-14 10:42:36

thank you wonky. good luck for today.

ive just took mine had to throw em in quickly cos seems so wrong. in now guess its just a waiting game from here.

gingerbreadmam Sat 06-Dec-14 14:26:47

just an update from this end, took my tablets just before 11. started bleeding lightly about an hour later. ive had an uncomfortable back / pain and took ibuprofen about half hour ago to try to settle that. Ive now got hot water bottle too. i feel ok it is more annoying than anything.

felt massively dehydrated since taking tablets which was weird and also experienced the feeling a bit sick, dodgey knotty tummy.

tmi - just had tiny clots when wiping and pressing. looks like im in for the long haul too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now