Talk

Advanced search

Threatened miscarriage...how many go on to be normal pregnancies?????

(24 Posts)
Nemo1977 Thu 25-May-06 19:18:31

Just wondering really. I have had 2 early mcs, a missed mc and DS was a threatened mc. Am having another threatened mc at the moment and having a scan on monday to check everything. The only pregnancies I have had not to involve bleeding were DD and the missed mc. So what are the odds of people being told they are having a threatened mc and it going on to be a normal viable pregnancy?

katzg Thu 25-May-06 19:19:41

i've got a 3 year old who was a threatened miscarriage

Nemo1977 Thu 25-May-06 19:25:52

thanks katz

Piccalilli Thu 25-May-06 19:26:48

Sorry v anecdotal not scientific but my secretary in my old job had very heavy bleeding every couple of months through her pregnancy and now has a beautiful bouncing 18 month old.

colditz Thu 25-May-06 19:27:13

I've got 2 boys who were both threatened miscarriages.

Nemo1977 Thu 25-May-06 19:28:05

piccalilli anecdotal is good!!
Just trying to work out odds of things being ok as my early mcs always started heavy bleeding and went straight to clots within a few hours.

serenity Thu 25-May-06 19:43:31

Both DS1 and 2 were repeated threatened m/c's. I bled on a regular basis pretty much all the way through. Strangely enough, like you, I didn't with DD (sick as a dog instead!)

cece Thu 25-May-06 19:43:48

I had a missed mc after about 2-3 weeks of very occasional brown spotting and one hour of slight red bleeding.

Nemo1977 Thu 25-May-06 19:46:13

mmm wondering if its a boy thing!!

Cece sorry about missed mc i know how horrible they can be.

cece Thu 25-May-06 19:52:05

thanks - luckily I breezed through my first two pg - the worst thing was the piles! . So it was a bit of a shock when it all happened...

Nemo1977 Thu 25-May-06 20:17:56

am sure it was a shock..ours was as it wasnt discovered until I was 15wks.

rosylizzie Thu 25-May-06 20:41:43

Hi Nemo - my last pg caused me to leave Dec 2005 thread for quite some time as it threatened to mc from weeks 8 -13, repeated havey bleeds with episodes of cramping too
result is 5 months old and still not down for the night!!!
thinking of you and hope it turns out OK

Nemo1977 Thu 25-May-06 20:43:43

rosylizzie I remember you on dec o5[DD is 16th dec]. Am glad all turned out well...those 5mth olds tire you out dont they

Rhubarb Thu 25-May-06 20:48:50

I was 6 weeks. I was at a friend's dds christening. Walking to the party afterwards I felt something seep out, it felt like period blood. I went to the toilets as soon as we got there and checked, it was blood. The mum got us a lift back home and I got stomach cramps soon after, I was convinced that a miscarriage was on the way. We went to the after hours clinic and they gave me an appt for a scan in a week, but they said it was most likely to be a miscarriage and I just had to sit and wait. A week later, no more blood, the scan showed a heartbeat, he was still there! The explanation was 'messy implant'.

Hope everything goes well Nemo.

Nemo1977 Thu 25-May-06 20:57:17

thanks Rhubarb. I am around 9wks now and had an implant bleed about 3 wks ago so will see what happens.

toadstool Thu 25-May-06 21:08:33

I had a threatened mc at 12 weeks: red blood in a gush, cramping overnight and red blood, but scan showed fetus was fine. Followed 2 months of brown blood, though (horrible experience), but all was OK, and she's now 4. Sadly the exact same thing started to happen a month ago, at 11 weeks, but it was a missed mc. So, it's not an exact science. Good luck with your pg, and I hope all goes well.

eemie Thu 25-May-06 21:23:06

Half of bleeds in pregnancy have no adverse consequences (Lesley Regan's figures).

serenity Fri 26-May-06 16:32:14

One of the journo MNers did a good article in Junior a while back about bleeding in pregnancy, but I could never find it online. Maybe they know, I'll ask.

serenity Fri 26-May-06 19:48:06

Apologies if it's too long for words.....

Header] Why bleeding needn't mean disaster
[Standfirst] “Seeing red” can be one of the most distressing things to happen in your pregnancy – yet it often doesn’t herald any major problems.

“I was in court with a client when I started bleeding,” recalls lawyer Anjali. “I was four months pregnant – in fact I’d just started thinking I could relax a bit; I went to the loo and found I was having what looked like a heavy period. I had to stuff paper towels into my knickers and go and tell the client I was a bit poorly – poor thing, he had no idea what was going on – before one of my colleagues rushed me into hospital to be checked out.”

