Talk

Advanced search

Miscarriage bleeding - could someone tell me if this is normal please?

(6 Posts)
jamtomorrow1 Wed 05-Nov-14 08:47:21

Hello all,

I started to bleed last Thursday and started to miscarry in earnest in A&E in the early hours of Saturday morning. I had a scan on Monday morning which confirmed no foetal tissue left. All pretty horrible. The bleeding had started to slow a bit but as of early this morning it is really quite heavy again and I have really bad stomach cramps. I was told, in the limited, useless information the hospital half-heartedly gave me, that I would bleed for about two weeks but no one said how much and how painful it would be. Is this normal? If so, does anyone have any tips on pain relief? Ibuprofen and a hot water bottle is doing absolutely nothing for me at all.

Thanks very much, would really appreciate some advice from people who have been there and done it as this is my first (hopefully last) m/c.

Flower29 Wed 05-Nov-14 09:23:35

Hi jam, so sorry for your loss it's such a terrible thing to go through. I had a mmc 6.5 weeks ago and bled more or less constantly for 5.5 weeks. My bleeding seemed to slow down to spotting and just when I thought it was ending I would get crampy and the next day the bleeding would be heavier again, this happened about 4/5 times. I also had a heavy bleed about 3 weeks after when I had to wear maternity pads and sit on the toilet for half hour but luckily it slowed down so didn't have to go to a&e. I seemed to have cramp followed by a bit of tissue and bleeding, so it was as if my body kept having a go at pushing the last bits out. I had paracetamol, sometimes with codeine which seemed to work when it was at it's worse. The last bleeding I had was like a light/medium period and after this the bleeding seemed to stop abruptly which was a week ago.
If you are struggling with pain relief maybe you could see your GP for something stronger. Also if you have any smelly discharge combined with pain it could be sign of an infection so just bear this in mind. I hope you're feeling better (physically at least) soon, it's so horrible when the bleeding drags on, as if it's not bad enough losing a baby you have this constant reminder as well. flowers x

jamtomorrow1 Wed 05-Nov-14 09:41:41

Thanks very much - that's really helpful. The thing about a cramp and then a burst of bleeding is exactly what I am having too, so it's good to know that it is pretty standard. I will buy some cocodamol over the counter and see how I get on. The whole thing is just really grim.

Flower29 Wed 05-Nov-14 09:56:20

Yes I don't think the EPU or GP really tell you what to expect and what is normal because it varies so widely between women. After the first couple of cramps/bleeding I came to expect something would pass the next day after cramping. I also had a scan 3.5 weeks after which they said was clear but I had thick lining, hence the bleeding. However after this I also passed a couple of pieces of tissue which must have been too small to pick up on the scan or embedded in the lining maybe?? It's very difficult but you sort of have to trust your body to heal itself, even though you feel it's betrayed you in the first place. The only thing I'd say is expect it to drag on a while longer, then you won't get your hopes up (like I did numerous times). Take care xxx

Clairejessica123 Fri 07-Nov-14 12:18:32

I'm so sorry for your loss. I know after my mmc they didn't really explain what to expect either. I bleed on and off for almost 3 weeks with no real pattern. I also found my first period to be like this. Not overall heavy most days but lasting 3 weeks again. If an all concerned your gp should offer you a swab and scan. Like flower said mine also stopped almost overnight.

Mitzimaybe Fri 07-Nov-14 12:23:54

I can't remember how long the heavy bleeding lasted but it was a good couple of months before the spotting and on/off bleeding finally stopped, for me. You're only a week in so I reckon yes, it's normal.

Sorry for your loss.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now