Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Stillbirth/miscarriage history on his side

(6 Posts)
MishMooshAndMogwai Sun 23-Nov-14 22:16:26

Hi everyone,

I've tried googling but not found much apart from scaremongering!

A bit of back ground, I have a dd with a different partner and am now 5 weeks pregnant with my dp. I had a mmc in July at 11 weeks which was my first miscarriage.

Dps mother and sister have both sadly suffered several MCs and a stillbirth.

I'm wondering if the fathers family history of such things can effect my pregnancy or is it based on my genetics alone? Does that sound silly? Is it obvious if men do/don't carry pregnancy related genes?

I'm not for a second blaming my mc on his genes, these things happen, but for future can I really stop worrying at 12 weeks or will I need to make the midwife aware of it in case of extra complications?

Thanks

bakingtins Sun 23-Nov-14 23:00:32

I think I'd be more worried if that history was on your side of the family. I suppose there might be a dodgy gene carried on his side that could contribute to pregnancy losses, but most miscarriages are due to random spontaneously arising problems in the embryo, not genetic defects carried by either parent (which can cause recurrent miscarriage but would be rare) and most losses due to damaged chromosomes occur early in first trimester.
Hopefully your current pregnancy will be successful and you will not need to pursue it. There is a test called karyotyping which checks the parents chromosomes, but it's no longer a standard part of testing even for recurrent miscarriers because it's not often useful.
Best of luck with your pregnancy flowers

MishMooshAndMogwai Mon 24-Nov-14 09:28:35

Thanks baking I'll try to stop worrying a bit. People seem so set on 12 weeks and are treating it as some kind of finishing line, it's really not is it, I'm so worried about finally stopping worrying beyond 12 weeks only for something to happen later on!

bakingtins Mon 24-Nov-14 12:54:49

If all is normal at 12 weeks you have a 99% chance of taking home a baby. There is always that 1% chance of a late loss or still birth, but at some point you have to relax and start to believe that it will be ok this time. Pregnancy after MC is tough, but don't let your anxiety get out of proportion. Hope it's all good at your scan.

MishMooshAndMogwai Mon 24-Nov-14 23:30:21

Thanks again baking I'm struggling a little bit with positivity but I've accepted that my symptoms are much stronger this time despite no sickness yet but I'm not 6 weeks yet which is when they say it kicks in properly and I don't remember how much I got last time, I have a feeling I was only sick a handful of times with dd.

Only time will tell, I need to stay positive and cheer up!!

bakingtins Tue 25-Nov-14 13:34:33

Have you joined a pregnancy after miscarriage thread? Lots of ladies on there going through similar, it can really help with the scanxiety!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now