Bleeding in pregnancy is surprisingly common. It happens to at least one in four women in their first few months, and quite a few after that; and it’s almost always alarming. After all, your pregnancy kicks off when your period fails to arrive and any spotting, or worse, is bound to trigger fears that everything’s coming to an abrupt halt. But plenty of women go on to have healthy full-term babies even if the medics never establish why they had one or more bleeding episodes along the way.

“Up to 12 weeks bleeding can be entirely normal,” says Dr Maggie Blott, consultant obstetrician at the Royal Victoria Infirmary in Newcastle upon Tyne. Dr Blott doesn’t believe in “breakthrough bleeding” around the time when you’d have a period if you weren’t pregnant. Instead, she cites other reasons why you’d bleed at roughly around this time. “It’s quite common around six to eight weeks when the embryo implants in the uterus, because the whole of the uterus lining is prepared for implantation and when the embryo implants in one spot the rest of the lining may be lost.” You do need to get it checked, she stresses – especially if you’re having abdominal pain as well, which could suggest an ectopic pregnancy (where the fertilised egg implants in the fallopian tubes rather than the uterus – and needs to be treated urgently to prevent further damage to you).

“I did bleed dead-on around the time when I’d have had my period,” says Elena. “There wasn’t much of it but I can remember sitting on the toilet thinking 'oh, that's it then' and feeling a bit sad and deflated. I imagined screaming ambulances, but I got a very low-key response from the out-of-hours doctors: one said ‘rest’, the other said ‘carry on as normal’ and both of them had the attitude that if I was miscarrying, there was nothing they could do till the following Monday, when I could go in for a scan if I was still bleeding.”

Dr Patrick O'Brien, consultant in obstetrics at University College London Hospital, explains why so many women get a similar response. “Yes, you should be checked, but unfortunately there’s usually nothing we can do to stop the bleeding at this stage.” Emily, who’s now 30 weeks pregnant, found herself bleeding one Saturday morning at about eight weeks in. “I rang NHS Direct, and eventually a doctor did get back to me, saying ‘well, if you are going to lose it, you will lose it’, to rest, and that if it didn’t stop I should go to Accident and Emergency. I ended up having an emergency scan on the Monday, and it was only then that I really was reassured. I didn't have cramps and now know that this was probably implantation bleeding, but it was very horrible at the time.”

A scan can’t stop the bleeding but it will check how both you and the embryo are doing, and where the placenta is – if it’s low down in the uterus, a further internal examination could trigger more bleeding. Some doctors start with a speculum examination instead, which won’t disturb a low-lying placenta but will also check the state of your cervix, and whether it’s open and/or “eroded” (the lining has extended to the outer side. “You should be asked for a detailed history of your pregnancy, whether you’ve had any pain, and so on,” adds midwife Sue Macdonald. “Take along any stained pads or clothing to be checked as well. If you’ve lost a lot of blood you may be in shock, which might mean you need a drip, and your ‘input and output’ (all the fluids going into and out of your body) will also be monitored.”

For some women, of course, this sadly is the end. If it does look as if you are miscarrying, most hospitals will offer three choices: to let things happen naturally; a dilation and curettage (D and C) operation, either now or later; or medication to induce contractions. “Women make their decision for themselves. It depends on how you are,” says Dr O’Brien.

In the second trimester – 12 to 24 weeks – bleeding tends to be much less common. “A small amount isn’t that worrying, although obviously you should speak to your midwife about it,” says Dr Blott. “If it’s heavy, go to hospital – to an early pregnancy unit, if there is one. And if you have severe abdominal pain, which could mean that the placenta is coming away, it’s urgent.” A low-lying placenta or a cervical erosion can both cause bleeding at different times – but, as Sam found, sometimes women bleed for reasons nobody can establish. “I had bleeding with both my two boys and I was given all sorts of reasons at different points, from a polyp to placental abruption to cervical erosion. After my first dramatic bleed at around 11 weeks I had some bleeding, like a period, every three or four weeks – and each time I’d panic a bit. I used to go down to the hospital first thing, straight to A and E and have a scan at the early pregnancy unit. I got quite into the habit of it, going down in the morning to save myself an overnight wait, and collecting scans of both the babies stage by stage. By about the sixth or seventh month it was much less frequent, and by then I could feel the baby move, too, so I was much less worried. And funnily enough it didn’t happen at all with my third baby, who was a girl.”

If you do bleed at this point, you don’t necessarily have to follow the traditional advice to put your feet up, says Dr O’Brien. “These days, we don’t think rest or exercise make much difference, although if you do notice that over-exertion makes you bleed more it’s obviously a good idea to stop. And although your iron intake will be routinely checked anyway, it’s sensible to take extra iron if you’re losing blood.” If you’re rhesus negative and you bleed you should also be offered Anti-D to prevent your body forming antibodies against any foetal blood which may have got into your bloodstream during the bleed.

Bleeding after in the last trimester is, as Dr O’Brien puts it, “a whole different ball game. If the baby is likely to be affected, we may have to think about delivering it.” “The quantity of the blood isn’t linked to the seriousness,” adds Dr Blott. “If you’ve got any bleeding, see your midwife or obstetrician straightaway, even though it’s usually nothing to worry about.” This is the stage where Olivia was rushed into hospital with full-scale placenta praevia (where the placenta covers the whole opening to the cervix). “I’d known about it from early on, but at 20 weeks blood absolutely poured out of me, literally as if someone had turned the tap on. It didn’t hurt at all, but it actually bounced off the floor with a pinging noise. My husband rushed me to hospital, swathed in towels – fortunately it had died down slightly – and I was kept in overnight, with steroid injections to mature the baby’s lungs in case they needed to do an emergency Caesarian. I was allowed home – which looked a complete bloodbath, because my husband hadn’t been able to clear up – but after another bleed a couple of weeks later I had to go back and stay in hospital as immobile as possible – until the baby was delivered, absolutely fine, by Caesarian a couple of weeks before his due date.”

Bleeding, agreed all the women interviewed for this article, is bound to scare you stiff. As Sam put it, “No matter what, blood is meant to stay inside you, and you know something’s not quite right if you’re losing it”. But the important thing is that they all took these pregnancies to term. “Yes,” concludes Dr O’Brien, “you should always take it seriously. But remember that for most women who bleed in pregnancy, it all settles down and both they and the baby are fine.” If it happens to you, it’s likely that you’ll have a happy ending too.

[box insert] Becky’s story
I was five weeks in when I first noticed that I was spotting. A scan showed that it wasn’t ectopic, there was a heartbeat and everything looked OK; and they sent me home, saying I might or might not lose the baby.

This carried on for a few weeks. A second scan at the early pregnancy unit showed a healthy baby with a heartbeat, and no obvious cause for the bleeding. Then one day at a routine hospital appointment, I suddenly started gushing blood – sorry, there’s no other way to put it – and they rushed me into the delivery suite for lots of embarrassing and terrifying internals while I watched the doctor’s gloves get progressively bloodier. Eventually another scan showed that I had a haematoma, a bleeding bruise or clot, on my placenta.

So over the next few months I was walking round feeling like a time bomb but having to try and think positively at the same time. Every day I spotted, most days I bled moderately and on a few occasions I gushed, yet every scan showed a healthy baby. My midwife explained that there was an increased chance of premature labour or premature induction, and also a chance that I would in fact lose the baby if the bleeding got to a level that meant the baby wasn’t getting what it needed from my placenta. However, I had a long bleeding-free stretch towards the end, they decided to let me go as far as I could naturally – and unbelievably I actually ended up induced, two weeks late (and the size of a not so small country) after all the earlier worries. And when I pushed my baby out and saw how perfect he was all the worries from the previous months just washed away.

I now make a point of trying to reassure people who bleed in pregnancy, because I can so empathise with that feeling of terror when you see red. It really, really doesn’t have to mean the worst.

Nemo1977 Fri 26-May-06 19:59:05

Serenity thanks so much for that its very reassuring.

Mirage Fri 26-May-06 21:57:17

I've got two dds who were both classed as threatened miscarriages.I had 2 bouts of bad bleeding with both of them.

My mum bled so much with my sister,that she didn't realise that she was pg until she wass 5 months.She thought she was having erratic periods.

I hope everything works out for you.

JendleWendleBells Mon 29-May-06 12:12:15

I am possibly having a m/c at almost 8 weeks. I think the message is: Stay positive, until you know you have to be negative. So I'm off to take my folic acid! Bank Holiday weekend the worst time ... no early pregnancy unit open for a proper scan.

Nemo1977 Mon 29-May-06 12:32:24

Jendle thinking about you!!

Had my scan this morning and everything is great with the baby. Could see it very clearly.

mygirllolipop Tue 30-May-06 15:27:34

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: